Page 1 of 3
LastLast

New to PVP - Mage or Rogue easier to play?

so if im starting to pvp, and plan to for cataclysm. would mage or rogue be easier to play? they both look fun to me.

Hard to say really. Both are about equally face roll.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dj
    your a Gnome, how the heck does it feel to suck that badly?
    Quote Originally Posted by Xtacle
    Gnomes are awesome, and piss people off, how does it feel to die to a tiny pink puffball?

My main will be my lock. So im thinking maybe go rogue since i already have a ranged caster for variety.

Deleted
    We don't know how Cata PvP will look like, but at the moment rogues are pretty easy, while mages are possibly the hardest class in PvP. With all the tools mages have, and not many new ones in the rogue arsenal in Cata, i imagine that might still be the case then.

I wonder how many people in this thread will claim frost mages are easy. Sure, they're OP, i agree. But nowhere near easy.

Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    so if im starting to pvp, and plan to for cataclysm. would mage or rogue be easier to play? they both look fun to me.
    Well rogues are pretty easy. You just have manage some cds and thats all.
    Mages have a lot of very good abilities and that can take lot of skill a hotkeys to master them.

Quote Originally Posted by russ555 View Post
    Hard to say really. Both are about equally face roll.
    /facepalm

I bet you complain about getting stunlocked to death too.

Rogues are pretty underpowered in 1v1 and BG pvp currently, because they hit like a wet noodle. They've really become a support class.

Mages on the other hand are quite good at this point.

Mage in BG's/world pvp isn't hard, one of the easier choices you can make. In arena it's a different story, even more so in larger brackets like 3's and 5's because you usually got quite some things to manage(keeping track of polymorphs/focus silences etc.) because a mage is usually brought to not only do damage but also keep the healer/other dps out of harm's way.

Rogue is pretty straight forward, the thing is that in world pvp/bg's you'll more often than not be left without your cooldowns due to using them earlier, after which you become a sitting duck. However while relatively easy to learn(especially assasination) they can be still quite hard to master because you need to get a feeling of when and how often to pool energy and stuff like that.

10+ Year Old Account
    i have an 80 mage, a 70 rogue, and i play with a friend's 80 rogue (subt) some times.

so probably my opinion has some value
    the way things are now...

Gameplay:
    arcane mage = Easy
    fire mage = Medium
    frost mage = Medium+
    subt rogue = Medium

Effectiveness:
    arcane mage = Medium
    fire mage = Low
    frost mage = High
    subt rogue = High

so i think its a tie ;\
    maybe rogues are easier because they have much less keybinds than mages, i guess..

just pick your class according to the playstyle you like the most
    Last edited by Alex86el; 2010-08-12 at 07:43 PM.

Deleted
    I would say a good muti-prep rogue

Quote Originally Posted by taybox View Post
    Mage is way easier.

Macro polymorph, spam frostbolt, that is basically all you will do.

Quote Originally Posted by electrikfuzz View Post
    /facepalm

Rogues are pretty underpowered in 1v1 and BG pvp currently, because they hit like a wet noodle. They've really become a support class.

Envenom says HAI

You've obviously never fought a good one considering they have some of the best burst in the game if played correctly.

Deleted
    /facepalm

There's this new thing around, called Subtlety. Ever heard of it ? Not even mentioning if you ever even TRIED it.
    And you know, it's actually fun. Definetly more fun than whatever spec you play now, i can tell that since by the way you are writting, you sure ain't having much fun...

Quote Originally Posted by ralh View Post
    We don't know how Cata PvP will look like, but at the moment rogues are pretty easy, while mages are possibly the hardest class in PvP. With all the tools mages have, and not many new ones in the rogue arsenal in Cata, i imagine that might still be the case then.

I wonder how many people in this thread will claim frost mages are easy. Sure, they're OP, i agree. But nowhere near easy.
    Clearly you have never played a mage. Mages are ridiculously easy to play in PvP, compared to other classes. Some of the hard classes to play in PvP are Feral Druids, Demonologist Locks, etc.

Furthermore, the Rogue arsenal is growing just as much as the mage's. With the combo point transfer ability and Smoke Bomb Rogue PvP will change for the better.

/facepalm

No no no..we're talking about rogues, not death knights. I assume you meant death knight, since hitting like a wet noodle and being a support class is a death knights role in this expansion now.
    May WoWTrance never be forgotten. It was my start and it shall be my end.

15+ Year Old Account
    Mages are easy to play.
    Rogues are easy to play.

Though, they both got tons of tools on which you can keep improving at how and when to use them.
    If I would have to pick the one that's easiest, it would be the Rogue.

/facepalm

Rogues are pretty underpowered in 1v1 and BG pvp currently, because they hit like a wet noodle.
    They've really become a support class.

Bolded for justice! They're very VERY weapon reliant like any other melee class. My gear is very good but I just lack sufficient daggers and it shows with the lack of burst I can lay out on a target. 232's Blow.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Asatru View Post
    Bolded for justice! They're very VERY weapon reliant like any other melee class. My gear is very good but I just lack sufficient daggers and it shows with the lack of burst I can lay out on a target. 232's Blow.
    Ilvl 232 weapons hit like a wet noodle. Rogues don't.

1800 should be very possible with Rogue/Priest or Rogue/Mage and Ilvl 232 weapons. Take the weapons, the rest up to 2.2k is free, untill you get new ones again.

Quote Originally Posted by Balduvian View Post
    Ilvl 232 weapons hit like a wet noodle. Rogues don't.

1800 should be very possible with Rogue/Priest or Rogue/Mage and Ilvl 232 weapons. Take the weapons, the rest up to 2.2k is free, untill you get new ones again.
    That's what I just said bro.

Hail Thor-show thy might. Let thunder roar and lightning strike!
    Hurl thy hammer into the fray. And let thine enemies know fear this day!
    VICTORY, OR VALHALLA!!!

Deleted
    For pvp, rogues have an easier learning curve than mages. Though learning curves say nothing about how good (and therefore how easy) you could find it ultimately since a lot depends on how your personality fits the class playstyles and the effort you put in.

But tbh, "easy" is not much of a reason to choose one over the other. Its more a question of what playstyle you prefer. Do you see yourself as a glass cannon with tons of control tools, ready to adapt, nuke or escape in any situation as required? Or do you see yourself as a predator, waiting in the shadows, able to pick and control any single target and decimate them with opening superiority then return to the shadows?