Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Destro Warlock vs Vile Spirits in Lich King phase 3

Let me start by saying that we have beaten the Lich King. However that second to last phase of his sees a lot of casualties in my guild. What can a destro warlock do to kill those damn vile spirits faster?

Is Seed of Corruption the way to go?
    Can Rain of Fire hit them?
    Can Shadowfury hit them?

Call me retarded all you want, just help me to not suck at this particular phase.

Second to last phase... You mean the transition phase 2.5?

How are you losing people there? Don't pull aggro on Ragings, kill orbs, and don't stand in a big cluster... PROFIT!

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.
    Mage Moderator | Forum Guidelines | MMO IRC | Arcane Mage FAQ | TT7 R.I.P.

Deleted
    Our destro lock uses SoC.

Other than that, get more shadow priests, make your mages go fire, get your offtank(s if you have 2) to taunt some (only 2/3 at once though...) and soak explosions.

---------- Post added 2010-08-23 at 04:52 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Heilige View Post
    Second to last phase... You mean the transition phase 2.5?

How are you losing people there? Don't pull aggro on Ragings, kill orbs, and don't stand in a big cluster... PROFIT!
    Read the whole post, he said vile spirits.

I did read it, however when he says "However that second to last phase of his sees a lot of casualties in my guild." I assume he means they're losing people during 2.5 so he wants to help pick up the dps on Viles...

However it could be the other way, so I see your point. What you do to Viles will vastly depend on your group comp. How many shadow priests do you guys run with? If you have a good bit of AOE to kill the brunt of them, pick the ones on the edges or that get seperated once active and single target nuke them down one by one. If you guys need more AOE, Seed spam ftw.

"It may be your $14.99, but it's the raid's $374.75" -- Ralask <Nether>, Senjin.

My question is...why are you killing the Vile Spirits in the first place? If you're talking about the third phase (40%-10%), there is absolutely zero reason to DPS all of the vile spirits except if you're going for the achieve. It is much easier, as seen in nearly any video of the LK fight, to simply kite LK from one side of the platform to the other and have an off-tank (assisted with a frost trap or earthbind totem) stand about 10 yards in front of the group and "soak" the spirits. The damage won't kill the OT if they're using/get a CD.
    Last edited by Fulgurah; 2010-08-23 at 06:06 PM.

Deleted
    my Pro tip, Spam soc, if they are on the ground running to you or someone else shadowfury them.

and with Socing them im thinking when bunched up, else just single target.
    Last edited by mmoc1ff84cf90f; 2010-08-23 at 06:12 PM.

*sigh*

Yes, I could have worded that better.

We have no issue with anything leading up to the final combat phase with him (the one with the vile spirits).

Our group comp is...
    Tanks: Pally, DK
    Healers: Shaman, holy Priest, Druid
    DPS: destro Warlock (me), Hunter, shadow Priest, ele Shaman, ret Paladin

Yes, this is 10man.

Eh, honestly since you're 3 healing it, have your offtank soak them. It'll make the fight easier as you'll gain ~10 seconds of DPS time for each Vile Phase.

DK would be easiest. Between AMS and self heals, his mini shield wall, external CD's, he should have an easy time soaking. It's more reliable, easiest, and faster.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    *sigh*

Yes, I could have worded that better.

We have no issue with anything leading up to the final combat phase with him (the one with the vile spirits).

Our group comp is...
    Tanks: Pally, DK
    Healers: Shaman, holy Priest, Druid
    DPS: destro Warlock (me), Hunter, shadow Priest, ele Shaman, ret Paladin

Yes, this is 10man.
    The dps in your group comp is more than enough assuming they don't suck to kill them and then some SoC, Mindsear CL and mulitshots going off (i think slow trap works here just put it down on lk b4 you move him to set it)
    Hi Sephurik

Quote Originally Posted by Volitar View Post
    The dps in your group comp is more than enough assuming they don't suck to kill them and then some SoC, Mindsear CL and mulitshots going off (i think slow trap works here just put it down on lk b4 you move him to set it)
    Except, again, there is no need to kill them. It's much easier (and faster) to simply move LK to the opposite side of the platform and have the OT (DK) soak them. This will pretty drastically reduce the amount of time needed in P3.

