Page 2 of 10 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Made a more serious post though. BGs really shine when people actually do work together though. There's nothing I like more, for example, than heading in with two friends on vent in WSG, and just the three of us beelining to intercept the ENTIRE charge of Alliance players. We should get destroyed, but their charge is disorganized, and we're working together, so a lot of the times, we manage (oftentimes barely) to stop the charge all on our own.

Things like that are part of why I'm really excited for rated BGs. A premade fighting against pugs is boring as hell. But a premade against a premade? An organize group of players, both teams on vents, coordinating attacks against each other? That appeals to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Maximen View Post
    its all about where to defend where to attack
    God forbid you ever have to use tactics when fighting someone.

Personally I like Arathi Basin and Warsong Gulch, eventhough I'm not much of a PvP fan. Alterac Valley has turned into a full-out zerg though, where it used to be extremely heavy on strategies and defense(though anyone who played in Vanilla knows how that turned out; several hours per match)

EDIT: I agree with the above poster, rated Battlegrounds have the potential to be legendary, and might actually make me interested in PvP
    Last edited by KandyCane; 2010-08-02 at 04:01 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post
    Finally we'll see some real strategy and organization, not the overly simplistic "don't fight on roads" and "guard Stables".
    Implying people don't fail at those simple strategies.

I lead premades on my hunter. Eagle eye comes in really fucking handy there. So all in all I agree with you.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yes I like BG's. Arena takes a different skill set from BG's, they have their place and if you prefer them over BG's than don't do BG's ... Complaining that you got steam rolled by a group of players only goes to show that your too stupid to stick with the group. Safety in numbers is a perfectly viable strategy, and one that will not be going away any time soon.

"All is fair in love and BG's"

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    I like bgs when both teams are pretty balanced that way everyone can have some fun but generally i only do bgs to farm honor and hks still trying to get my of the horde title ye.

No one can go back and make a new beginning, but anyone can start from now and make a new ending.

15+ Year Old Account
    Love them sometimes, somtimes hate them.

I'm Horde in my battlegroup which is mostly Alliance dominated. Most BG's are won before it's even started because it's either a premade or one of the teams has much better gear than the other. But occasionally when it's not, and personal skill actually makes a difference between winning and losing, there's no greater feeling in the game than when you win. Even if you lose you feel good that it was actually challenging instead of just a faceroll by one team or the other.

Battlegrounds are all about teamwork. Teams are formed randomly from queued people. Nuff said?

For those into soccer: imagine Messi playing a game with 10 total soccernoobs, with 4 of them having only one leg. Not only would they lose, it would also be very frustrating for Messi.

In my first wow-year, I thought i was an amazing force on the field. My hunter always topped the charts. Then I entered the arena only to discover i was terribad.

I can't wait until Cataclysm to play for example Warsong Gulch with a fixed 10 man team, like a raidteam. The same people, same positions, same gameplay (with of course a defensive/offensive setup, etc)

I used to /kneel for the people Of the Alliance (100.000 honorable kills) until I met this rogue, who had 100k HK's, but 0 (zero) damage done. He was just chilling in stealth, doing something else while scoring kills.

Also: let people queue as healer, like in the random dungeons. That way, teams will be much more balanced, avoiding frustrations of not having a chance.
    Last edited by Health; 2010-08-02 at 04:07 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Bucky Mclachlan View Post
    Implying people don't fail at those simple strategies.

I lead premades on my hunter. Eagle eye comes in really fucking handy there. So all in all I agree with you.
    Oh, fail they do. What I'm implying here is that "ranged ride on the demos, melee drive" and "keep an eye on the flag" are the very height of current strategic thought.

Fact is, much of the "common wisdom" regarding BG strategy is woefully simplistic. It's not wrong or bad, but it's very underdeveloped and absurdly easy to counter. Provided you have a disciplined group, anyway—which never happens in PuGs and isn't necessary in steamroll-premades, but which will become, I hope, increasingly popular for rated.

I have given much thought to the tactics of Battlegrounds, and I've every intention of starting up a rated-BG guild when Cata drops. Should be fun.

Except SotA. SotA is never fun.

Quote Originally Posted by Pheno View Post
    I'm Horde in my battlegroup which is mostly Alliance dominated. Most BG's are won before it's even started because it's either a premade or one of the teams has much better gear than the other. But occasionally when it's not, and personal skill actually makes a difference between winning and losing, there's no greater feeling in the game than when you win. Even if you lose you feel good that it was actually challenging instead of just a faceroll by one team or the other.
    In perhaps one BG in 50, I will do something—hold a node against 3 people, recap a flag at the last second, hang on to the Horde flag against their combined assault for five minutes straight—and as the battle unfolds, it becomes clear that this one thing made the difference between a win and a loss.

It is very rare, of course, that one person has any measurable effect on the outcome. But when someone does, and it's you ... there's no better feeling.
    Last edited by Direpanda; 2010-08-02 at 04:17 PM.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

yes i absolutely love them.
    arenas? not so much.. :s

Guild verse guild ABs were THE BEST in classic, I really hope I get that feeling again in rated BGs.
    BGs are very fun to me, arenas are far too refined and gimmicky(pole dancing anyone?) for me.

On a side note, I hate res gear.
    Why can't Blizzard just make a different rule set for players when fighting other players rather then adding PvP gear progression. I've had many guildmates turn down pvp after a raid because they didn't grind the gear out and that makes me a very bored panda.

I miss classic sometimes, everyone PvP'd and PvE'd.

10+ Year Old Account
    OH BG's, I thought it said... well you know

i like bgs, specialy those you can 1x1 on them...

As a 2500 shaman, I despise BGs, not a damn thing I can do to affect the outcome of the match.

Quote Originally Posted by Razorlor View Post
    As a 2500 shaman, I despise BGs, not a damn thing I can do to affect the outcome of the match.
    Is that GS or Arena rating?

Either way, you're wrong. The most important role anyone can take in a PUG BG is leadership, and while having a fancy title or a lot of kills may help people listen to you, a couple simple tricks work just as well or better. Anyone can lead.
    Still waiting on the skillscore addon ...

Quote Originally Posted by Nayt View Post
    Yes I like BG's. Arena takes a different skill set from BG's, they have their place and if you prefer them over BG's than don't do BG's ... Complaining that you got steam rolled by a group of players only goes to show that your too stupid to stick with the group. Safety in numbers is a perfectly viable strategy, and one that will not be going away any time soon.

"All is fair in love and BG's"
    You're right, I won't do BGs, I'll just do arenas in my raid gear.

Oh wait, raid gear only works in BGs =(

No bg will ever be as good as pre-TBC AV.

Quote Originally Posted by Direpanda View Post
    Is that GS or Arena rating?

Either way, you're wrong. The most important role anyone can take in a BG is leadership, and while having a fancy title or a lot of kills may help people listen to you, a couple simple tricks work just as well or better. Anyone can lead.
    That's arena rating. Getting people to listen to you is incredibly hard to do, no matter what you say. Not to mention half the people in BGs are fresh 80s and can't touch a decently geared player.

OP reminds me of this mage that thought he was awesome because he was beating ret pallies and warriors in a duel, because "Duels take the most skill", not because 1v1 class mechanics are totally broken. OT though, I personally love bgs. Anyone who has played ret for very long and doesn't like bgs probably hasn't ever been in a bg. Who doesn't love 2 shotting fresh alt's trying to grind honor for their first epics?

I'd love BGs if I could get one game without one third being AFK, the next third being pants-on-head retarded, and the last third slowly becoming alcoholics due to being forced to work with these "people".