Page 1 of 3
LastLast

10k damage shadowbolt in Vanilla

Hey there. My friend and I were discussing Vanilla WoW, when he mentioned about warlocks critting people for 10k damage with a shadowbolt. Now I found this hard to believe, since even now at 80 a 10k hit in pvp is pretty hefty, back in Vanilla you would have one shot ANYONE. However he keeps telling me it's true. I tried looking for any videos are general knowledge about, but couldn't find anything.

So I ask you, was it possible to crit 10k with a shadowbolt back in Vanilla? If it was, how so?

Deleted
    This is indeed true, I can't find the wellknown video.. But you have my word that it is true.

Paladins were oneshotting world bosses. Bugs/Exploits happened during vanilla. I think it was only possible under certain circumstances and with a bit exploiting. Not common though. (Even though warlocks were OP once upon a time, there were even raid strats to kill one)
    Last edited by Samin; 2010-08-24 at 11:02 AM.
    Samin
    Quote Originally Posted by Ashrana View Post
    So, what would be your reaction, if you found out, that come cata release first patch, blizzard were planning to kill everyone by sending a bear through the mail?

15+ Year Old Account
    I do remember ruin locks hitting pretty damn hard on occasion in bg's but I don't recall 10k shadowbolts. Maybe with a dual trinket use (back when u could do that) + berserker + flask + blah blah maybe they could get that high. But on a sustainable level, I don't think they got nearly that high.

10+ Year Old Account
    I think your friend is talking about those mobs with negative shadow resist allowing ultra high crit (10k crit was a pretty high crit in vanilla)
    warlocks could do 10k+ crits in BC though

Quote Originally Posted by Samin View Post
    Paladins were oneshotting world bosses.
    I only heard of this being done on Lord Kazzak and it was hotfixed very shortly afterwards. Reckoning was crazy back then.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I wish Blizzard would realize that adding features designed to achieve convenience for players in turn make this game more of a job

Deleted
    the 10k shadowbolts happend in PvP aswell

Zandalarian Hero Charm
    Other Spelldmg Increasing Trinket
    Power infusion (Increases your dmg by 20%)
    Demonic Sacrifice (15% More shadowdmg)
    Ruin (100% Crit dmg bonus)

15+ Year Old Account
    I'm sure some of you remember how outraged people were about mages critting with pyroblast for over 10k at level 70, soon after release of BC. That was one of the main reasons Blizz made it so you couldn't proc both trinkets at once anymore. Now that was on a 3 minute or so cooldown, at level 70, with berserker and all that. I seriously doubt this happened at level 60 in a pvp environment, sustainably. I know destro locks in full Warlord gear were critting for like 3k+ with shadowbolts. Naxx gear had SLIGHTLY more SP on it, but not enough to bring shadow bolts up another 6+k or so.

The trash in BWL before or after(can't remember) Chromaggus took extra shadow damage, so 10k shadowbolts were pretty common on those.

10+ Year Old Account
    I remember seeing this video too. I believe it was the usual thing though, a soulfire perhaps, but trinkets, bg/world buffs, potions/flasks/elixirs (they all stacked back then), there are a few things, also including things like recklessness (the warrior takes 25% more damage).

Stupid high numbers are easy to pull with cooperation and planning from others, just like the same people that focus all their buffs on one person in a raid so they can get a #1 wlog parse - and while even though it was under completely ridiculous buffing and raid cooperation, would still claim it as a deserving #1 spot.
    "The truth, my goal."

It is possible, Shaman's and Warlock's fully buffed with everything you could imagine
    (ZG trinket+self buffs+other classes buffs+berserker(?)+potions/flasks+++)

I have a link that a Shaman crits 25k during Vanilla, unfortunatly I am not allowed to link anything until I post a few times, iLol

this is indeed true with alot of buffs, and the only reason this doesn't know in pvp right now is this shit called
    Resilience
    that ruined PvP for me =(
    R.I.P. One-shotting Warlocks

25k shaman crit, just fix the link the space between www and .
    www .youtube.com/watch?v=Ghu7cBG_cQA&p=0A613D8334ECBB14&playnext=1&index=17

The vanilla "Curse of Shadow" was 'bugged' so that it could result in negative spell resistance. The scaling of negative resistance was pretty insane, so under the right circumstances, 10k crits were possible.

Then they 'fixed' negative resistance.

at one point you could debuff spell resists into negative numbers meaning they took more damage

and dont forget the bwl trash where you could rack up large numbers if you were able to do the right kind of spell damage or you did 75% less damage

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Underskilled View Post
    So I ask you, was it possible to crit 10k with a shadowbolt back in Vanilla? If it was, how so?
    yes but only in some special cases

for example - mobs with shadow vulnerability in BWL - on them crits were insane especially if they were affected by shadow vulnerability applied by improved shadow bolt talent

on mobs with no shadow vulnerability - i believe it was possible too
    with the debuff from improved shadow bolt + Curse of Shadow + activated 2 trinkets
    yea u were able to activate both trinkets at same time back then

but in short - yea there were 10k crits though in some special situation only
    Originally Posted by Blizzard Entertainment

Q: Will WoW ever get a new weapon type?
    A. Tauren will be able to dual-wield gnomes on a stick.

I have heard it too, maybe it wasnt Shadowbolt but a Soulfire, but its true..
    i think it was entirely possible in some BWL mobs, or a specific boss for a good geared warlock.
    For the story, my warlock (that i was just leveling him) did a 3K Soulfire in lord Kazzak in blues/epics a little before TBC launch @ lvl 60
    Got a Warlock as a main, a Druid and a DK at 80 as alts and lvling a Rogue..

"You are only as good player, as the guild you are into"

10+ Year Old Account
    This is indeed true, I don't recall the videos name, but I have seen a Warlock crit 10.000 Damage on a Shadowbolt in PvP at Vanilla. It's even referenced in the "That's the World of Warcraft that you Play" song.
    Quote Originally Posted by Boubouille
    Just when I thought I was done with class changes, they pull me back in!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OKMvMgfNSbE

This is a video of a 13k SB in BWL, I am assuming that the mob was weak against shadow on that pack. I havent heard of SB crits getting that high pre-bc otherwise. Except maybe on the remaining adds once you downed Razuvious in naxx, I forget if the debuff they got included spell damage or not.
    Quote Originally Posted by Dominating View Post
    I wish Blizzard would realize that adding features designed to achieve convenience for players in turn make this game more of a job