Page 1 of 4
... LastLast

Hot Streak Nerf?

So, in the latest beta build, Living bomb crits won't contribute to hot streak?

Hot Streak now procs when you score 2 non-periodic critical strikes in a row with your Fireball, Frostfire Bolt, Scorch, Fire Blast or Pyroblast spells.
    First messing around with the way it was triggered, now this. Blizzard must think that we were getting too many instant pyros.
    Let Reason Prevail

Removing Living Bomb from the triggers is kinda lame but nothing is set in stone yet...

Oh fuck. Why do they nerf us? It certaintly wasn't OP... why bother nerfing this when you can nerf paladins??

Quote Originally Posted by Bdx View Post
    Oh fuck. Why do they nerf us? It certaintly wasn't OP... why bother nerfing this when you can nerf paladins??
    are you serious?

experimenting is the key word, they wont do anything final until they have tried it other ways. eventually they will stop on something, hopefully balanced and cool

seems like they added pyroblast so if your insta pyro crits you need only 1 fireball crit to get another one

Quote Originally Posted by Marilina View Post
    are you serious?
    Yes, Palas are fking OP, and we poor mages have nerfed Hot Streak QQ

Because paladins supposed to be superior to mages.

AoE nerfs all over the board. Not just for mages.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    and that is why mages can kill paladins and vice versa

Quote Originally Posted by wickedbastard View Post
    No, mages are supposed to be the best class in WoW :P.

If we're being honest, hot streak has gotten a little, ahem, predictable at current gear levels. I would say a justified change, but I will miss slinging out instapyros left and right.
    Let Reason Prevail

No, mages are supposed to be the best class in WoW :P.
    are you really serious?

Quote Originally Posted by Marilina View Post
    are you really serious?
    TBH Blizzard loves us (that's better than Jesus loves us, rly), and makes us look good... I'd like mages to be da best :3. But blizz seems to love retardins more... T_T

Nope he most likely plays a pally and got pwned by a mage.

TBH Blizzard loves us (that's better than Jesus loves us, rly), and makes us look good... I'd like mages to be da best :3. But blizz seems to love retardins more... T_T
    see now you made me watch south park again

Deleted
    If I remember correctly blue once said that they wanted hot sreak procs feel like "rare but nice to have when it procs" instead of "I have to have them or I do lousy dps". As it stands now they tested it with 3 crits in a row, but apparently it was too rare; maybe this would achieve what they are seeking (as it stands crit-% will be alot lower in cataclysm, even at high-end gear, so even a small change like this may (or may not) do it). Don't worry, they will surely balance mages dps around something else, it seems like people have forgotten how big changes this game goes through come Cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by Machine View Post
    they tested it with 3 crits in a row, but apparently it was too rare
    Quite the opposite. The mechanic in beta previously was 3 crits in 6 seconds (NOT necessarily in a row), and the procs were apparently too COMMON. So they went back to the live version of the talent, then traded Living Bomb detonations for Pyroblasts.

This new change is a nerf from that mechanic as well as from live. And at level 85, we won't be achieving the crazy high crit levels we have at level 80 today (unless they mess up on item level inflation again).

Looks like the new Hot Streak is down to around 2 to 3 ppm by level 85? Ouch.

I hope our other new mechanics make up for the nerf. Thus far I don't see enough positive changes to the spec to enable a level-85 fire mage (with reduced crit levels) to outdamage a current level-80 fire mage in live...
    Last edited by Koumaru; 2010-08-05 at 02:13 PM.

it wasnt "3 crits in a row" Machine. read the tooltips more than once
    that design was much better, a bit OP tho

Deleted
    as they said they want Hot Streak to feel like a bonus when it shows up not like a malus because it didn't happen, seems that for accomplish this they aim to try to make it proc less.