Page 1 of 2
LastLast

To play a Warlock or not?

So hows warlock this days? I currently have on sitting on Hatefull gear, tried a few bgs, died in seconds from melees..

So with about 1000 resilience and about 27k hp, il still die in a bladestorm? Cause really, from a mage view ( my main ), Warlock aint got anything to escape. Deathcoil lasts 3 secs, and big cooldown, fear, like 10 classes can break it :/

Well your VW has a shield, Succubus can CC. Use your portal as much as possible. What spec are you? i like aff with SL glyph.
    You can get alot of health back with Haunt,Siphon Life, Health stone and Death coil
    Last edited by Croce; 2010-07-30 at 10:12 PM.

Once you get that sort of reilience you can take a bladestorm, but yes given the opportunity you should be using your teleport to distance yourself from that.

Affliction is about sustained pressure and annoyance, which unfortunatly does not suit too well the current burst environment where you have little opportunity to get the ramp up it requires.
    The healthpool changes with the intention of removing the effectiveness of burst are a step in the right direction, and will see if that proves sucessful or not.
    If you can survive the initial assault, then affliction comes into its own.

I always thought it was bad design. They wanted us to tank but stripped off every talent we had about tanking. Yeah Demonic Circle is their reason for this, it's not even on a short cooldown. We don't have a frost nova and we dont have a short cooldown shield like shadowpriests have. In short, you are balanced with a healer. You get caught by a without one, basically kiss your butt goodbye.

Deleted
    Warlocks have always been facerolled by meeles. Sure, we can find a way to adapt to the situation when we're superawesome and outgear them. But that doesn't change the fact that it takes alot more effort for a Warlock to beat, say a DK/Rogue than beating a Mage/Boomkin/Ele shaman/Hunter/Any healer. You simply have to play really smart and either outgear or outskill them.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverrend View Post
    So hows warlock this days? I currently have on sitting on Hatefull gear, tried a few bgs, died in seconds from melees..

So with about 1000 resilience and about 27k hp, il still die in a bladestorm? Cause really, from a mage view ( my main ), Warlock aint got anything to escape. Deathcoil lasts 3 secs, and big cooldown, fear, like 10 classes can break it :/
    Im guessing your mage has better gear than your lock. Anw, you need at least full relentless in order to set foot in a bg and not get roflstomped. Since warlocks are a gear dependant class i suggest you start farming furious as a start and wrathfull off-parts.

Quote Originally Posted by Reverrend View Post

l2p..... and reroll a paladin lol.

I am The Burning Legion - Play Free Online Games

I wanted the Burning Legion Faction

I went on answered the questions didnt think id get it by what i was picking, i got the burning legion faction.

warlocks is the most overpowered class in the game, it has always been that way and will always be. and worgen warlock will make it impossible for everyone else to do anything. Since they are copied from twilight

Quote Originally Posted by CrazyCatLady View Post
    warlocks is the most overpowered class in the game, it has always been that way and will always be. and worgen warlock will make it impossible for everyone else to do anything. Since they are copied from twilight
    either you are retarded or just a troll.

Quote Originally Posted by terrorlord15 View Post
    l2p..... and reroll a paladin lol.
    Pretty usefull comment, Thanks for posting

Atm Warlock is one of the strongest, if not the strongest, class ingame, however in order for it to be strong you'll need good gear, gear you don't have at this point.

Before you are done collecting your gear this season is probably allready over and we have no clue how Warlocks will be when cata goes live so its impossible to give good advice.

Oh, and teleport the bladestorm.

Affliction is about sustained pressure and annoyance, which unfortunatly does not suit too well the current burst environment where you have little opportunity to get the ramp up it requires.
    You are wrong, Affliction substained damage is very high, and it has it spots on the most OP comps in 2v2 and 3v3, Druid Warlock for 2v2 and LSD for 3v3.
    Last edited by Naraga; 2010-08-02 at 10:36 AM.

I'm not saying that you are wrong in your comments, just that CompterNerd isn't wrong.
    He is wrong, since he said Afli doesn't suit too well in the game atm due to burst of other classes, which isn't true.

He isn't wrong about the substained damage and "annoyance" part.

You try putting out the same damage on a single target compared to a destruction warlock.
    Given time you can equal or exceed that sure, but that is the issue.
    It takes time since destruction has far superior burst.
    By the time they have hit with an immolate, chaosbolt and conflagrate, your dots are getting maybe 2 or 3 ticks.
    Burst is king in the current pvp environment, hence the healthpool changes designed to counter it.
    Giving time to react, to counter something in pvp is what this is all about, and blowing someone up over a few GCD's which is what affliction simply cannot do will be gone.

I go into BG's with full raid gear on and pwn. If I get caught by melee and cds are down I die and ressurect. No big deal. Was it a surprise to the OP that you cant stand in bladestorm wearing cloth? We have a teleport. Also we are RANGED you shouldn't be in range of bladestorm if you are you need to gain distance via teleport. Just sounds like you are bad at playing your lock. I could pick up any class and complain it sucks when really the user sucks not the class. Every class has a counter so it depends on the user to make correct choices depending on the class they are facing.

