Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Cata keybindings

I've been wondering what the situation is in cata. I already have pretty much every key I feel comfortable using bound which at the moment is around 26 keys. I notice in cata they've added a few spells or changed a few spells making it necessary to have other spells bound. I'm not actually sure where I'm going to put them/how I'm going to press them. Has anyone got any enlightenment? Is there that many more spells? Has the whole thing gotten way to complicated ? :P

Change your basic WASD to ESDF, giving you another whole column of keys to bind modifiers to. Depending on the size of your keyboard, this would increase your left hand's comfortable reach from TGB to YHN or UJM, and you can play around with Shift/Control/Alt modifiers.

Thanks but was more wondering if that would actually be necessary at all :P

Already using ctrl/shift modifiers.

15+ Year Old Account
    26 isn't that much
    use modifiers
    gaming mouse/keyboard with extra buttons
    mousewheel (up/down and click, with modifiers)

maybe post what keys you are using now

I've been wondering this as well, I recently grabbed a G13 and have been working on getting used to it, but i'm torn between putting forward/back/strafe l-r on the buttons or the joystick. The former i'm more comfortable with but leaves me with much less buttons, however I could move some modifiers to the joystick and have a pretty easy access to those. Just would have to get used to that.
    [110][110][110][110][110][110][100][90][90][85][59][70]

Is there that many more spells? Has the whole thing gotten way to complicated ?

1 = Life tap
    2 = Haunt
    3 = Unstable affliction
    4 = Shadowbolt
    5 = Curse of agony
    6 = Drain soul
    q = Soulshatter
    e = Corruption
    r = Seed of corruption
    t = Rain of fire
    f = Death coil
    shift+1 = Rank 1 lifetap
    shift+2 = Curse of elements
    shift+3 = Curse of doom
    shift+4 = Fear
    shift+q = Bloodfury
    shift+e = Hyperspeed Accelerators
    shift+r = Demonic circle summon
    shift+f = Demonic circle teleport
    shift+t = BANISHHH
    ctrl+1 = Pet goes in
    ctrl+2 = Pet goes out
    ctrl+3 = Pet stays!
    ctrl+8 = Pet passive ( Most commonly used )
    ctrl+9 = Pet defensive
    ctrl+0 = Pet aggro

That's most, few missing.
    Last edited by Dejin; 2010-10-01 at 03:02 PM. Reason: keubinds

Deleted
    Prioritise, and streamline!

I don't think I play any spec with more than about 20 bindings, and the majority of those I won't use often. You can presumably scrap any spells which aren't used in combat, since they can be clicked or toggled with opie or something. You can macro multiple abilities to one bind where appropriate.

That may not be very useful to you. What you like to have bound is a matter of preference, but I'd be surprised if you can't fit everything you need for combat into less keybinds than you currently use.

15+ Year Old Account
    shift mousewheel up/down/click
    ctrl mousewheel up/down/click

there's 6

Just a thought, you could add shift+z, shift+x, and shift+c, all easily reached keybinds.

I use.
    `1234qerfzxcv
    Shift+`1234qerfzxcv
    Ctrl+`1234qerfzxcv

Anyone else use a G13?
    [110][110][110][110][110][110][100][90][90][85][59][70]

15+ Year Old Account
    I have a G13 but none of the keys are bound.
    I should fix that.

R.I.P. YARG

ive heard of down ranking spells, but i dont play a lock, what is the benifit of rank 1 lifetap over top rank lifetap?

Quote Originally Posted by gherkin View Post
    I have a G13 but none of the keys are bound.
    I should fix that.
    yes, you should.

There are several situational spells that you can keep unbound and switch around considering the situation.

Besides one can get really fast with a mouse as well, just bind them according to how it feels best to you, and based on how you work your UI and place those keys on easily accessible places based on how you use your mouse to turn the camera etc, if you usually "lock" it in the middle, or the side etc.

