Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    Quote Originally Posted by CrowShammy View Post
    about the lulz totemic reach part...ya, i know. but, blizz has stated they want every spec to have non-dps increasing talents and/or situational talents, and by free'ing up the required 3 points in primal wisdom/reduced cost of unleashed rage, where else would YOU put them? i for one see totemic reach, potentially, as a utility/situational (indirectly) dps-increasing talent, in that it would free up GCD's on heavy movement fights, such as prof. putricide, of which there are sure to be more like it somewhere down the road in raids. sure, we may still need to drop a fire (re: searing) totem on these fights, but saving the mana on having to redrop windfury/str of earth is, for me, a convenience factor that may prove somewhat worthwhile. besides, no matter how much some people want a change to basic totem design, we're stuck with them. increased range on them might prove beneficial.

on target switch fights, on a mob thats relatively insignificant in terms of hitpoints, not sure why you'd want to transfer searing flames debuff to them, as your lava lash would then consume those charges. seems to me you'd want to keep searing flames on the main target (boss), so that when you switch back to him, you'd have a fully, truck-like hitting lava lash to unleash on him. seems that's one way blizz is trying to give us "recoverable" damage when we don't have 100% uptime on melee swings on a target. perhaps i'm just not understanding you're post concerning this.

i do agree tho that the searing totem preferring flame shock debuffed targets is still a very, seemingly, clunky mechanic, especially if they're tying searing totem into also preferring targets w/ stormstrike debuff (which i'm almost positive i read somewhere, can't seem to find it however).
    I specifically said the reason I'd want an ability that lets me choose Searing Totem's target was so it would never switch to an insignificant add that I was attacking, regardless of the debuffs I put on it. If you re-read what I said, and I'll quote it,
    Quote Originally Posted by Autonomy
    Not to mention would allow us to keep building stacks on a main target under the circumstance that there is a target switch but it's not an important mob.. just an add to burn where you wouldn't want your searing totem on it anyway
    it's nearly EXACTLY what you just said. I DON'T want Searing Totem to be debuff based for that very reason and pointed out that an ability that would switch it's target (also off the GCD) would be beneficial for the times I do want it to switch targets without having their clunky current "fix" get in the way of that because of debuffs.

And for the other points, pretty much anything besides Totemic Reach. Possibly Imp Shields, Reverb, Focused Strikes, or even Elemental Precision. Hard to tell now, but I'm 99.9% sure they're all better options than totem range that won't even be utilized most of the time. Minimal totem range is nothing, especially on your Putricide example. You'll have to spend the GCD redropping totems there anyway, who cares if it's 5 steps later. The GCD is still wasted and a miniscule range talent will not change that. They'll have to come up with something better than a talent to increase totem range that costs 2 points if they want it to be considered..
    Last edited by Autonomy; 2010-09-15 at 08:30 PM.

good news... it was about time ^^
    10 years ago we had Steve Jobs, Bob Hope and Johnny Cash. Now we have no Jobs, no Hope and no Cash.

If i find myself mana starved trying to pvp it wont be enough of a chnage, atm i am under impression that I will be.

10+ Year Old Account
    For a PVE build, I am looking at http://wowtal.com/#k=ZbKLfBIjH.9zi.shaman. What do you guys think.
    I can stand the sight of worms,
    And look at microscopic germs,
    But Technicolor pachyderms,
    Is really too much for me.

Tragic victim of Altitis

There is a elegantly simple fix to all this trouble with searing totem that would simplify the rotation and still give the enhance shaman some decision on when to use lava lash. First, scrap the stacking debuff from searing flames -> just make it just hit for damage worth dropping it over magma totem for single target. Then turn the symbiosis that searing totem had with lava lash into a dependency on flame shock (flame shock makes lava burst auto-crit for ele, flame shock makes lava lash hit like a truck for enhance).

With this, if your searing totem fails to follow you around to EVERY target the quick changing enhance shaman chooses, its not a terribly big deal (searing bolts have a travel time after all, so even if it DOES switch, there's no guarantee that it will actually contribute to your kill target). There is still small ramp-up time for melee damage (as to not make enhance overpowered in pvp (HEAVEN FORBID!!!!)), and enhance can stop monitoring its second combo system. All the while, still maintaining a play style that is engaging and true to its lore.

OT Good changes, steps in the right direction are always welcome.

Quote Originally Posted by Tarheelhal View Post
    Blizz wants enhance to be an class that is melee but also uses lightning bolt etc,
    Maybe it would be nice enhance gets an sort of "lightning overload" http://www.wowhead.com/spell=30679 ,
    But thats procs on melee atacks !
    Would love to see that as enhance <3
    Absolutely not. First of all, we essentially have that in Maelstrom Weapon. Second, that would just add more RNG to our damage, which is exactly what we're trying to avoid.

