Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Sense, this makes none.

Now, this isn't yet another "omg, horde r gettin moar bases in Cat! qq " thread. However, as we've seen in early Alliance starting areas (Westfall, to be specific), it is said the Stormwind is stretching its resources too much, and spending too much money on the war effort. This is represented by many homeless, and hungry peasants, who eventually become what is to be Vanessa's incarnation of the Defias Brotherhood.

HOWEVER!
    I don't feel this has bee represented very well in the game. From what I can remember, the only real Alliance fortifications we've seen, are the few bases around Durotar and the Barrens, one in the Swamp of Sorrows, and a few improvements/additions in Stranglethorn Vale. Oh, and Sentinel Hill itself. Now, to me, that doesn't really sound like it'd take too much of a toll on the royal coffers. You may note that I haven't mentioned any of the night elves' areas here. That's for two reasons:
    1) The Alliance is still exactly that, an alliance. The races are not organised in a way that they share their wealth as a single force. If humans are going homeless, this is something that is largely effecting the Kingdom of Stormwind.
    2) The wisp allies of the kaldorei create their bases, by drawing wood and stone from the land itself, and help magically shape the resources into the structures they inhabit. Which also goes a long way to explain how the night elves are able to create such bases far more quickly than most other races.

On the otherhand, the Horde have made these changes:
    - Completely revamped and fortified Orgrimmar with dark iron.
    - In Durotar, further reinforced Ogrimmar by creating the Dranosh'ar Blockade outside the city's front gate, and established docks in Bladefist Bay.
    - Comissioned a fairly significant fleet of orcish warships, as seen in Ashenvale, Azshara, the Barrens & Durotar.
    - Comissioned some sort of large airship (the one from Gilneas, that the worgen interfere with).
    - Pushed into Darkshore (from Felwood, seemingly).
    - Fortified Zoram'gar Outpost in Ashenvale with dark iron.
    - Fortified the Mountainfoot Strip Mine in Azshara with dark iron.
    - Fortified Bloodvenom Post in Felwood with dark iron.
    - Established the huge fortress of Desolation Hold in the Southern Barrens, complete with dark iron.
    - Established Krom'gar Fortress, in the Stonetalon Mountains, once more complete with dark iron.
    - Established The Dustbowl, and Apocryphan's Rest in the Badlands, complete with dark iron.
    - Retaking Rockard (Dreadmaul Hold) from the ogres in the Blasted Lands, and rebuilding it with dark iron.

Now, the point I'm trying to make here, isn't that the Horde is taking too much land, and that we should all complain about it. Rather, it seems like an interesting storyline, and quest chain, was given to the wrong faction as a means of bringing back the Defias Brotherhood. If we're honest, doesn't it seem like the Horde are the ones exerting their resources here, and not the Alliance?

Don't forget the colossal Night Elf fortress in Felwood. Mobilizing an army takes a lot of resources as well, so the Night Elves can't just make their buildings and be done with it, the people inhabiting them need food.
    Last edited by Herecius; 2010-07-20 at 09:14 PM.

Deleted
    Varian hasn't been doing his Dailies I guess.

:P

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius View Post
    Don't forget the colossal Night Elf fortress in Felwood.
    And in the Wetlands. And several Worgen bases/cities around the world, including in Stonetalon. The guys just came out of Gilneas and their druids already are growing bases everywhere.

10+ Year Old Account
    Complaining.
    It's easier then moving on in life.
    You can tell WoW changed the MMO for good when players started complaining about the amount of time they sink, into a time sink.

I'm hoping the alliance will either have more things like this implemented by betas end, or it is a patched event that is a response to the hordes aggression.

One thing I'm keeping in mind is that BC had more a horde focus, wrath had more of an alliance focus, and that this may be a pattern.
    "Care about 'er? I love her! I'd kill everyone in the world and myself if she wanted it!"

Don't forget the colossal Night Elf fortress in Felwood. Mobilizing an army takes a lot of resources as well, so the Night Elves can't just make their buildings and be done with it, the people inhabiting them need food.
    I heard that Sentinel Hill camp is the real culprit! Way too lavish.

---------- Post added 2010-07-20 at 09:16 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Irony View Post
    Complaining.
    It's easier then moving on in life.
    Comprehension.
    It is apparently difficult.

tbh the money isnt going towards the war efforts i mean cmon you could say we're loosing.. the money is going towars Fagvarian Chinn's fucking fortress with the moat the big stature of himself and everything hes just so stuck up and full of himself!
    No. No no no no nononnonon

It's not worth worrying about. I personally like that not everything is completely even, as is Blizzard's usual style of storytelling.

