Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Threat Problems need help

So seems like everyone I do on my mage I pull threat and die within first 2min of every fight, my options are pull 10k dps and stay alive because tanks can't hold threat or 14k dps and die.

Didn't know if there were any tricks to it or not its an alt run I do 25 ICC with so dont expect tanks to do much but i'd like to help out where I can.

(Actually did 19k dps with all cds popped on heroic 25 rotface and died as soon as images faded)

O heres my armory:
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-s...us&cn=Arcafist

Quote Originally Posted by Negridoom View Post
    Bolvar: Dammit! Kel'Thuzad, its happened again! I need you to go to get me more ice!
    Kel'Thuzad: But my master, the corner store is all the way in Kalimdor!

You have a nice, giant dick. maybe just insert the tip to start off and you'll cause less tearing. (if you want to post a veiled question simply to post a link about yout "alt" so you can epeen its gear, do it less than 4 months after the content was puggable)

In wow terms.... hold of for 3 seconds and you'll never catch the tank. unless he is terrible, then tell him to reroll a pally.
    Last edited by Exaltednun; 2010-07-13 at 07:07 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    you said it yourself m8tie its an alt run .tbh pace yourself you might do 19k dps in a few seconds pull aggro and die but whats the point when the boss still has 90 percent health left and your dead on the floor .old confucious saying=dps counts for shit when your dead .

Only thing i can say is pace yourself give the tanks sometime to get a lead on your then pace yourself if you gotta stop casting then so be it if you can afford the repair bills go nuts lol because if you dont pace yourself you,ll be licking floor tiles the entire run m8tie.

I,d have a chat with the tanks see if they can help maybe a vigilance etc or when not to blow cooldowns etc some tips and pointers.
    Faith Manages

Quote Originally Posted by Exaltednun View Post
    You have a nice, giant dick. maybe just insert the tip to start off and you'll cause less tearing. (if you want to post a veiled question simply to post a link about yout "alt" so you can epeen its gear, do it less than 4 months after the content was puggable)

In wow terms.... hold of for 3 seconds and you'll never catch the tank. unless he is terrible, then tell him to reroll a pally.
    1 never boasted was stating the reason i Thought i pulled aggro, if you want to see me boast I have 8 80s this ones the least geared of all 8 and i can still run circles around you,now go die in a fire k thx.

@ lezrain it seems all our tanks are either paladins or dks, paladins have to fail to not pull more threat then any dps class especially with tricks and mds available( my mains a paladin tank) I really think its me at start but if i pop cds off the bat can usually get em off atleast 3 times more on lk

You could do invisibility, shortly before images fade out. If you have a warrior tank you could
    ask him to give you the Anti-Threat-Buff (which IMHO makes a lot of sense on a mage).
    If you have a Paladin tank you could ask him to give you Hand of Salvation regularly.

The core to your problem IMHO is that you - like myselves in my Arcane 2nd spec - have
    only 20% Aggro reduce. Tanks *should* be able to cope with that. But fact is not all of
    them can do (Actually I wonder a bit on your spec, the usual reason to not spec into 40%
    aggro reduce is to skill Slow for Saurfang hm and LK, but you don't have Slow). So one
    option of course would be to spec into 40% Aggro reduce (but as I said - tanks SHOULD be
    able to handle an arcane mage with 20% Aggro reduce).

Another question is if all hunters and rogues gave their aggro-transfer thing to the tank.

Was the problem in your arcane or your fire spec?

I also recommend the addon "MyThreat" where you see your percentage of threat to the aggro
    holder (and his name) in a small number on the middle of the screen, I always (I play also
    a high-geared mage) found that extremely useful.

To the people suggesting "Wait 3 seconds": Remember he is a mage. He is putting himselves
    30 seconds out of aggro list on pull. So the tank has quite some time to "catch up". Though I
    suspect in his case the problem is the combination out of 20% aggro reduce on spec + alt tank
    + blow on cooldowns on pull + (I suspect)Heroism on pull.

An arcane mage with only 20% aggro reduce in combination with "all cooldowns" and heroism-on-pull might have to use invisibility before images fade (one more reason why I think heroism
    needs to come at 35%... added to that several classes profit more of it). Without heroism
    the tank should be able to hold it, I think.
    Last edited by MagicSN; 2010-07-13 at 07:23 AM.

Oh oh! I have an Idea... why don't you spec into some bloody Threat Reduction!? Not just one point... No no, the full mile, 20% Threat Reduction for Fire, 40% For Arcane.

In fire, get 1/3 SotM and pick up Burning Soul. In Arcane, I can't suggest too much as I've never cared for it, but I think it might be better to drop a point in Incanter's and get your full 40% Reduction.

Just my Two Cents...

Pop invis 3-4 seconds before images fade and enjoy not dying for a change.
    3seconds of not dps'ing won't cause a 4k dps drop nor will you die.

Or as been said before, spec in threat reducing talents.
    It's the internet. You never know if people are either sarcastic or just bad.