Quote Originally Posted by Bludstorm View Post
    For a PVE build, I am looking at http://wowtal.com/#k=ZbKLfBIjH.9zi.shaman. What do you guys think.
    I'm not sure if the third point in Imp shields will be better or the second point in Call of Flame will win for single target dps. I could see dropping points in Imp shields to get Imp fire nova for improved ae capability if it becomes important enough.

Overall that is what I expect almost all enhancement shaman to end up with tho.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play an enhancement shaman at 2.4k~ mmr well used to, burnt out on wow right now due to playing too much. But anyways, my question... If you're an enhancement shaman who can actually play I.E not a pver who thinks he can, like a legit 2k+ atleast, tell me how viable they are in cataclysm so i can know whether i should stay enhance or go ele, because throughout BC Ele was better and Wotlk, Ele was better, but with primal strike and that elemental fury or w/e it's called, i'm thinking it might be a bit more viable, but it would also ruin our GCD, which is what enhancement shamans run off. Please respond w/ decent information, but like i said, good pvp enhance shaman, not some pver. Kthxbai.

Quote Originally Posted by crakerjack View Post
    I play an enhancement shaman at 2.4k~ mmr well used to, burnt out on wow right now due to playing too much. But anyways, my question... If you're an enhancement shaman who can actually play I.E not a pver who thinks he can, like a legit 2k+ atleast, tell me how viable they are in cataclysm so i can know whether i should stay enhance or go ele, because throughout BC Ele was better and Wotlk, Ele was better, but with primal strike and that elemental fury or w/e it's called, i'm thinking it might be a bit more viable, but it would also ruin our GCD, which is what enhancement shamans run off. Please respond w/ decent information, but like i said, good pvp enhance shaman, not some pver. Kthxbai.
    If I ever get around to repatching beta I'll do some BGs and stuff and get some information for you. I think that it's going to be pretty screwy for us unless they revamp Searing Flames. That aside, the removal of 50% MS, while doesn't directly help us, shows the shift from the extreme dependence on having one (unless you're a caster cleave team in this season) to (this is pure speculation here) more intelligent play from a DPS' perspective.
    From what I'm hearing (again, haven't played it on beta) elemental is looking very good. Their mastery seems perfect for PvP, and things like SWG should help them out a lot in PvE/PvP.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LyskaWF View Post
    If I ever get around to repatching beta I'll do some BGs and stuff and get some information for you. I think that it's going to be pretty screwy for us unless they revamp Searing Flames. That aside, the removal of 50% MS, while doesn't directly help us, shows the shift from the extreme dependence on having one (unless you're a caster cleave team in this season) to (this is pure speculation here) more intelligent play from a DPS' perspective.
    From what I'm hearing (again, haven't played it on beta) elemental is looking very good. Their mastery seems perfect for PvP, and things like SWG should help them out a lot in PvE/PvP.
    Just wish i could go on beta and test a few things out that i think might be affective for enhancement, instead of waiting for cataclysm to come out then tweek w/ things. Like in the spec that i have now, i don't get the searing totem talent because flametongue is much more useful. The burning affect is useless since you just flame shock, unless you have a druid w/ you to faeri fire. But if you are going to go on the beta, just give me a rough estimate in a BG or world pvp (on resil targets if possible) the dmg of primal strike and Elemental Unleash. Oh and if you have extra time, feel like a child asking you to do so many tasks hah, but yea, test ele for me and give me a rough estimate on a PvP burst E.I Lava burst/chain lightning.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by shatterednebula View Post
    There is a elegantly simple fix to all this trouble with searing totem that would simplify the rotation and still give the enhance shaman some decision on when to use lava lash. First, scrap the stacking debuff from searing flames -> just make it just hit for damage worth dropping it over magma totem for single target. Then turn the symbiosis that searing totem had with lava lash into a dependency on flame shock (flame shock makes lava burst auto-crit for ele, flame shock makes lava lash hit like a truck for enhance).

With this, if your searing totem fails to follow you around to EVERY target the quick changing enhance shaman chooses, its not a terribly big deal (searing bolts have a travel time after all, so even if it DOES switch, there's no guarantee that it will actually contribute to your kill target). There is still small ramp-up time for melee damage (as to not make enhance overpowered in pvp (HEAVEN FORBID!!!!)), and enhance can stop monitoring its second combo system. All the while, still maintaining a play style that is engaging and true to its lore.

