Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Leveling @ the time of new expansion on a PVP server?

I'm kind of dreading what its going to be like to try to get to 85 w/ EVERYONE ELSE lvling at the same time too being on a pvp server. I can see it now I'll go to whatever zone lvl 80s go lvl at and there will be like 500 other alliance there but also like 500 horde and every 2 minutes every single person will be ganked leading to extreme frustration , and possibly throwing my laptop off the stairs then punching a hole in the wall..... and/or paying for transfers to PVE server

In previous expansion lvling zones like hellfire peninsula all the quests are exactly the same for both factions leading to inevitable conflict with them , but with like 1,000 people out there ... it could be impossible to do anything , but on the other hand zones like howling fjord are very big and pretty much keep the alliance and horde pretty seperated

So tell me anyone who was on a PVP server right when BC or WOTLK 1st came out... is this going to be a gank fest warzone from hell trying to lvl like I imagine it will be? Was it for you?
    Last edited by BTF777; 2010-07-24 at 02:30 PM.

Things actually tend to lead to an unspoken truce, people are too focused on leveling to bother to kill each other. PvP does often occur in areas where people are waiting for quest mob(s) to respawn however.

Quote Originally Posted by Cluck View Post
    Things actually tend to lead to an unspoken truce, people are too focused on leveling to bother to kill each other. PvP does often occur in areas where people are waiting for quest mob(s) to respawn however.
    Thats good to hear , and it makes sense

Regardless even the sheer ammount of people questing in the same areas on the same faction could lead to massive lack of the mobs needed for quests and have to sit around waiting for respawns even on trash you need to kill 8 of or whatever

I'm thinking this kinda stuff is just more reason for me to make my rogue the chosen one for cataclysm

I got ganked a few times when lvling from 70-80 , can't rly remember from 60-70 i wouldn't worry to much imo :d most ppl will focus on lvling like cluck said and alot of ppl might lvl with random dungeon so..

Uhm... were you around in TBC? Hellfire was a slaughter house.
    ohi

Quote Originally Posted by Kyul View Post
    Hellfire was filled with slowly respawning quest mobs.

lol ><

I was thinking about it and it seems like it could be literally , like trying to quest inside of a 40 on 40 BG

There will always be high-level characters in great PVP gear who think it's hilarious to go destroy newbies.

I had the misfortune of leveling an alt Mage and being about 56 the day WotLK dropped. DK's were ubiquitous, overpowered, and almost completely immune to Mages. I was forced to keep my main around in whatever zone I was leveling in, and relog to beat the snot out of any DK aggressors (and there were plenty just rarin' to try their brand new class out in PVP). Which caused THEM to log their mains. It wasn't pretty.

I don't expect that much will be different in Cat.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

10+ Year Old Account
    Biscuit!

I was late coming to the party, and didn't have a lv70 right at Wrath launch. But, I went over to a friend's place, where he and several more of our guild had gotten together for a long weekend of leveling. They were running around in a group, so ganking wasn't really a problem.

The big problem they had was that resources were scarce.. "I vant you to keel seex snow møøse." Well, all the snow møøse are already dead from the ten thousand other people questing in the same area. It was overcrowded, really, that was the main problem I saw when I was over there.

For the most part, there didn't seem to be a lot of PvP going on, unless it was a fight over nodes or kills. Everyone's attention seemed to be on leveling, and when one of my friends did go on a killing spree, he was chastised by the others in the room.. "You know what you're doing right now? You're NOT LEVELING, that's what you're doing!!"

By the time I got to Northrend myself a few weeks later, it had calmed down quite a bit.. it was more or less the same as it is today.

I don't know if I'll be leveling anyone right away. The 80-85 zones will be overcrowded, and the new zones for worgen and goblin will also be overcrowded from everyone trying out the new races. I do plan on rolling a worgen, and leveling all of my existing 80s to 85, it just won't happen right away. I imagine I'll take a few weeks and level one of my mid-level toons.. I've got a druid in his teens and a mage in his twenties. Those zones should be downright empty right after Cata launch, so I won't have anything to worry about.

The only other concern we'll have a little later is trying to level our new characters (my worgen, for example). There will probably be a segment of the population that will fly around the old zones and gank lowbies. But that's just part of the risk of playing on a PvP server. It comes with the territory. I don't let it get to me. If there's a problem, I'll have four other toons I can play in the meantime while I wait for the guy to leave.