Quote Originally Posted by Fulgurah View Post
    Except, again, there is no need to kill them. It's much easier (and faster) to simply move LK to the opposite side of the platform and have the OT (DK) soak them. This will pretty drastically reduce the amount of time needed in P3.
    So after the vile spirits spawn the MT moves Lich King to opposite end of platform and then the DK kites them all? Should the shadow priest stay on them to slow them down for the DK?

15+ Year Old Account
    Yeah... why are you bothering to kill them in the first place? They really don't do much damage at all to individual targets, especially with Divine Sacrifice up on 10-man regular, and you DO have 2 paladins.

SoC as affliction lock without a SP or a second warlock, i did 50% of the raid dmg to vile spirits with the 30% buff.. (10m)
    Got a Warlock as a main, a Druid and a DK at 80 as alts and lvling a Rogue..

"You are only as good player, as the guild you are into"

In addition, if you need more help, use the cooldowns on your DPS. Ret paly, bubble and tackle... Shadow priest with the glyph of dispersion can soak every other group.

Ideally use the side to side LK strat with Offtank soaking but having more of your DPS help out (screw the damage meter, just put arthas down) can be useful.

Just have your tanks alternate and rotate CDs soaking them = easy mode win.

So after the vile spirits spawn the MT moves Lich King to opposite end of platform and then the DK kites them all? Should the shadow priest stay on them to slow them down for the DK?
    Let's use an example to show what I'm saying.

You're on the far west side of the platform (on the edge). LK releases his Vile Spirits. Your entire raid then moves to the opposite side of the platform (far east side). While you're moving, your Hunter puts down a Frost trap in front of LK so that it is active for the Vile Spirits. You can do this just over half-way across the platform. Your OT then literally can stand on top of the frost trap (or just in front) as the Vile Spirits come to the raid. He then runs himself into the spirits, usually 1-2 at a time. He can also death-grip and chains of ice any stray ones.

Rinse, repeat. As posters have said above, it is also possible for a DPS (pallies with bubble, shadow priests with dispersion, warriors with shield wall) to soak these as well.

If you want visuals on this strat, look no further than Paragon's first HM LK kill.
    Last edited by Fulgurah; 2010-08-23 at 06:28 PM.

Keyboard Turner
    10+ Year Old Account
    As a destro warlock your AOE isn't as powerful as a Affliction warlock but when their flying in the air the only AOE damage you can do to them is your Seed of Corruption.

However when they start flying towards the group you can use Shadowfury as a means to slow their assault.

I think with that group comp your 10man should consider "Spirit Soaking" have the ret pally pop his bubble to eat vile spirits before they come in contact with the rest of the group his bubble will negate all damage that would of been dealt to him. In addition use your Shadowfury as a means to stop the vile spirits so it can be easier for him to tag them and ignore the vile spirits all together rather than trying to kill them. Just make sure that you tank the lich king on oneside of the platform until they spawn then move him to the other side... If your ret pally's bubble is on cooldown have the pally tank do it for you.

If both of your pallys can't do it then have the DK do it. A shadow priest's dispersion can also spirit soak but it requires really good timing.

P.S. Yay, first post.

I threw together a diagram for you real quick...

After the first viles spawn, this is how you should be set up. Tank (Black) runs LK to the opposite side buts his back to the ledge, and the melee and ranged (yellow) cluster up around LK (tighter packed the better). Your Offtank (Gay pink) should set himself up right on or just a yard inside of the metal ring. That's where the viles are easiest to pickup. He may have to strafe a couple yards in either direction, but all in all little movement. Just make sure he's jumping while doing this so none slide over him.

While the Tank is soaking you all will be nuking out, as soon as the viles spawn, run your asses to the other side, rinse and repeat.

At 30% you can just soak viles with OT. With no 30% I would love to see your OT soak all the viles.

If you *are* going to DPS them, then consider this: The raid damage at this point is very low, and your healing priest can also do significant aoe DPS. When we do the 25 man achievement for the mount (for the slackers who werent there the first 2 times we did it) we have 3 healing priests help aoe them down, makes things a lot easier.