OT Good changes, steps in the right direction are always welcome.
    quite like this idea. i have my doubts as to whether searing totem will cut it despite any changes they try to sort it. its ok for ele (me fortunately) as its just additional damage, but if the current implementation doesnt work out for enhance it'll be nigh-on crippling. im not sure how fast flame shock dots get with a lot of haste (you enhancing lot will know im sure) but i cant see it being so fast as to mess up your suggested system (ie stacking too quickly). hell it'd make it scale with haste, which im not sure searing does/will. not sure how this would work with flame shock on multiple targets though? if it was stil a stacking debuff i suppose thatd be fine, though im not sure blizz would want you having multiple stacks on adds if it was doing decent damage.

also annoying is that our (ele) range increase also affects fire nova, down in tier 3 where our enhancement bretherin cant get at it. it might be nice for ele levelling without EQ, but after that the effect is probly mostly wasted on a spell blizz says we wont be using. they should throw that (novas) range increase into enh's fire nova talents

autonomy: ya man, just misunderstood you're statement, first sentence is what really threw me off. wasnt trying to ruffle any feathers. i'd only take totemic reach if it truly came down to "nothing but situational/utility talents left", which is not the case. only wish it were in a way.

i for one have been thinking of picking up reverb. i'm hoping earth shock w/ enough mastery will start to move up more in overall % of damage done, simply for the fact that it would be more "recoverable" damage, versus the situation we have now where the vast majority of our output is thru melee and melee procs, all rng. faster cooldown on shocks is obviously a dps talent, and the faster interrupt is something i personally would love to have, even in a pve environment since i try to top the ol' interrupt meter on fights requiring it (hell, even for trash i'm interrupting like mad).

still seems to me to be too many dps increasing talents overall for enhance. gotta wonder why, when blizz's intention is to have some talents not be so much required for dps, and more towards the "fun"/situational talents. (i didn't dream that they posted that, did i?)

also agree that it would be nice if they did scrap searing flames, to somehow tie increased lava lash damage into flame shock instead.

in the above posted build, dropping a point from acuity and putting it into call of flame, keeping imp. shields maxed would be an option, perhaps? (for strict single target maximization)

Quote Originally Posted by shatterednebula View Post
    With this, if your searing totem fails to follow you around to EVERY target the quick changing enhance shaman chooses, its not a terribly big deal (searing bolts have a travel time after all, so even if it DOES switch, there's no guarantee that it will actually contribute to your kill target).
    I am seriously worried about searing breaking CC. Target 1 dies and it automatically targets the wrong target next.

Would be nice if they changed the Talent of Searing Flames completely. Call it "Flame Infusion" 1Point Talent, that changes the Searing Totem to a buff totem which applies a buff which provides for example 1% haste. Stacks up to 5. Improved Lava Lash stays and would consume the stacks. This way we free up same Talent points and on the other hand no need to worry about Searing Totem to break CC effects.

Or make it a 2point Talent which decreases the Cast time of LvB by 10%/20%. Stacks up to 5.

Quote Originally Posted by tsyko View Post
    Would be nice if they changed the Talent of Searing Flames completely. Call it "Flame Infusion" 1Point Talent, that changes the Searing Totem to a buff totem which applies a buff which provides for example 1% haste. Stacks up to 5. Improved Lava Lash stays and would consume the stacks. This way we free up same Talent points and on the other hand no need to worry about Searing Totem to break CC effects.
    This does not in any ways address our issues with the mechanic.

Quote Originally Posted by tsyko View Post
    Or make it a 2point Talent which decreases the Cast time of LvB by 10%/20%. Stacks up to 5.
    It's called maelstrom weapon. They already took it away - why would they give it back in some retarded fashion like this?

Quote Originally Posted by LyskaWF View Post
    This does not in any ways address our issues with the mechanic.
    Sorry if i miss something. But I thought the problem (in PvE) with the mechanic at the moment is breaking cc/target switching/stacking of the debuff.
    The haste part was just an example. My main concern was to buff yourself instead of debuffing enemies.

It's called maelstrom weapon. They already took it away - why would they give it back in some retarded fashion like this?
    I know. I just liked instant LvB, was just a quick idea to bring it back
    Last edited by tsyko; 2010-09-16 at 01:24 PM.

Regarding the spec :: wowtal.com/#k=ZbKLfBIjH.9zi.shaman

Would it be worthwhile to pick up Elemental Precision for the 1%/2%/3% damage increase to Fire, Frost and Nature spells? Also, what would stop us from enchanting to gemming one gem slot for spirit for some hit rating? Just a thought since I think it was mentioned on EJ at one time, but I think Reverb will definitely be a talent to max out for more shocks.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by jace5869 View Post
    Regarding the spec :: wowtal.com/#k=ZbKLfBIjH.9zi.shaman

Would it be worthwhile to pick up Elemental Precision for the 1%/2%/3% damage increase to Fire, Frost and Nature spells? Also, what would stop us from enchanting to gemming one gem slot for spirit for some hit rating? Just a thought since I think it was mentioned on EJ at one time, but I think Reverb will definitely be a talent to max out for more shocks.
    Rather than gemming spirit to get only spell hit. wont you gem hit to get spell and melee hit?
    I can stand the sight of worms,
    And look at microscopic germs,
    But Technicolor pachyderms,
    Is really too much for me.

Tragic victim of Altitis