Depends on the server. TBC on andorfail(andorhall) Hellfire was a gank fest non stop even end game.
    Yet WOTLK thing settled down to an uneasy truce but you still had ganking going on as it is a pvp server and some quests did put you in the same places for the same mobs and ore and herbs and other resources :}

So this is better asked to people on the server you play on and the new zones are massive btw so you should still have a chance and if all else fails go level an alt for 1 week then by then people will have moved on you will just be behind them in leveling :}

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Deipfryde View Post
    I was late coming to the party, and didn't have a lv70 right at Wrath launch. But, I went over to a friend's place, where he and several more of our guild had gotten together for a long weekend of leveling. They were running around in a group, so ganking wasn't really a problem.

The big problem they had was that resources were scarce.. "I vant you to keel seex snow møøse." Well, all the snow møøse are already dead from the ten thousand other people questing in the same area. It was overcrowded, really, that was the main problem I saw when I was over there.

For the most part, there didn't seem to be a lot of PvP going on, unless it was a fight over nodes or kills. Everyone's attention seemed to be on leveling, and when one of my friends did go on a killing spree, he was chastised by the others in the room.. "You know what you're doing right now? You're NOT LEVELING, that's what you're doing!!"

By the time I got to Northrend myself a few weeks later, it had calmed down quite a bit.. it was more or less the same as it is today.

I don't know if I'll be leveling anyone right away. The 80-85 zones will be overcrowded, and the new zones for worgen and goblin will also be overcrowded from everyone trying out the new races. I do plan on rolling a worgen, and leveling all of my existing 80s to 85, it just won't happen right away. I imagine I'll take a few weeks and level one of my mid-level toons.. I've got a druid in his teens and a mage in his twenties. Those zones should be downright empty right after Cata launch, so I won't have anything to worry about.

The only other concern we'll have a little later is trying to level our new characters (my worgen, for example). There will probably be a segment of the population that will fly around the old zones and gank lowbies. But that's just part of the risk of playing on a PvP server. It comes with the territory. I don't let it get to me. If there's a problem, I'll have four other toons I can play in the meantime while I wait for the guy to leave.
    That's why they are promoting Battleground and improved LFG tools.

Quote Originally Posted by Nielah View Post
    That's why they are promoting Battleground and improved LFG tools.
    how so? I haven't heard of any LFG improvements?

Edit : anyway my server is horde > Alliance in like every conceivable way , the horde has more players , they are better players , and they are online 24/7 and the alliance only on in the day

I have 2 horde 3 alliance 80s , tbh I'd prefer to take up my rogue or dk to 85 1st ,they are alliance but maybe if I just go into nocturnal mode and lvl my warrior 1st that could lead to a relativley painless run up to 85 ... maybe
    Last edited by BTF777; 2010-07-24 at 02:47 PM.

Deleted
    I Play Alliance on Lightning's blade EU, where the horde : alliance ratio was around 75:25 at the launch of Wotlk. I got ganked 4 times in Coldarra other then that i had no problem at all. And there were ALOT of hordes around, and only a group of 3 that ran around ganking people in Coldarra

10+ Year Old Account
    I will Hank everything in sight, and use my pvp set for leveling. Simple.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BTF777 View Post
    how so? I haven't heard of any LFG improvements?

Edit : anyway my server is horde > Alliance in like every conceivable way , the horde has more players , they are better players , and they are online 24/7 and the alliance only on in the day

I have 2 horde 3 alliance 80s , tbh I'd prefer to take up my rogue or dk to 85 1st ,they are alliance but maybe if I just go into nocturnal mode and lvl my warrior 1st that could lead to a relativley painless run up to 85 ... maybe
    What I meant was, they are promoting Battleground and the already improved LFG tool(s) for leveling.

---------- Post added 2010-07-24 at 02:59 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    I will Hank everything in sight, and use my pvp set for leveling. Simple.
    I'll gank with my pve gear and as fast as I get competition switch my pvp deck on. That should then escalate into total war! <3

Hellfire was filled with slowly respawning quest mobs.
    And thus players camped spawn places attacking anyone comming near. Blizz did really well when they did two starter zones for WotLK.

Deleted
    Phasing and mob respawn rates depending on players in the zone are your friends

Chances are people will be too occupied with power leveling to do any real PvP. At most you'll see some high levels ganking you as they wait for their guild to catch up. By the time many people reach 85, you'll most likely be near or ready for Outlands, so you probably won't encounter much ganking.

^ This indeed. WotLK wasn't so bad at all.
    Words are a wonderful form of communication, but they will never replace kisses and punches. ~Ashleigh Brilliant