Page 2 of 12 FirstFirst
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to fucking complain about.
    Pretty much this.

Quote Originally Posted by HalcyonicPlague View Post
    Because in questing you're really focused on having someone around you jacking your kills.
    And this.

OP, you say you're not trolling, but it's profoundly hard to believe you when what you're complaining about is that the world is no longer entirely static and unchanging based on what a player does.

If what you really like about MMOs is terrible, terrible gameplay and implementation, I recommend you try Everquest 1. That game's still around, you know.

Also, if you're not trolling then you're definitely at least lying. You have never, ever found "a few others" who have made the decision not to purchase Cataclysm because it makes liberal use of phasing. You haven't, they're not out there. Maybe you talked to someone about it and they were sympathetic to your presentation of the idea instead of calling you insane outright, but that's not the same thing.
    Last edited by Athael; 2010-08-12 at 03:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by grimhound View Post
    For myself and a few others I've talked to, phasing is the main thing that will keep us from coming back for Cataclysm. We play MMOs to be around a lot of other people and to experience the game alongside the multitudes. Phasing has destroyed that, first in Wrath and now in Cataclysm. The entire game has been destroyed as far as being an actual MMO now. It is no longer an MMO so much as a sparsely populated singleplayer game. Anyone else feel this way?
    i can agree with you to a point, phasing will seperate the players forcing them to do things that were otherwise optional in order to just fly through an area withought one of you vanishing. the idea of the MMO is that the world is meant to be a big living world populated as a real fantasy world would be, however it does become very sparse in areas such as the entrance to ICC due to the random factors of phasing (and how totally broken the phasing is there), this breaks the games immersion for me simply because it's meant to be a huge ass assault on the citadel front gates and yet i can't even see the other players, seems kinda wrong to me.

but on the other hand i can still see the numerous players in the cities and in raids so it's not quite the huge deal you're making it out t be imo, but it's not a perfect system either by far.

Have you played the beta? You can still see everyone during most phased things. And if you're on the same quest you can see them. A lot of phases are just with certain NPC's in quest lines. They just disappear/appear for you, and you can still see everyone and everyone sees you.

You can still see all your little lowbie friends questing, and such.

Example (Real quest): You steal stuff for a troll in tanaris. He ends up betraying you and you kill him. When you go back to the camp that he is at he is gone, but everyone else is there and you can still see other players.
    Last edited by Triggers; 2010-08-12 at 03:34 AM.

... This thread is made of ass and fail.
    You do realize that Blizzard designed this game so that a player can choose to level up and participate in the game solo?
    Phasing was an issue in Wrath in that you could not see people through the different phases but in Cataclysm, that's changed; you can see other people who are on different phases of a zone.
    Phasing is an excellent way of telling a story within the zone and actually showing one's impact on the game world. What it sounds like you want is Runescape which is --> that way.
    Quote Originally Posted by fizzbob View Post
    you're not supposed to kill someone unless they kill you first. it's common sense.

hahaha, how in earth are such topics created!

lol

10+ Year Old Account
    The only problem I've ever had with phasing is the area in front of ICC. Its annoying when you are trying to summon people and the other summoners are in different phase. Other than that, love phasing.

You mean like...the 4 questing zones with phasing as you progress through them? That...even when you are phased...you can still communicate with all players in addition to literally seeing those in the same phase of the quest as you?

Huh?
    Quote Originally Posted by lol View Post
    I've had lucid dreams a couple times.

I usually imagine some girl I have a crush on and DEMOLISH her, then go back to the computer and start farming whiptail.

For myself and a few others I've talked to, phasing is the main thing that will keep us from coming back for Cataclysm. We play MMOs to be around a lot of other people and to experience the game alongside the multitudes. Phasing has destroyed that, first in Wrath and now in Cataclysm. The entire game has been destroyed as far as being an actual MMO now. It is no longer an MMO so much as a sparsely populated singleplayer game. Anyone else feel this way?
    The leader of the party can effectively turn phasing off, so that everyone is synced and in the same phased zone. You're welcome.

Deleted
    Seriously... Is anything safe from the doom and gloom squad? Something as revolutionary as phasing technology and still you tear it apart. It seems like Blizzard could announce '1 million dollars tax free with every game bought' and the doom merchants would still find something to criticize about it.

Quote Originally Posted by Triggers View Post
    Have you played the beta? You can still see everyone during most phased things. And if you're on the same quest you can see them. A lot of phases are just with certain NPC's in quest lines. They just disappear/appear for you, and you can still see everyone and everyone sees yous.
    I've seen TotalBiscuit's videos of the beta. I've seen Gilneas completely desolate and abandoned as if the game were taking place in some bad private server because everyone phased out. I paid to get away from that, but it appears there is now no difference between playing on a legit and a private server.

