Thread: Mastery Gems?

Deleted

Mastery Gems?

I used the search function, but didn't find anything.
    Will there be Mastery Gems in Cataclysm?

Thanks in advance

Quote Originally Posted by Teleth View Post
    I used the search function, but didn't find anything.
    Will there be Mastery Gems in Cataclysm?

Thanks in advance
    I know there is a +120 Mastery engineering 'gem', but I dont know about a regular gem cut.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelticfox View Post
    I know there is a +120 Mastery engineering 'gem', but I dont know about a regular gem cut.
    Is it an actual gem? That you socket into your gear?

Home Page - Cata Menu - Jewelcrafting

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ting-Cataclysm

Check for yourself.

Hint: Fractured.

Took 2 minutes.

Quote Originally Posted by rolecks View Post
    I think I should be able to fly anywhere I want. I mean ffs I'm riding around on the skeleton of a giant fire-breathing dragon and I'm wielding a legendary weapon that destroyed the Lich King, but if I want to take a trip to Thunder Bluff I gotta wait for the public bus while some level 5 /pokes the shit outta me.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Notmagnik View Post
    Home Page - Cata Menu - Jewelcrafting

http://www.mmo-champion.com/content/...ting-Cataclysm

Check for yourself.

Hint: Fractured.

Took 2 minutes.
    Thank you very much

Are other professions also going to be able to give mastery bonuses? (Engineering doesn't count, as that cog is in place of actual stats on the item.)

If not, I can easily see JC/BS once again being the premiere raiding profession combo, at least for classes that benefit greatly from and stack mastery.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    If not, I can easily see JC/BS once again being the premiere raiding profession combo, at least for classes that benefit greatly from and stack mastery.
    I think that JC/BS will always be the best combo in terms of options.

You can stack mastery or crit or haste or stamina or dodge or parry or expertise or agility or whatever the heck you want with JC/BS.

The other professions are very limited in what bonus they get, but sometimes they have better options. For example, JC/LW was +2 stamina better than JC/BS for Tanks.

Quote Originally Posted by dcemuser View Post
    The other professions are very limited in what bonus they get, but sometimes they have better options. For example, JC/LW was +2 stamina better than JC/BS for Tanks.
    Also LW allowed you to get +resist enchants. The frost resist one was particularly useful for heroic Sindragosa. But yes, in general I agree.

Quote Originally Posted by Stevoman View Post
    Are other professions also going to be able to give mastery bonuses? (Engineering doesn't count, as that cog is in place of actual stats on the item.)

From what I have seen of ratings conversions at level 85 nobody will stack mastery, haste or crit. All DPS will stack Int/Agi/Strength. Healers may go for Spirit or Int. Tanks will still stack Stam.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    From what I have seen of ratings conversions at level 85 nobody will stack mastery, haste or crit. All DPS will stack Int/Agi/Strength. Healers may go for Spirit or Int. Tanks will still stack Stam.
    Primary stats they may (excluding Spirit, which is "secondary" now, hence why you can reforge for it), but that doesn't make them the rule.

Tanks who just gemstack stamina, will be mana-sponges, in a world where healer mana matters. Sounds like a bad idea. And yet, look at what other stats do!

(Not including block, cause you can't gem it directly, it's gemmed for via Mastery)
    Dodge - Reduces chance to be hit entirely (Scales off Agility as well)
    Parry - Reduces chance to be hit entirely (Scales off Strength for all applicable classes now, not just DKs, and had it's value/DR put close to/in line with Dodge's)
    Mastery - Increase block chance significantly (Paladin, as boring as it is) - 30% Reduction on block
    Increase block and critical block chance (Warriors) - 30%/60% Reduction on block
    Increases % of Death Strike Healing turned to Life Shield (DKs)
    Increases % of Savage Defense's shield overall (Druid, but sadly, only physical damage)

And let's not forget Hit and Expertise, to ensure proper threat generation.

If any tank stacks Mastery a bit, I can see it being the DKs. Unlike the Druid shield that only absorbs physical damage, the DK one is physical and magical, and it's on-demand, unlike all the other masteries, which are just dice roll.

Paladins won't go too nuts, cause Mastery is a flat 20% with 0 Mastery, on top of 15% from Holy Shield, making 35% block chance just standing there. Warriors is a similar deal, until they re-balance how much Crit Block vs Block their mastery gives (something GC said they would look into). Druids will likely have more, due to a lack of options (Dodge, Stam, Mastery), though Stamina will always show higher on them.

Any Tank who spends every gem on Stamina, is clearly thinking "I will have all the Hit in the world, all the Expertise I need and more, all the Dodge/Parry/Mastery I will ever want, just on my gear!" is gonna be sorely mistaken. Avoidance stats help healer mana, Stamina doesn't.
    Last edited by ZeroEdgeir; 2010-09-30 at 03:06 PM.

lol no im pretty sure id do int/mastery gems or mastery/crit, especially for fire mage mastery
    Robot #1: Administer the test.
    Robot #2: Which of the following would you most prefer? A: a puppy, B: a pretty flower from your sweetie, or C: a large properly formatted data file?
    Robot #1: Choose!
    Fry: Uh, is the puppy mechanical in any way?
    Robot #2: No, it is the bad kind of puppy.
    Leela: Then we'll go with that data file!
    Robot #2: Correct!
    Robot #1: The flower would also have been acceptable.

