Page 1 of 11
... LastLast

Tiny Abomination in a Jar test results w/ pic

I got this trinket last night and the fun and testing ensued. Here are my findings. Some of you may not understand why I took this trinket, but if you look at the newly revised BiS 3.3 list for rets on EJ, you'll see.

Last night I ran ~2 hours worth of testing on target dummies with this trinket. I also brought along a rogue from the guild and let him use it prior to the trinket becoming bound to me.

As others have said, TAJ requires you to be standing right on top of the target of the proc (less than 2 yds). While running tests, I found that many of our abilities can proc a mote. Judgement, DS, CS, auto, and seal damage can all grant a mote.

For AoE testing, I switched from single targeting the boss dummy to attacking the lvl 60 dummies with DS/SoComm. I found that a single DS with SoComm active can provide many motes in one single attack. With a 4stack of motes and hitting DS, I watched as my stack dropped after hitting 8 motes, then rebuilt back up to 2. Many times I saw single DS/SoComm attacks provide anywhere from 3-6 motes while standing in the middle of the 4 lvl 60 dummies.

The proc: It seems that the proc is directed at the target that granted you the 8th mote. While attacking those lowbie aoe dummies, I found that I was not getting the proc once I hit an 8 stack. The stack would reset and no damage proc went off regardless of how close I was standing to my primary target. In this case with 4 targets, you only proc the damage every ~3 stacks because it will likely gain the 8th mote from one of your splash damage targets.

I made one other observation that I found to be pretty cool. When auto-attacking the boss level dummy with Seal of Corruption active, I watched as the TAJ procs actually added Seal of Corruption damage. I could have expected this after hearing that the TAJ proc can also proc poisons for rogues.

The proc damage obviously varies based on your gear. For my tests, the proc damage was 1300-1700 non-crit and 2500-3700 crit. I ran numerous tests and didn't take any screens of them. Because so many abilities can proc a mote, my recount log showed the number of anger procs was very high in comparison to my melee attacks. Going all out with all damage attacks for a total of 200 melee attacks, I gained 119 damage procs from this trinket. So many different attacks contribute to this proc that it is dealing damage on basically every other auto-attack.

In single target testing, the proc comprised of 3.4% of my total damage. For my mutilate rogue guildmate, the proc was 1.3% of his damage. This doesn't factor in the bonus seal damage delivered from the proc or the poison procs for the rogue. His proc damage was 300-400 non-crit and 700-800 crit.

For clarification when i referenced the proc, I was referring to the damage dealing aspect of this trinket. For this post proc=/=gaining a mote.

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

15+ Year Old Account

Re: Tiny Abomination in a Jar test results for ret.

nice research Prentice. lets hope this isnt getting nerfed aka 'fixed'

Quote Originally Posted by iktankniet
    nice research Prentice. lets hope this isnt getting nerfed aka 'fixed'
    A change is certainly mandatory for this trinket. The proc range is super buggy. Lets say that boss has a hitbox that has a 6yd radius. You can normally stand right off the edge of that box and go to town. With this trinket, you need to be within 2yds of his body, not hitbox. Almost every fight requires movement of some kind which will cause you to completely lose the damage benefit from this trinket. Currently, this item is "use at your own risk".

Win7(64)Pro - Intel 3770K @ 4.5GHz - 4x4GB DDR3 G Skill Ripjaws X - XFX Radeon HD 7970 - Samsung EVO 500GB SSD

Did your rogue friend get any procs from poisons ? I think that been fixed. Read it somewhere.
    When I say procs I mean procs, the damage is the full stack of procs.

Quote Originally Posted by psyched
    Did your rogue friend get any procs from poisons ? I think that been fixed. Read it somewhere.
    When I say procs I mean procs, the damage is the full stack of procs.
    We were chatting in vent at the time and he mentioned that the Manifest Anger damage was proc'ing poisons but his poisons were not proc'ing motes.

Re: Tiny Abomination in a Jar test results.

Thank you for testing this so extensively.

Do you still have the logs saved somewhere? If so, could you please check the crit chance on Manifested Anger? Is it equal to your melee critical chance?
    And Christ said to his disciples, "I shall grant you eternal Salvation!"
    The disciples fell to their knees and replied, "Give us kings n00b!".

