Page 1 of 2
LastLast

The Orcish Paradox

Hey

We know several things about Orcish language:
    1. Whenever a horde NPC or player says for example "lol" it will show up as "kek" for alliance.
    2. Hordes always speak orcish with another horde NPC or player.

BUT In the Saurfang event as horde, "High Overlord Saurfang" and "Deathbringer Saurfang" have this conversation:

High Overlord Saurfang yells: Kor'kron, move out! Champions, watch your backs. The Scourge have been...
    Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Join me, father. Join me and we will crush this world in the name of the Scourge -- for the glory of the Lich King!
    High Overlord Saurfang says: My boy died at the Wrath Gate. I am here only to collect his body.
    Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Stubborn and old. What chance do you have? I am stronger, and more powerful than you ever were.
    High Overlord Saurfang says: We named him Dranosh. It means "Heart of Draenor" in orcish. I would not let the warlocks take him. My boy would be safe, hidden away by the elders of Garadar.
    High Overlord Saurfang says: I made a promise to his mother before she died; that I would cross the Dark Portal alone - whether I lived or died, my son would be safe. Untainted...
    High Overlord Saurfang says: Today, I fulfill that promise.
    High Overlord Saurfang charges!
    Deathbringer Saurfang yells: Pathetic old orc. Come then heroes. Come and face the might of the Scourge!
    (taken from wowwiki.com)

He says "...means Heart of Draenor in Orcish.".
    That means he does not speak orcish during that event, because then he would say:
    "...named him heart of draenor. It means "Heart of Draenor""
    what language are they speaking during this event, and how would it "sound" (look) like if you were alliance during this Horde Saurfang Event?
    Thoughts?

Deleted
    He's probably talking in common so the Lich King understands him. It's technically Arthas looking through the Deathbringer's eyes in any case.

10+ Year Old Account
    ??? do you really care about this? its so trivial.
    If actions speak louder than words
    I'll be the most deafening noise you've heard.
    I'll be that ringing in your ears
    That will stick around for years.

10+ Year Old Account
    There is no event for him on alliance, he comes in afterwards, and what he says is in orcish, but never mentions his name.

The Lightbringer
    10+ Year Old Account
    So that's what the horde dialogue for the event is. Always wondered.

10+ Year Old Account
    And a bunch of other stuff after we defeat him

10+ Year Old Account
    I'd say common. Plain and simple.

EDIT: I wasted my 100th post on THIS? :P
    Now it has to be epic.

I'm assuming because it is in common it is for the soul purpose of Arthas and his minions. Arthas of course.. Is human. BUT! Ner'Zhul is Orcish.. And Ner'Zhul is/was part of Arthas' mind. So Arthas would have learnt Orcish by default?

So rather than say the language was Common or Orcish.. I'm going to say that the language is the language of Lore... I'm guessin' :P

EDIT 2: Or a wizard did it.
    Last edited by BOBL1N; 2010-07-25 at 09:25 PM.

Maybe there are 2 "Orcish languages"?

His name meant "Giant's Heart" in our ancient tongue. He earned that name a hundred fold as he stood alone before the demon Mannoroth

(Part of Grom's monument in Ashenvale)

Maybe there is a "Old orcish" and a "new Orcish"?

10+ Year Old Account
    After the alliance version Saurfang comes and talks to Varian and Marudan , and says pretty much the exact same thing.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nomm
    HEY GUYS
    CATACLYSM IS GOING TO RUIN THE GAME.. BUT I CANT REMEMBER WHY!
    Quote Originally Posted by Fiddlesnarf View Post
    I prefer my own description.

The Alliance, we have beards.
    Fuck you.

It's quite possible that pretty much every race tries to speak common there for the benefit of the Ashen Verdict, which is made up of a diverse mix of races.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Sollace View Post
    After the alliance version Saurfang comes and talks to Varian and Marudan , and says pretty much the exact same thing.
    Ahh.. Which further proves my point that:

Quote Originally Posted by BOBL1N View Post
    A wizard did it.

10+ Year Old Account
    babynames . com

is it that hard to believe he wasnt speaking in orcish

he called him by his orcish name...he is not known by his name in the common language.

10+ Year Old Account
    Maybe he speaks common to let the alliance know what they are missing at that moment?
    "Don’t focus on the one guy who hates you. You don’t go to the park and set your picnic down next to the only pile of dog shit."

Just like real life its feasible for characters in a game to learn additional languages too =o

He's speaking orcish, doesn't change him calling his son by name.

Quote Originally Posted by Kralljin View Post
    Maybe there are 2 "Orcish languages"?

His name meant "Giant's Heart" in our ancient tongue. He earned that name a hundred fold as he stood alone before the demon Mannoroth

(Part of Grom's monument in Ashenvale)

Maybe there is a "Old orcish" and a "new Orcish"?
    This.

It's quite possible that the language has changed a bit from the time the orcs came through the portal. Even though many orcs are still alive, many more have been born in the recent years. Thrall himself was raised by humans, and so there's a high chance that some Common has leaked into their language.

Of course, it could be as simple as him speaking Common and/or English for the benefit of the others present and the players.
    God damn those casuals and their utter refusal to ever complain as much as the so-called hardcores.

anyone that came to the thought that Dranosh is a name and does not need to be in another language than Orcish?

I assume it's like how name meanings work irl. My name is Oliver yet I don't go around introducing myself with the literal meaning of my name.
    At one point in history the name and meaning may have meant the same thing in conjunction with each other; but as time and language progresses the name and meaning will be spoken differently yet have the same background meaning, much like what may have happened with the Orcish language.