Page 1 of 6
... LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

A kind gnome that changed my ways.

This is a little recollection of an encounter I had with a gnome in Dragonblight while questing/levelling. Prior to meeting this person, I was the type of guy that would yell at someone who failed or sucked, instead of providing constructive suggestions. I would look down upon others, and consider those with less knowledge than myself a burden to play with, and begrudged them their presence in the raid. I don't know how I got to that stage, I'm not like that in life, but I turned into a bit of an elitist prick.

I was on this very warrior in fact, back when it was a little gnome too. I eventually found myself with only a group quest left, to kill a giant worm in a frozen cavern in northern Dragonblight. I tried to solo it, as I had solo'd a few others, but I was arms and had little self-healing, and died twice. Cursing the thought of waiting for someone else to be on the same quest, I decided to try my luck and typed the usual LFG message into general chat. To my delight, a few seconds later I got a whisper from a gnome death knight (a female one with pink hair) - such a combination might send a chill down your spine, but I wasn't bothered.

Right off the bat I notice this person is very timid and apologetic. This person is on the opposite side of the map (southeastern Dragonblight), and he/she (will just say she from now on [girl's name]) doesn't even have the quest I mentioned. She whispers me asking if I would like her help, but she's very far away and new at the game so she might not be good enough to kill the monster. Right about now my heart starts breaking. Why apologise to me when you're going out of your way, taking at least 20 minutes of your time to come and help a complete stranger out for nothing in return? I soon found out why. This girl had been flamed multiple times when joining groups. She was new at the game, nobody had patience for her or understand that we all start somewhere, nobody gave her any tips or help of any kind. She was worried she would be met with the same hostility even though she was helping me out.

I instantly reflected upon how much of a complete asshole I'd been, I felt really sympathetic for this poor gnome, as I know full well how nasty people can be in the game. After we successfully killed the worm, I spoke to her some more. I filled her in on many of the social conventions in WoW, loot convention, and just the way to play decently well and follow the usual conventions to get nice and far and have a fruitful WoW life. I felt the need to reward the kindness shown to me, and opened up a trade box and put enough gold in there for a flying mount and other miscellaneous costs associated with reaching 80, and before accepting she asked if "I was sure" and other such things before accepting. First time I ever saw someone take more than 2 seconds to accept a trade of over 1k gold, let alone ask if I was sure. I actually had to give a good explanation as to why the person deserved it :P

Easily the kindest person I have ever came across on WoW, and thanks to that gnome I changed my ways and shedded my worthless elitist shell, and sought to help out those new with the game when the opportunity was raised. It truly restored my faith in humanity in WoW, and was an inspirational experience for me. I wish I could speak with that person again, but with a personality like that I'm sure they'll go far no matter where they are, in WoW or not.

So, have you ever met any such person in WoW? Where your heart sank into your chest? Or changed you in some way? The majority of the people you meet on WoW may be selfish worthless wankers, but every now and then you really do come across a diamond in the rough, and it really makes up for all the crap.

Edit: Here's a nice song I heard from House that will make you a little softer inside. http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=UGPzyGIaw0E

Edit#2: I know, we vulcans are meant to be able to control our emotions completely, but sometimes you jes' gotta' let it all out.
    Last edited by Tuvok; 2010-09-06 at 12:13 AM.
    "The truth, my goal."

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by nickista View Post
    cool story bro
    Thanks, mr. original.
    "The truth, my goal."

I thought you changed your ways

Indeed, touching story.

Quote Originally Posted by nickista View Post
    I thought you changed your ways
    You could afford to change yours.

I disagree, its their own damn fault for sucking. Soft is for pussy's. Man up, bitch.

Quote Originally Posted by Sarik View Post
    I disagree, its their own damn fault for sucking. Soft is for pussy's. Man up, bitch.
    Of course there's an Undead Rogue in the sig, why did I know that would be there before scrolling all the way down?

Also, weren't you bitching in another topic about the music changing, of all things?
    Last edited by Stelio Kontos; 2010-09-06 at 12:21 AM. Reason: Spelling

10+ Year Old Account
    she was jesus's little sister?

I cried. ;( (lol)

LOVE the story! Definitely inspiring.

Deleted
    Welcome to the side of the light, please be careful of the "No Paladins" on your way in

Quote Originally Posted by atsawin26 View Post
    Of course there's an Undead Rogue in the sig, why did I know that would be there before scrolling all the way down?

Also, weren't you bitching in another topic about the music changing, of all things?
    So, by your moronic logic someone that likes inspirational music can't be somone that isn't a complete pussy?

Here's what I think. They woulden't help you, why help them.

/Thread.

If they are in dragonblight then they have leveled all the way to 73ish, they have to have SOME experience with the game.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    A nice read, good of you to do what you did.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

So, by your moronic logic someone that likes inspirational music can't be somone that isn't a complete pussy?

/Thread.
    Because the new music is any less inspirational. Grow some balls, pussy.

This just in, it's hard to appear hard over the internet.

Good story, I normally do the same thing as you, I try to help new players because it just ruins their gaming experience if you're being a total prick and how is one supposed to learn from ones mistake if he doesn't know he made it?

10+ Year Old Account

/Thread.
    2 things brah
    1) that made no sense at all to me, im sure there are others that can agree to that
    2) suggest you shut it, now. keep what dignity you got and don't let yourself be banned.

Deleted
    Although you leveled to 73, what about if
    In West Philidelphia Born and raised on the playground where i spent most of my days :P
    Explain that :P

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Yes actually I have.

I leveled my troll hunter 2 1/2 years ago on a server called Nathrezim. I was an immense noob at the game, i had played a lot of other video games on the PC and Xbox, but i wasn't prepared for all of the little intricacies of the game. While I was dying in Hillsbrad to lvl 30 yetis, a level 25 blood elf mage and a level 28 troll shaman came up to me and asked me if I wanted help. I saw they were in a guild and I thought hey this might be a chance to get into a real WoW guild. I accepted their help and we ended up spending the whole day leveling together. The next day I logged on and the shaman, named Faydid, asked me if I wanted to be in the guild. I was ecstatic! The guild helped me level to 70 and sent me on my way to a friendly, late night raiding guild. I will always remember the kind adventurers who helped me on my journey to Karazhan!
    ABOMS NORTH-LEFT!

10+ Year Old Account
    I like this story. The community makes it shitty on new players so hopefully this will help broaden some perspectives.