I am posting as a deathknight speaking of BG experience only. I roll with 900 resilience with wrathful/relentless pieces and two piece T10. I play a variety of specs, blood;blood with ghoul;frost DW;unholy arena, but they are all generally the same with some having more burst and some having more control and some having more survivability.

I have no problems killing destruction locks in bgs solo, most of them aoe stun into a fear, but a nice lichborne followed with a AMS and I am in their face and they only have teleport to get away. I can almost always kill them and still have enough life left to engage another player. Sometimes you will get a good lock that uses teleport and DC and fears very well, but that is rare.

Now affliction is another story. They are healing for so much of my damage I am doing to them they just sit there and face tank me. I can interrupt a drain life channel but siphon life and haunt keep them pretty well topped off. They can keep themselves alive long enough to eat through my trinket and lichborn and then I am a sitting duck to fears. The times when I manage to get good interrupts off on bad locks or catch them unaware I mostly can kill them, but die myself shortly afterwards seeing that haunt heal ball go launching off to whatever GY they are rezzing from.

Warlocks are actually a class that requires skill to play, unlike Ret paladins, or DKs, or mut rogues. lol. I actually think if I were playing I would choose affliction because of the ability to self heal a lot, and how many times have you been dotted with corruption and agony while riding past a lock to find yourself at your destination with 40% life? I mean that is stupid. Much like the OP shadow priests right now.

It is like my frost mage, it was no fun at all while I was gearing up because I had pitiful spellpower and once someone got in my face I was toast. Now, that I have a decent set of BG welfares and wrathful offpieces I can take on multiple people at once simply because of the mix of control and burst. Warlocks are the same way, they suck bad until you get decent gear and you learn to use your skills effectively, and then they become a little OP.

My advice would be to roll destruction while you gear up and stick in groups. Fear/banish that tree bitch and lay down some conflags and shadowfury in a group and you will be doing your job even though you are not top on KB or damage meters. Once you gear up you should have enough experience to be able to do some pretty crazy stuff.

An example. I had like a 5 minute fight with a warlock in Strand on one of the guns. He was on defense and as such could use the teleporter pads. It went basically like this, I would close to melee and get a couple of hits off to heal myself up from all the dot damage I was taking and he would either teleport or lock teleport to the top and just ran a circuit around. We would do damage to each other and then heal up. It was like ring around the rosy. Was a super fun fight and we both just did the dance until the game ended because neither of us wanted to concede the "duel". It was a good example of a warlock using terrain and skills to his advantage to overcome a class that normally rapes his face.

Locks do get rolled hard if they don't prepare ahead of time, afflic can get away with it but not destro. Destro if you don't have a succy out, a circle down, healthstone, or additional shards for FD>VW:sac then you're going to die a lot. However destro is like a glass cannon they can get hit extremely hard and get roflstomped hard by melee however with a good circle placement out of LoS and succy and fears at proper times against multiples you can become devestating taking people down from full to nothing in a few globals.

However if you play afflic, stack a shit ton of res and just lawldot+drain life people. And shadowflame does wonders get the glyph- its a must have.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Not sure if it was said but in battlegrounds i prefer destruction. Affliction just doesnt do it for me. In PvE i use demonology. I am in an average guild with dpsers doing 10-17k dps on all fights. I am an above average demo lock and do between 13-17k dps on most fights in ICC. Locks (demo and affliction) require alot of itemization and correct addons for them to do well. Destro will compete with most classes with similar gear til higher gear lvls for PvE. Ive rotated between demonology and destro on certain fights and it just doesnt compare. My demo dps is way above my destro dps. Not sure if its becuz ive played demo since the felguard came out or wut. But right now the only thing destro is good for is battlegrounds, some arena team makeups, pve (at low gear lvls), or 10 man raids without replenishment. Other than that affliction and demo dominate destro and will put u up there with rest of the classes on boss fights if u kno wut ur doing and can manage ur procs and cooldowns correctly.

If you dont have a portal up nearby (not too close, not too far away) you'll die in bladestorm. or shortly after. witch is pretty unfair imo. gonna be pain in the ass to always make sure you have a portal up nearby in rated BGs if some rogue starts beating on you. cloth armor + no defensive CDs + no escape tools + pet that takes 120% dmg in bladestorm = bye bye.

Quote Originally Posted by Naraga View Post
    Atm Warlock is one of the strongest, if not the strongest class ingame.
    Im gona have to disagree with you. Warlock might be one of the strongest classes ingame but not the best, not even close. Since we are talking about PvP im gona refer to affliction because its the most popular spec as a warlock in arena atm: Affliction is a really powerfull spec, supplied with all the necesary tools to destroy all enemies IF played right but it has its limits. A frost mage on the other hand is a harder class to play(in my opinion) than an afflock but has far more potential than an affliction lock and basicly any other class/spec in the game. So if i was to say which class is the most powerfull id pick mage hands down. A skilled frost mage can survive anything you throw at him.