Quote Originally Posted by PBitt View Post
    People really will find anything to fucking complain about. Too bad I don't care because I quit the game because they made the hunter class color lime green and I think it would be SO much better had it been a grass-colored green.
    I lol'ed

Nope. Just you.

i dont understand the complaint?

If you only quest with friends, then you should be on the same part. thus same phaze.
    the only problem i've seen with phazing is when standing outside ICC and watching ppl die to invisible things :P

is this the complaint? i am confused.
    ppl take the most trivial things....................

i can see y u thought this was a troll post it makes no sense like i understand playing an mmo you would like to be around others but thats what intentional groupings 4 (roll a worgen the release of cata and then realize how important phasing is)

what?

There are a grand total of like 3 major phazed locations in Wrath, and once you get to the last phaze of an area (which in most cases takes all of an hour) you are then in phaze with 95% of the rest of the server.

If you actually believe that phazing is causing a visible drop in the "appearent population" of the zones, you are crazy.

Now, things like dungeon tool instant teleport to and from dungeons and Instances battlegrounds, that i can agree with.

Jeez. People are way too quick to jump down throats.

It's his opinion, and it's not like the thread title was misleading. He said, very clearly, that phasing has ruined WoW for him and offered his reasons. Granted, I think it's a little extreme to say the concept of phasing is capable of ruining WoW for a large number of people, but I do see where he's coming from, though I don't agree with him.

For some people, any step away from the massive, open-world iteration of an MMO is a step in the wrong direction. Lots of people dislike the dungeon finder for this reason (although they are the minority.) Phasing, which basically causes players to be separated from each other despite being in the same area due to any given quest, could be viewed as detrimental to some.

Please, think before screaming "TROLL." Not everyone with a complaint is trolling.
    Last edited by Wat; 2010-08-12 at 03:36 AM. Reason: spelling lul

Phasing is one of the best changes Blizzard had done. Phasing gives you the sense that you really did something after you come back to the place. Phasing gave us Wrath gate, if you go after the quest without phasing... you would still looking scourge vs alliance/hordes.... also The Argent Vanguard fight against the scourge... without phasing you would still looking at the fight even after you won it.

Phasing do have its issues like you can't help ppl on another phase or gank ppl. This is just my opinion :P, for me phasing is great!

Quote Originally Posted by Reaction View Post
    Seriously... Is anything safe from the doom and gloom squad? Something as revolutionary as phasing technology and still you tear it apart. It seems like Blizzard could announce '1 million dollars tax free with every game bought' and the doom merchants would still find something to criticize about it.
    It's not doom and gloom, its a pretty reasonable concern. Game killing? Probably not... but for those of us who aren't in beta, all we can do is piece together what a massive ball of fail and AIDS that Icecrown phasing is with the fact that Blizzard makes it sound like the entirety of Cataclysm will be phased.

When I hear "we're taking phasing to a new level!" all I can do is remember all the goddamn mineral and herb nodes have been ghost ninja'd and all the times I couldn't summon somebody to ICC because the other person was in a different phase, and apply it on a bigger scale and its a bit worrisome.

Quote Originally Posted by Jon View Post
    Worst troll ever.
    Actually no.

Some people have complained about phasing when they go back to helping a friend with a group quest. They see a cleared out meadow and their friend sees the boss and adds for the quest and neither person can see each other. I haven't had this issue, but it seems a valid complaint.

...or when you try to summon people to ICC without a lock. The four people who go out there are all in different phases and no one is able to see anyone else to summon. This is just annoying and needless. Blizzard could have just made the entrance area be outside of all phasing (ie editing the phases to ignore that particular spot and only have one phase for the entrance).

Edit: Other than those particular issues, I like phasing.
    Last edited by Nalnik; 2010-08-12 at 03:41 AM.
    -----+-- [Thaddius] ++++++++

Just because you are unique, does not mean you are right.
    Ðoser of Illidan

I've seen TotalBiscuit's videos of the beta. I've seen Gilneas completely desolate and abandoned as if the game were taking place in some bad private server because everyone phased out. I paid to get away from that, but it appears there is now no difference between playing on a legit and a private server.
    TotalBiscuit must play at odd, off-peak hours. Every time I've played the Worgen area it's been jam-packed full of Dbags stealing my kills left and right.

Your concerns are unfounded.

Also: Phasing works differently in the beta. For the subtle stuff, like the appearance or disappearance of a single NPC, you're still in the same area as the other players who haven't completed that quest.