Quote Originally Posted by Ascal
    Thank you for testing this so extensively.

Do you still have the logs saved somewhere? If so, could you please check the crit chance on Manifested Anger? Is it equal to your melee critical chance?
    I should have mentioned that in the original post. The Manifested Anger proc appears to have the same critical strike chance as the player. My unbuffed crit chance is 38.4%. My logs showed that the proc damage was critting 36.5% of the time. Because I only tested the proc for a few hundred hits, I would assume that the values are close enough to assume they are equal. Also, I was not judging during the test. Therefore, I did not have the extra 3% crit chance provided by Heart of the Crusader.

Interesting.

That range is a huge limiting factor
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Hohenhe%C3%ADm
    http://www.wowarmory.com/character-sheet.xml?r=Lightning's+Blade&n=Caim
    Quote Originally Posted by ScottK15
    skill>penis/vag

Thank you for that very interesting post. I was curious about that trinkwt since I have got DKP saved and gear ready(non hit gear) for it

We will see if they will fix the range and nerf the proc :/

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    I should have mentioned that in the original post. The Manifested Anger proc appears to have the same critical strike chance as the player. My unbuffed crit chance is 38.4%. My logs showed that the proc damage was critting 36.5% of the time. Because I only tested the proc for a few hundred hits, I would assume that the values are close enough to assume they are equal. Also, I was not judging during the test. Therefore, I did not have the extra 3% crit chance provided by Heart of the Crusader.
    If you were not judging, then your actual crit chance should have been reduced on the Boss target dummy, as Melee attacks have a 4% reduced crit chance against Skull mobs.

For rogues refer to this link, TAJ portion obviously.

http://elitistjerks.com/f78/t83763-p...pdated_1_10_a/

I was able to get 5 motes of anger from one melee swing. =o

10+ Year Old Account

Good job prentice, very thorough.

hopefully they fix the hitbox problem...

curious as to how i'm going to manage lowering my hit on my other gear to maximize this trinkets use though...
    Look up, see the buzzards circling?

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Horn
    Interesting.

That range is a huge limiting factor
    That was my deciding factor in taking Death's Choice last night or not. Could have held out until we killed Putricide and hoped it dropped but I was worried about getting a defective item and not having it fixed for weeks or possibly longer.

I posted this information on EJ, so I'll go ahead and share it here for anyone who might be interested. The Manifested Anger proc on Twin Valkyrs accounted for 4.5% of my DPS. Not taken into consideration in that number is the fact that those procs also add Seal of Corruption damage. This little trinket is like having your own TBC Windfury totem in your pocket.

WoL Parse from 01/14/09 using Tiny Abom

These are screenshots of a couple of 10 minute DPS tests on a single target dummy using Seal of Righteousness and Seal of Corruption.

Seal of Righteousness
    Seal of Corruption

Well, this trinket is obviously turning out to be very usefull, and better as we gear, but where does it rank?
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    Well, this trinket is obviously turning out to be very usefull, and better as we gear, but where does it rank?
    I guess it's either better or slightly worse than DV heroic => who cares both of them will probably be BiS :

Quote Originally Posted by Nikoll
    The ilvl 277 Tiny Abomination and the ilvl 258 Death's Choice/Verdict are our two BiS trinkets.

Quote Originally Posted by Serryn
    curious as to how i'm going to manage lowering my hit on my other gear to maximize this trinkets use though...
    Here is a quote from EJ:
    Quote Originally Posted by Exemplar
    New un-provisional recommendation: kill other guild members for this item, even if already at hit cap.

15+ Year Old Account

Quote Originally Posted by Prentice
    Here is a quote from EJ:
    That was pretty funny. I lol'd.
    http://us.battle.net/wow/en/characte...rytoz/advanced

If there's one thing I'm not, it's in control.

Most of this is outdated. Post 13th of January no attacks besides specials and autoattacks can proc TAJ, Bryntroll or for that matter Berserking. Previously even debuff applications such as Vindication was capable of proccing a mote.

Post 13th of January this trinket isn't very potent. Personally I expect to see a fix to it soonish as frankly, it's somewhat obsolete at this point.