Poll: What do you think should happen?

Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Portals: lets get to the point

The topic Portals has created ~20 threads on this forum, this being ~Nr.21. In all 20 threads i read the same arguments over and over again and the discussion stands still because no one reads what the others say or just ignore it then posts fade and the thread gets pushed back by other portal threads. In every new thread this is repeated over and over again. I hope to bring a stop to this by summarizing the debate so far, so that it does not have to start all over again and actual discussion can take place.

Event & Reason:
    As all of you know the Portals have been removed from Shatrath and Dalaran, the reason is the developers want us to stay in the 'new old world' instead of afking in portal-hub-cities that are relics of the past.

Discussion so far:
    As i see it there are three groups in this discussion: those who think the change will ruin or downgrade their game-experience, those who think that this is actually a good change and those who are sick of this discussion or do not care and just want the whiners to stop.

Pro Arguments:
    • Traveling is a part of RPGs and it was to easy to get to where you want during BC and Wrath.
    • Traveling brings back world-PvP.
    • Players being in old cities brings back world PvP.
    • "My mage will be making a fortune."
    • I no longer have to go to Lagaran.

Contra Argument:
    • Traveling will be removed for those who do not like it anyway in cata because there are portals in OG/SW to every point of interest.
    • Traveling and exploring is encouraged by 5 minutes 'brainless' travel-time instead of 15.
    • Not having portals makes cities like thunderbluff but also every other city that does not have the cataclysm-portals even more unattractive than before, hence enforcing ghosttowns even further, as no one will idle around in places where he will have 5 minute traveling-loadingscreen before he can start playing.
    • Welcome to Lagrimmar and Lag Wind proudly presented by 'no portals no more'.
    • We can not react to raids other then the major city
    • It will be impossible to raid OG/SW because ALL the playerbase will be there and the server would crash.
    • Traveling will not be part of anything for me, because i will go afk if it last longer then 5min.

I don't care Argument:
    • There was a time when there were no portals, new*.
    • You can ask mages.
    • This is the 14785th thread about this, enough already.

Well this is indeed the 14785th thread about this and i may deserve posts about that, but still i had to try and still i hope it will be a minimum so that the discussion can evolve from here on.

I will also add a poll so we get an impression how the general opinion about this is.
    Last edited by mmoc2eef1b4c72; 2010-09-28 at 06:40 PM.

I really don't mind it, but (even though it'll never happen) I would like to see my Jaina's Locket changed to orgrimmar, but fat chance of that.

Quote Originally Posted by Farahawnee View Post
    Not having an authenticator on your account is like not locking your windows because your front door is locked, and then wondering how a burglar got in.

What people dont know/realize is that the flight paths and fly time as been decreased alot. The flight from Orgimmar to Tanaris is alot faster, and by that I mean ALOT.

Servers didnt crash in vanilla and they wont crash in Cataclysm. Not because lag in towns anyway

Deleted
    damn how do i edit the poll, there is a typo in there...

10+ Year Old Account
    i got my ring. it's all good

also..

You ding 81
    You use your dal port ring to go to dal
    You train new skills
    You use your hearthstone to take you back to hyjal.
    That's thinking w/ portals.
    Sig: Left-aligned forms are the slowest of the three to complete because of the number of eye fixations they require to parse.

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Max Del View Post

also..

You ding 81
    You train new skills
    Logical thinking aint for the majority of the WoW community

OP, dude its a forum. ppl dont read content, they stroke their epeen and/or let go some nerd rage. what did you expect? nice info but i am afraid you are wasting your time. BRB i gotta lick some windows.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Max Del View Post

also..

You ding 81
    You train new skills
    You could HS to OG, visit your trainer and take the portal back to Hjyal/Vashj'ir.
    ...those portal-threads are going to bother me

"Servers didnt crash in vanilla and they wont crash in Cataclysm. Not because lag in towns anyway"

/insert maniacal laughter.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by babyback View Post
    Servers didnt crash in vanilla and they wont crash in Cataclysm. Not because lag in towns anyway
    I played in Vanilla and, yes, servers crashed ALL the time when there were city raids.
    I still remember reading the chat logs one day and people saying "YAY! We killed Magni right as the server crashed!"