The whole using esdf instead of wasd is something quite simple that gives you extra keys right away, you can also play with changing bars according to who you are facing and so on.
    "I think some of our best class designs come out when a mediocre player can get X performance out of the class with a simple rotation, but an exceptional players can coax slightly > X damage by doing a more complex rotation." - Ghostcrawler
    Its official, there is no skill in wow nor is it designed to require it, stop wasting time reading/making guides and just face-roll, you will just do "slightly" less dps.

Quote Originally Posted by Dejin View Post
    Is there that many more spells? Has the whole thing gotten way to complicated ?

1 = Life tap
    2 = Haunt
    3 = Unstable affliction
    4 = Shadowbolt
    5 = Curse of agony
    6 = Drain soul
    q = Soulshatter
    e = Corruption
    r = Seed of corruption
    t = Rain of fire
    f = Death coil
    shift+1 = Rank 1 lifetap
    shift+2 = Curse of elements
    shift+3 = Curse of doom
    shift+4 = Fear
    shift+q = Bloodfury
    shift+e = Hyperspeed Accelerators
    shift+r = Demonic circle summon
    shift+f = Demonic circle teleport
    shift+t = BANISHHH
    ctrl+1 = Pet goes in
    ctrl+2 = Pet goes out
    ctrl+3 = Pet stays!
    ctrl+8 = Pet passive ( Most commonly used )
    ctrl+9 = Pet defensive
    ctrl+0 = Pet aggro

That's most, few missing.
    Well you won't need rank 1 lifetap anymore. Also why not macro hyperspeed accelerators and bloodfury together? Gives you the most benefit out of them both. Also you can use your (`) key I find that one pretty convenient for some spells. I use my function keys and I have z x and c bound as well.

---------- Post added 2010-10-01 at 03:51 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by killerchicken View Post
    ive heard of down ranking spells, but i dont play a lock, what is the benifit of rank 1 lifetap over top rank lifetap?
    Takes less of your health.
    Quote Originally Posted by Nymrohd View Post
    I pity people who have gotten so insensate to disrespect and abuse from repetition that they have elevated being jaded to a virtue.

Deleted
    I wrote keybinding guide but it's in Polish and due to admins moving servers it lost its pictures

Anyways here's a tip from the PRO [me]:

Program your mouse's side buttons to act like Shift[1st button] and Control [2nd button].
    With this you can make many many morekeybindings while they are still easy to reach all over your keyboard without the need of pressing shift or control on keyboard. IT requires some adapting but is very rewarding. In this way Ctrl+T is actually easy to do since you just press mouse button acting like control and press on keyboard "t"

I got 64 keybinds [including macros] which i use actively

Quote Originally Posted by Killyox View Post
    I wrote keybinding guide but it's in Polish and due to admins moving servers it lost its pictures

Anyways here's a tip from the PRO [me]:

Program your mouse's side buttons to act like Shift[1st button] and Control [2nd button].
    With this you can make many many morekeybindings while they are still easy to reach all over your keyboard without the need of pressing shift or control on keyboard. IT requires some adapting but is very rewarding. In this way Ctrl+T is actually easy to do since you just press mouse button acting like control and press on keyboard "t"

I got 64 keybinds [including macros] which i use actively
    That is indeed an excellent idea i guess
    "I think some of our best class designs come out when a mediocre player can get X performance out of the class with a simple rotation, but an exceptional players can coax slightly > X damage by doing a more complex rotation." - Ghostcrawler
    Its official, there is no skill in wow nor is it designed to require it, stop wasting time reading/making guides and just face-roll, you will just do "slightly" less dps.

Heres a great one noone seems to think of or atleast mention, Shift + WASD

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by lexaqua View Post
    Heres a great one noone seems to think of or atleast mention, Shift + WASD
    I use them with method i described above, but sometimes you want to move AND cast certain spells and because of that:

Shift + wasd is good for stuff like summoning pet, spells with cast times, buffs like fel armor sometimes, but in pvp youll be switching them thus maybe create healthstone etc