I assure you haste is not beating str for ret. Maybe in later raids when we can get cs to a 3second cd, but we can't yet so it's a piss poor stat again. Mastery may trump str, but with ret number still complety untouched that can't be theorycrafted yet.
    Pondering returning.
    Nikoll - Retribution Paladin

Quote Originally Posted by ZeroEdgeir View Post
    Primary stats they may (excluding Spirit, which is "secondary" now, hence why you can reforge for it), but that doesn't make them the rule.

Tanks who just gemstack stamina, will be mana-sponges, in a world where healer mana matters. Sounds like a bad idea. And yet, look at what other stats do!

(Not including block, cause you can't gem it directly, it's gemmed for via Mastery)
    Dodge - Reduces chance to be hit entirely (Scales off Agility as well)
    Parry - Reduces chance to be hit entirely (Scales off Strength for all applicable classes now, not just DKs, and had it's value/DR put close to/in line with Dodge's)
    Mastery - Increase block chance significantly (Paladin, as boring as it is) - 30% Reduction on block
    Increase block and critical block chance (Warriors) - 30%/60% Reduction on block
    Increases % of Death Strike Healing turned to Life Shield (DKs)
    Increases % of Savage Defense's shield overall (Druid, but sadly, only physical damage)

And let's not forget Hit and Expertise, to ensure proper threat generation.

If any tank stacks Mastery a bit, I can see it being the DKs. Unlike the Druid shield that only absorbs physical damage, the DK one is physical and magical, and it's on-demand, unlike all the other masteries, which are just dice roll.

Paladins won't go too nuts, cause Mastery is a flat 20% with 0 Mastery, on top of 15% from Holy Shield, making 35% block chance just standing there. Warriors is a similar deal, until they re-balance how much Crit Block vs Block their mastery gives (something GC said they would look into). Druids will likely have more, due to a lack of options (Dodge, Stam, Mastery), though Stamina will always show higher on them.

Any Tank who spends every gem on Stamina, is clearly thinking "I will have all the Hit in the world, all the Expertise I need and more, all the Dodge/Parry/Mastery I will ever want, just on my gear!" is gonna be sorely mistaken. Avoidance stats help healer mana, Stamina doesn't.
    Have you seen the ratings conversions or the amounts of stats on gear? In Cata just as in Wrath you'll be 1/3 of the way to the DR caps on avoidance by the time you have a complete set of tanking gear, at that point gemming for avoidance is a terrible idea. I'm not saying avoidance on gear is a waste, I'm saying that in Cata, as in BC and Wrath, you get avoidance from gear and you gem for stamina. Even GC said he still expects tanks to gem for stamina. I find it hard to believe that the new tanking philosophy will require tanks to be hit or expertise capped, since tanks have never bothered before now.

Best you can really hope for is that it becomes acceptable to match sockets with hit/expertise/avoidance.
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

+67 mastery? seems a little random to me. I thought it would go x2 from Wotlk, seeing as BC went 10 -> 20, i assumed 40.
    Quote Originally Posted by Imnick View Post
    You do know what islands in the ocean do right?
    They float
    true story

Tanks needed to be pretty much exp soft capped before icc when parry haste mattered alot,and hit is still a very good stat for everybody,we'll have to see if raid bosses will have parry haste in cata. As for rogues,baring mastery, agi will usually go into red socket,haste or agi/haste into yellow and prolly hit in blue. Because of how haste is giving resources to most physical dps classes, it will be a good idea to gem for it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rocketfeller View Post
    Mastery is still being balanced for most classes. And haste is actually one of the stronger stats now, at least for melee dps, edging out STR in most cases.
    I'd love to see some justification for this. Currently only a few classes care for haste at all, and they will be reverting the Ulduar boost to haste. At 85 it takes 130 haste rating to get 1% haste. Based off a quick estimation from the epic gear posted on the front page a ST based class can expect about 4500 strength from gear, meaning less than 50 strength will increase your AP by 1%. So for a warrior 130 haste rating gives 1% more rage and 1% more white damage, so effectively less than 1% more total damage (some abilties have cooldowns). An equivalent amount of Strength gives over 2% more AP in raid gear, using the old raiding ROT that 2/3 of weapon damage comes from AP this gives about 1.5% more total damage.

Quote Originally Posted by Fornaw View Post
    No doubt. Blizzard isn't going to go through all the trouble of removing ArPen to then recreate the same problem with Mastery. Although, when 4.0.1 hits some of our gear might not have much mastery, so we might gem for a bunch of it.