Ret: Rotations at Rawr

Anyone knows if rotation (clash resolution, to be more precise) comparison in Rawr actually useful for us?

Like, I tried to modify standard J > DS > CS > HoW > Cons > Exo and other variants give more dps.

J > DS > CS > HoW > Cons > Exo: 18217 dps (standard)
    J > DS > CS > Cons > Exo > HoW: 18237 dps
    J > DS > CS > HoW > Exo > Cons: 18247 dps
    J > DS > CS > Exo > Cons > HoW: 18259 dps

Not big deal, 42 dps, but it's free - all you have to do is change clcret presets. The question if it's accurate or not.

I hold it to be accurate. Can't confirm that though.
    Big thanks to Shyama for the sig!

15+ Year Old Account
    I don't believe that RAWR accounts for casts-per-minute- A lot of the time, it will show Glyph of Exorcism as a higher DPS than Glyph of Consecration.

I wrote a tool some time a go that shows pushback times and gives you totals based on time sample. You can give it a try.

uber-logic.com/tools/ret_rotation/

One thing Rawr misses is that keeping Consecration on cooldown will net you more dps over Exo, it deals roughtly as much damage on a shorter cooldown and will leave more free globals up for cooldown crunching whack-a-mole at it's finest.
    Subject to exceptions like stre/AP buffs about to run out will prio Exo.

J > (CS libram stack to 2) > DS > CS <[if 8k ap buffed]> (HoW) > Csc > Exo > HW
    Last edited by Veliane; 2010-07-27 at 07:16 AM.

I've always heard that CS is slightly higher dps than DS (something like 20~ dps).

I keep my rotation as J > CS > DS > HoW > Cons > Exo > HW

Quote Originally Posted by Kaneex View Post
    I've always heard that CS is slightly higher dps than DS (something like 20~ dps).

I keep my rotation as J > CS > DS > HoW > Cons > Exo > HW
    It is because of the reliability of it's shorter cooldown and that it grants the libram buff, but it's a lot more complicated to manage all the other skills without clashing them in a CS rotation.
    It's not a bad idea to use one or 2 CS's before.. but really after the stacking buff prio DS before CS, you stand to win much more than you can lose.

In terms of overall DPS, CS beats out DS and if you run with very little lag you can run a CS > DS priority.

Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    In terms of overall DPS, CS beats out DS and if you run with very little lag you can run a CS > DS priority.
    I'm looking at top parses and DS beats the hell out of CS in both average damage per usage and total damage per fight.

Zurm log

DS average damage: 10078
    CS average damage: 7393

Plus the fact that keeping DS on cooldown as much as possible allows extracting maximum from a Tier bonus. And as far as I know they both trigger Seal.

What I noticed though is that running DS > CS, it can lead to libram stacks being at 3-4 sec left before fall off due to DS chain procs.
    Which can easily lead to losing your stacks if you have some downtime due to bonestorm, etc. Not an easy choice here.

Now, about other 4 abilites, again by Zurm's log:

HoW: 13808
    Cons: 12434 (there were 89 ticks, so I figured it equals to 9 glyphed casts)
    Exo: 9934
    HW: 5734

It does matches perfectly with recommended HoW > Cons > Exo > HW priority.

So, I guess Rawr rotations for ret just aren't modeled accurately.

If you were to cast CS over and over and over again, with no other spells it would end up netting you slightly higher DPS than if you did the same with Divine Storm. Their damage isn't too far apart and since CS will still be up more often than DS it's why this is the way it is. In reality, the difference is about 50 DPS so you're not going to notice it. However, if you're running at 200ms or higher then DS > CS will be better because in high lag situations damage-per-cast wins out.

Personally, I use DS > CS becuase I do have rather higher(350ms) lag on my server . Even then though, I would still use DS > CS simply because RNG will play a part in a short fight given the ICC buff. If there were no such buff, fights would still last fairly long and RNG would average out to the ~6 second eCD that DS is projected to have with 2pc t10.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Badpaladin View Post
    If you were to cast CS over and over and over again, with no other spells it would end up netting you slightly higher DPS than if you did the same with Divine Storm.
    CS>DS is true until you get the 2piece t10 bonus even moere so since CS can procc the bonus so going DS>CS when you have the bonus gives you less chance of wasting a procc but this is on average if you are unlucky with proccs for a fight CS>DS would have been better but the only way to know what would have been better for a specific fight is to analyse the log afterwards and in most cases DS>CS with 2 piece unless you are realy unlucky

Quote Originally Posted by maaghen View Post
    CS>DS is true until you get the 2piece t10 bonus even moere so since CS can procc the bonus so going DS>CS when you have the bonus gives you less chance of wasting a procc but this is on average if you are unlucky with proccs for a fight CS>DS would have been better but the only way to know what would have been better for a specific fight is to analyse the log afterwards and in most cases DS>CS with 2 piece unless you are realy unlucky
    CS can't proc the t10 set bonus, it's melee swings only. As I stated in my post already, since fights are so short now and I do run with some lag I go DS > CS but would go CS > DS if I did not have lag and fights lasted longer.