15+ Year Old Account
    I still do not get the controversy about portal removal at all. Who cares if you can't go to a hub and take portals to all of the capitals. How many times do Alliance players honestly take the Exodar or Darnassus portals? I know I don't unless I am going there for a world event, loremaster etc. All of the major cities already have ways to access other capitals using mass transit systems, why would they need portals, because people are too lazy to stand at a dock for 20 seconds? This is one of the stupidest arguments I have ever seen. Max level players have no reason to whine because you already don't use all 4 capitals per faction and can reach the new areas easy enough with portals in old cities. Leveling players have no reason to whine now that they get AHs and trainers in the hub cities.

Also, the defense of cities argument is a joke and anyone saying that should be slapped. How many people actually show up to try and defend a capital leader? 5-10? I know on my realm if the Horde is attacking SW through the tram there can be hundreds of people milling around the bank and ah and about a dozen bother to run back to the keep and see what is going on.

Deleted
    seriously i don't see the problem with no portals. Now that we can fly in azeroth there really isn't that far. U will only need portals in low lvls.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aregios View Post
    You could HS to OG, visit your trainer and take the portal back to Hjyal/Vashj'ir.
    ...those portal-threads are going to bother me
    im setting my hearth to the quest hubs n_n
    Sig: Left-aligned forms are the slowest of the three to complete because of the number of eye fixations they require to parse.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm just mad because I bought the damned shadowmourne locket last week for 13k because I thought it would help me level in cata to have a second hearthstone.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stratorogue View Post
    I'm just mad because I bought the damned shadowmourne locket last week for 13k because I thought it would help me level in cata to have a second hearthstone.
    it will if you set your hearth to the quest hub and train there =/

Honestly.. and I say this as someone who has an 80 in every category but a hunter.. we don't need a central hub. We have hearth stones that were an hour, but now 30 minutes. Shamans and any Inscription profession player even more "hearths" (in fact the RNG factor of low skill scrolls are a blessing in disguise).

Sure when burning crusade was released yes players ravished in the idea of:
    (A) Not needing to find and beg a mage to send their main character across the world.
    (B) Being able to power level the alt much faster.

But that is why shattrath was so lag intense, as a major hub for both alliance and horde, max and low level, it was too effective. Dalaran suffered the same problem (although lessened lately with a lot of players MIA). But between dungeon finder teleport and central portal hubs, its too much instant gratification. I seriously wish we went back to the days of mage portals only.

And to be honest yes my main is a mage. All my characters are parked in Exodar less I need to use them elsewhere, being one of the only 5-10 people in the entire city. Lag free and I just love the decor. I refuse most requests to portal those who are not level 80. Especially if they ask for Dal or Shatt.

10+ Year Old Account
    There's no need for portals anymore. Blizzard are making all the instance quest givers appear in the dungeons, so you don't have to travel anywhere to grab the quests. New zones are designed that you can stay in one continent

If you're levelling up in outland or northrend, your only reason to go back to the main cities is to go to your trainer.

Now that all of the appropriate class trainers have been placed where the portals used to be...the portals are no longer needed.
    Quote Originally Posted by Respen
    I was very disappointed in the screenshots. I usually base my entire gaming experience around ground textures and so far it seems like Cata will be totally unplayable.

No portals. Keep the sense of adventure alive within the RPG part of MMORP.

Portals aren't needed anymore, not with trainers in their place. Plus there is still the portal in each city to the Dark Portal and the portal to Org at the inside of the Dark Portal. They won't really be needed for inter-city travel since you can fly in Azeroth at 310% speed. There are also portals to the new Cata zones in Org/SW(I believe its SW for Alliance)

It would be nice to have a portal in Org/UC/SW/IF to their respective Northrend starting zone to avoid waiting on the zep/boat, but I don't expect that to happen.