Thread: GS Debate Ended

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

GS Debate Ended

I personally use GS and Wow-Heroes to gauge those i invite into pug raids. However, recently I found out about another Inspection add-on I would like to make all here aware of. Just like GS and WH it gives you a numeric score. However unlike those two forms it also looks at your enchants and gear to see if they are appropriate for your Spec. It also displays your raid/dungeon history. The name of this add-on is Elitist-Group.

Thought I would share my discovery with all of you as I find it quite useful. It sure as hell cuts time when inspecting those I invite to pug raids.

Sincerely,

B0Z
    Quote Originally Posted by Piggietails View Post
    You don't find Shadowmourne in PvP, it finds you.

Deleted
    This addon has been around for almost as long as GS.

Old news.

elitest group has been out for as long as gs has.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Well there you have it folks, debate ended

EG has been posted here many times and was on the front page not all that long ago as well.

yeaahhhhhhh this is a pretty old addon

Quote Originally Posted by lordhakera View Post
    This addon has been around for almost as long as GS.

Old news.
    Then why is GS much more popular? Must be a downside to E-G?

Elitist Group has been known for a long time now, and it was in fact written about on this very site when it came out.

In other breaking news, moving pictures now have sound.

Doesnt change the fact that I discovered it recently and that it is a far better gauge of a person's knowledge of their character.

Pretty much what others have said, it's been out ages, and imo, IS a lot better than GS as you don't just follow a number, you actually see their experience/gear/gems/enchants(if missing/bad gems etc).
    I just wish others would use that instead of a number what means you can get bad gear but it doesn't matter.

*don't know if GS can do that but most people just go "LFM XY NEED Zk GS OR IGNORE!!!!1!1!"

Sounds epic, Hopefully it will show my stats on my eng enchants

Quote Originally Posted by Bozkurt View Post
    Doesnt change the fact that I discovered it recently and that it is a far better gauge of a person's knowledge of their character.
    People didnt have to use GS, checking achievements or what ever before, and we dont need it now either.

Sure, but right now everyone uses gearscore because it's popular. Posts here aren't going to change that.

Deleted
    Well it does actually, you titled the thread "Gearscore debate ended" but you haven't ended anything.

That is when I actually discovered it, but seeing as to how much QQ there is about GS being broken, i thought I could bring it up again, as it is simply an easy inspect tool

You don't get it. People don't want that, they want one number that they can inflate, compare, etc. without having to think.

Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    People didnt have to use GS, checking achievements or what ever before, and we dont need it now either.
    That's like saying we didn't have to use RDF to get groups in BC, so we don't need it now. It's a tool - a useful tool. Like anything that requires player judgement, you will have it misused sometimes.

Quote Originally Posted by Krypper View Post
    You don't get it. People don't want that, they want one number that they can inflate, compare, etc. without having to think.
    Pretty much. Saying:
    "LFM ICC 5.7kGS+"
    is easier than
    "LFM ICC XEG score and 100% proper gems/encahnts and 95% ICC experience"

and most players will take the path of least resistance

People like GS because it takes 0 time to use. This addon (which I've used in the past) takes a small amount of time. I'm proficient enough that if I want to take that time I can inspect them and make these choices myself, in addition (unless they have changed it) it will throw up a red flag for anyone using pvp gear which is actually a better option for some players and some gear levels.

Usually what I've found with GS is that it's often the low GS players who are not enchanted or gemmed poorly, once you break 5.7k GS people tend to have taken care of their gear. This isn't always true of course but it is the reason that most people gravitate to GS, cause it's easy.

These kinds of "character auditing" addons/websites have an entirely different problem. The scores and/or judgments they make can be extremely controversial.

For example, the categorization of appropriate or inappropriate enchants. Basically you get one of two problems, either 1) the parameters are set so restrictive so that any legitimate deviation from the single most-used enchant gets marked inappropriate; or 2) the paramteters are set to be so inclusive that it's almost meaningless anyway.

Here's a fantastic example: Be.Imba.Hu and tanking weapon enchants. That character auditor includes both problems at the exact same time! Blood Draining is flagged as improper by the site (really?!), whereas every imaginable enchant that would have any use for a tank is flagged "proper". In other slots, Armsman (to gloves) and Mighty Armor (to cloak) are both considered "acceptable" and not "proper".

Categorizing enchants or gems as acceptable and unacceptable is really just too much for an addon or website like that. The middle ground between falsely rejecting an enchant and being too inclusive and accepting clearly improper enchants is simply too narrow.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by danoob77 View Post
    People like GS because it takes 0 time to use. This addon (which I've used in the past) takes a small amount of time. I'm proficient enough that if I want to take that time I can inspect them and make these choices myself, in addition (unless they have changed it) it will throw up a red flag for anyone using pvp gear which is actually a better option for some players and some gear levels.

Usually what I've found with GS is that it's often the low GS players who are not enchanted or gemmed poorly, once you break 5.7k GS people tend to have taken care of their gear. This isn't always true of course but it is the reason that most people gravitate to GS, cause it's easy.
    While the poor gemming and enchanting is true, everyone does it, you don't put the highest gem and enchants in gear you will be replacing in a couple of days. Everyone does that