Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Hunter PvP pet: Spider or Crab

I have just been wondering: What pvp pet do you prefer to use? A spider or crab?

Currently I am using a spider due to the mana regeneration when facing long fights (I mainly play in a 2v2 arena team). I've never noticed to see fights go on as long as I need to use that though (rare, but it has happened where its helped). The crab has always been an interesting to choice to perhaps try due to the extra little bit of damage from pin and the fact its built around its talents on staying alive if the enemy tries to take him down whilst I am calling him back.

Anyway my question to you is which would you suggest and why?

Spider - Web, Roar of Recovery
    Crab - Pin, "tank pet"

I normally go for a Spider just for the Mana recovery talent. Crabs can soak up a bit more damage but they need to be up close to pin. Even though web can be dispelled.

And the roar of recovery can really turn around a match from not having to swap into Viper.

I use a core hound. i win.

Spider. Web trap Nom Nom.

Plus if you manage your pet well the extra survivability isn't really needed.

Quote Originally Posted by Deathchin View Post
    I use a core hound. i win.
    Obligatory LOLBEASTCLEAVE EASY DERP

Yeah i've figured that out from some matches we've been up against, I was just wondering from seeing quite a lot of crabs about (even one cat, probably signed with the wrong though. If so I've never seen a hunter using a cat for pvp in a long time).

As for being up close, the Pin ability requires the crab to be up in melee range to pin the target as opposed for the spiders 30 yard range - I haven't tried a crab but I sure do love the range on the spider myself as well.

Well thanks for the quick reply, will probably continue to bash at it with my spider.

It really comes down to personal preference since both have Roar of Sacrifice available. I personally prefer the crab due to intervene being very handy against melee coupled with RoS along with having Last Stand. To reconcile the issue with having to pin while within melee range I'll typically leave my crab on follow with charge auto set and macro the pin ability. Using it on a target he'll charge and immediately pin them.

Quote Originally Posted by Larancy View Post
    Spider. Web trap Nom Nom.

Plus if you manage your pet well the extra survivability isn't really needed.
    I meant by that more of a kiting thing. For example: Nagrand arena. You're kiting a warrior alone your pet is downstairs to web and is on his way back up. Said warrior is deciding to try burst down the pet before taking yourself. (I am not saying I am not using sprint to get him to my side ready again) It was more of a wonder, would the extra survivability of that crab work better if that move was tried.

10+ Year Old Account
    Spider, just because the bit of range helps, as well as having rawr of recovery and sac.

10+ Year Old Account
    Just use a Moth, its self heal will scare your opponets away.

Quote Originally Posted by sicness View Post
    It really comes down to personal preference since both have Roar of Sacrifice available. I personally prefer the crab due to intervene being very handy against melee coupled with RoS along with having Last Stand. To reconcile the issue with having to pin while within melee range I'll typically leave my crab on follow with charge auto set and macro the pin ability. Using it on a target he'll charge and immediately pin them.
    As I understand it all comes down to Roar of Recovery/Dash opposed to Last Stand/Intervene. Although I was mainly wondering is there any particular that tends to work better, or is it more of a choice and both work pretty equally. I'll probably still get around to testing this some time for my own personal opinion but i thought I would ask mmo-champ in addition to that - probably more skilled pvp'ers on here than myself.

Quote Originally Posted by Usharek View Post
    I meant by that more of a kiting thing. For example: Nagrand arena. You're kiting a warrior alone your pet is downstairs to web and is on his way back up. Said warrior is deciding to try burst down the pet before taking yourself. (I am not saying I am not using sprint to get him to my side ready again) It was more of a wonder, would the extra survivability of that crab work better if that move was tried.
    This really isn't a problem with the lower dash CD talent.

Spider over crab, obviously.

This really isn't a problem with the lower dash CD talent.
    Yes I understand that, cut down to 16 seconds. Yet it still got me wondering whether people prefer to go with the crab for the tanking talents keeping it strong. Thanks to the feedback I've gathered spider is the way to stay for me at least it seems - although I will be trying out a crab sometime, to see if I see a personal difference that I like.

Yes I understand that, cut down to 16 seconds. Yet it still got me wondering whether people prefer to go with the crab for the tanking talents keeping it strong. Thanks to the feedback I've gathered spider is the way to stay for me at least it seems - although I will be trying out a crab sometime, to see if I see a personal difference that I like.
    Go ahead you may prefer the intervene and last stand depending on play style and comp. Both are really great pets. I love my spider for web-traps though. Helps when you cant use scatter to trap.

Go ahead you may prefer the intervene and last stand depending on play style and comp. Both are really great pets. I love my spider for web-traps though. Helps when you cant use scatter to trap.
    I will do. The comp I am currently doing is Resto Druid, Marksman Hunter. which is of course a great 2v2 setup right now. The more I think about it however a spider may be more useful as I will be playing with a healer. (this is a new group up together).

Crab has intervene. Which is awesome for charges, cheapshots, blinds and getting your pet away from being killed. It takes some getting use to but it defiantly won me some matches.

And you will never feel more pro then when you intervene the blind on ur druid against mage rogue.

Quote Originally Posted by chunx0r View Post
    Crab has intervene. Which is awesome for charges, cheapshots, blinds and getting your pet away from being killed. It takes some getting use to but it defiantly won me some matches.

And you will never feel more pro then when you intervene the blind on ur druid against mage rogue.
    Hmm, an interesting speculation there. Makes me want to grab a crab (eh rhyme) to try out intervene. Hmm I think I will do that actually, thanks!

Hmm, an interesting speculation there. Makes me want to grab a crab (eh rhyme) to try out intervene. Hmm I think I will do that actually, thanks!
    Make sure you make yourself either a mouse over macro or 1 macro for you 1 for your druid.

As others have said, the primary reason I prefer the crab is due to it's similar snare ability while having more defenses and an additional cool down for you to use in intervene against melee, which in some games can win a game for you. A rogue/warrior swapping to you and opening on your crab instead of you can be a huge advantage. If you utilize the charge ability then the requirement of being in melee range for the crab's snare isn't as bad as some people think when comparing it to the spider's.