10+ Year Old Account
    Logical explanation for all the dark iron:
    Horde have been mining ALOT if you look around some of the zones you notice all the strip mines.
    alliance have not been collecting any resources, minus the lumber-mill in elwynn

10+ Year Old Account
    The Alliance get to be the underdogs. That could result in the Alliance becoming the louder fanboys and fangirls.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Eskinor Is Here View Post
    tbh the money isnt going towards the war efforts i mean cmon you could say we're loosing.. the money is going towars Fagvarian Chinn's fucking fortress with the moat the big stature of himself and everything hes just so stuck up and full of himself!
    The money most certainly is going to war effort. The zone with more Alliance control in the beta so far is the Theramore-Stonetalon corridor, and that needed alot of resources. Heck, they are even recruiting people from the Stockades (which end up looting Camp Taurajo...)

Well if you'll address my first numbered point in my post, you'll see that I've already accounted for that.
    Quote Originally Posted by Shrouded View Post
    It's not worth worrying about. I personally like that not everything is completely even, as is Blizzard's usual style of storytelling.
    Oh no, don't get me wrong. I'm enjoying that too. But unless there's more evidence of an Eastern Kingdoms war effort, I'm convinced this storyline would be better suited to the Horde.
    Quote Originally Posted by Mudkips View Post
    Logical explanation for all the dark iron:
    Horde have been mining ALOT if you look around some of the zones you notice all the strip mines.
    alliance have not been collecting any resources, minus the lumber-mill in elwynn
    Well I've only actually seen one strip mine, and that's in Azshara. Dark iron is only found in the regions of Blackrock Mountain (Burning Steppes, and Searing Gorge). It doesn't really make any sense.
    Last edited by Kalserrar; 2010-07-20 at 10:06 PM. Reason: Eastern Kingdoms, not "Easter"...

10+ Year Old Account
    I believe they mention that it was the war effort in Northrend that bankrupted Stormwind, not the expanson in Kalimdor and the Eastern Kingdoms. Doesn't account for the Horde's lack of poorness, although their martial nature does explain it a bit.
    The goddess in my avatar is Hayley Williams.

Quote Originally Posted by Kalserrar View Post
    From what I can remember, the only real Alliance fortifications we've seen,
    Good thing we haven't seen everything then huh?

Because the Horde has been gathering resources and Varian hasn't?
    Quote Originally Posted by Chakosa View Post
    Welcome to how the game was always and is supposed to be played. Have fun not being able to be an autistic shit anymore.

If Horde is shown as a powerhouse in Cataclysm I'm willing to bet the expansion afterward sees them take a huge hit and Alliance gaining a massive upper-hand. It's the back and forth nature of war.

15+ Year Old Account
    you're on to something, but from what i can see, most horde structures and outposts are mostly made up of wood and i guess bone and stone here and there.

alliance outposts are usually straight up stone, sometimes with iron.

what's more expensive and what actually needed upgrades the most? the horde forts were probably built for free by peons, warsong lumber camp is huge.

also, you've got to question the horde's politics and economics. goblins are billionaires and orcs are pillagers, undead are thieves, i mean, do the math. the alliance is too moral, they have to tax and steal through corruption in order to secure wealth, other than imports.

You would think that once Lady Prestor was removed, they would recall the Stormwind Armies that she had ordered into tactically poor locations and redeploy them to actually defend Stormwind's holdings and defend against the Horde.

You'd also think with a Bronzebeard churning out tons of Earthen, some of them could have been sent to defend Ironforge and it's lands.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

Quote Originally Posted by msdos View Post
    you're on to something, but from what i can see, most horde structures and outposts are mostly made up of wood and i guess bone and stone here and there.

alliance outposts are usually straight up stone, sometimes with iron.
    Except that isn't the case in Cataclysm. The majority of the Horde's outposts are being reinforced with dark iron, and then you have the Forsaken expanding an upgrading all of their territory as well...
    warsong lumber camp is huge
    While this is true, apparently the night elves gain control of a large portion of it, in Cataclysm.
    goblins are billionaires
    I did take that into consideration. But didn't the Bilgewater Cartel lose pretty much all of their money when the ship Gallywix was transporting them on got destroyed in the Alliance and Horde's naval warfare?