Quote Originally Posted by crazyman View Post
    1 never boasted was stating the reason i Thought i pulled aggro, if you want to see me boast I have 8 80s this ones the least geared of all 8 and i can still run circles around you,now go die in a fire k thx.
    No actually this is in fact a boast thread. There are no special techniques that could possibly exist that you don't already know.

You have 1 point given to Arcane Subtlety for arcane spec and and zero/no points given to burning soul in fire spec. I am sorry but you dont have any right to complain about pulling agro since you have not arranged your talents correctly for threat optimization.

Arcane is a very explosive setup and thats why you have %40 threat reduction from talents. Fire is not that explosive in the beginning but with a bit of luck in hotstreaks, you can cause some real problems for the tank.

In both cases invisibilty is your friend. Especially with 4piece t10 bonus, it may be a must depending on your raid setup and tanks abilities.

But other than that, you must, as a pure dps class, always spec for threat reduction in terms of talents.

Quote Originally Posted by rec0n View Post
    You have 1 point given to Arcane Subtlety for arcane spec and and zero/no points given to burning soul in fire spec. I am sorry but you dont have any right to complain about pulling agro since you have not arranged your talents correctly for threat optimization.

But other than that, you must, as a pure dps class, always spec for threat reduction in terms of talents.
    Actually at his level of gear it is quite "usual" to not spec 40% threat reduction in Arcane.
    The reason is to be able to get 1 point to spec into Slow (for Beasts on hm Saurfang and
    Valkyr's on LK) and this is the only place to take that point from.

The 40% threat reduction spec is sometimes referred to as the "tank baby spec".

Myselves I am a firemage, but I have an Arcane 2nd spec, where I use only 20% threat
    reduction. Yes, on PUG raids with bad tanks I am seriously threat capped. Yes, I have
    to pop invis a bit more often than with the other spec. Asides from that it is perectly playable
    in *non-PUG* raids. Have to admit though I play fire more often.

In his case the weird thing is though he has the 20% threat reduction, but did NOT use the
    point for Slow. The only place were Incanter's absorption still makes sense is Sindragosa,
    but on Sindragosa Fire is better anyways.

No threat reduction on fire makes no sense.

In pugs you're going to have threat issues. I ask for vigilance if there is a warrior tank and I always ask paladins to have a salv ready for me early in the fight after mirrors wear off.

Other than that it's pretty simple. Wait to start dpsing. If the tank is undergeared compared to you or you know from prior experience that they have subpar tps, just count to 10 before you start casting.

Blend of things:

1) If you are in a PuG, prepare to solely manage your own threat.

2) If you run with a guild. Tanks should be watching threat just as much as you, and they should be on top of all taunts and "mocking blow" effects. If not dps looses potential and its a loss to the raid. So tell the tank to taunt.

So, moral of the story, if you are pugging its all you (invis, stop dps.../dance). If you are in a guild, tell your tank to play better.

~~~Side note, you also need to understand mechanics of fights, some bosses can be taunt immune, in which threat is all you (invis/ yell for salv)

15+ Year Old Account
    This is what piss's me off with WOTLK back TBC mainly BT an SWP we had to manage our threat usally the top dps mage/lock was the one who managed their threat.

But now dps dont give a shit about threat reduction or using there threat reduction cool downs yeh the tanks might get MD an TOT but its ASLO YOUR JOB TO WATCH YOUR THREAT.
    Chaotic Serenity - US Frostmourne Alliance 13/13 Mythic

1) Learn to watch your threat with Omen/etc. Pop invis when mirror images right before mirror images fall off, if you still manage to catch the tanks then they are pretty bad or there is a mechanic that prevents them from gaining threat very quickly (read: deathwhisper phase2, etc).

Also, I don't see any reason to not spec into the threat reducing talents fully. My specs are pretty close to ideal (sig should link to my armory) and I can pick up full threat reduction in both arcane and fire.

1/2 arcane sublety and 2/3 incasters your doing it wrong

if you have threat problems, then spec into threat reduction.

Tell the tank to keep a fucking eye on omen and use the damn taunt button. It is there for a reason...

Or keep a eye on omen yourself and pop invis right in time. Specialy if this happens more than once, you should know by now. And spec into thread reduction.
    Ecce homo ergo elk

Spec is okay.
    Zerg all you want ( your fancy 19k dps ) with Mirror Image.
    Use a macro which announces to the tank, in whisper, that mirror image is fading in 5 seconds.
    He will taunt the boss and get your aggro.
    Your aggro is on one line with the tank, you didn't die and the tank gained your aggro.

Taunting means the mage has already gained aggro, which means he's already doing it wrong.
    As many have said, use omen. Keep in mind though that you need 130% threat to pull aggro on ranged fights. So you don't have to pop invis if you're not going 115-120% on said fights, unless it is Deathwhisper where tank constantly gains less threat of course. On melee fights, pop invisibility when if you get to 85-90% threat.
    On Lich King I normally pop invisibility in phase transition between phase 1 and 2, since we will be going in to melee range after the transition.
    Anywaay, if you have warrior tank, have him put Vigilance on you. Atleast as fire since it has so much threat.

Pure, Alliance Turalyon EU 8/8 25 HC