Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    It's a good idea, but I don't think people would like having their epeen removed.

15+ Year Old Account
    Sadly, i do take people post count into account a bit. Generally, if someone has accumulated a high amount of posts, they have made a impact on the community. They likely have a avatar, signature, and has made many threads and i honor these things as opposed to someone with no avatar or signature, it seems bland without those things and i tend to value people who i think have made a impact on the community.

Though, if someone without a sig/avatar makes a great, valid and important point, all bets are off. A good post is a good post.

The post count as a mechanism for restrictions I agree with, but I am not sure if the numbers will hold any actual meaning most of the time.
    I have seen perfectly helpful messages or links from pretty new or first-time posters criticised due to an assumption that a high post counts makes what someone says more valid.
    A contribution is a contribution, and everyone has to start somewhere.
    We all had to work towards that 10 post limit at some point before we could post a link.

The only number that counts is 10, so you can post links. Other than that it's only what the community thinks of you. You can have 6000 posts, but if your class forums view you as "that idiot who just posts a lot" it's not really any indication of accomplishment. I don't see a problem with post counts.

10+ Year Old Account
    Some people are like "Rof rof rof I has big count of posts so I is good like that. You have 11 rof rof rof you are sucky mmmo-championer". In my mind, that is.
    Varian: Look, I didn't touch your gunship, okay!
    Garrosh: I witnessed, with my eyes, your TESTICLES on my gunship!
    -Argent_Captain

15+ Year Old Account
    I've seen people with post count 3 giving the best information/feedback to be found on mmo-champion though.
    However, post count does indicate somebody's activity, which can be useful.
    Dawwwwwww

Quote Originally Posted by Lopiak View Post
    Maybe trade the post count system for a +rep thing. Were people can rep other people for good posts. Alternatively just keep / remove the post count system.
    Please no, it's bad enough being called a troll because someone disagrees with you, don't need that system to get abused too.
    Actually, Mr. Lennon, I CAN imagine a world with no hatred, religion, war, or violence.
    I can also imagine attacking such a world, because they would never see it coming.

http://mhkeehn.tripod.com/trashcan.jpg
    http://politicalhumor.about.com/libr...s/carville.jpe

For once, Carville was a man ahead of his time.

<<<speechless

I'd like to hear Boub's opinion on this.
    Off-topic forums are common, hell Elitist Jerks has one (to donators only, they are elitist lol),
    so perhaps say why mmo-c doesn't have one already
    My guild <Rollin Deep> - See one of these guys? Run. Else you will die.

15+ Year Old Account
    Boub has more pressing matters at the moment (Dodging fans at Blizzcon, Dodging Blizzard's Hitman, Dodging the leaders of Curse cause they want to hug Boub).
    So I'm afraid you won't get an answer from Boub anytime soon
    Dawwwwwww

Or the mods could make an off topic forum where posting does not increase you main post count but a separate counter called off topic posts below the regular posts.

15+ Year Old Account
    I figure post count is a good indicator of forum activity.

I also don't believe (as someone said) that it means you've got away with trolling the forums for 1000 posts. We have a very dedicated community when it comes to reporting people who break our forum guidelines.

I think we should get MORE stuff to unlock with post counts! (muahaha).. I remember back when I used the Nintendo forums.. you'd unlock special avatars and stuff with your post count. :P

As far as a real off-topic forum goes.. man oh man.. We'd need not only a super mod but a Super Saiyan Mod for that place..

15+ Year Old Account
    What? Haven't you guys heard?

The Cataclysm General forums are the new offtopic forums.

Questions about the Blizzcon Stream? Cataclysm General
    Have an Inscription question? Cataclysm General
    Want to make the 50683rd thread on Horde favoritism? Cataclysm General
    Want to talk about battlegrounds? Cataclysm General
    Time of the week to talk about how Vanilla > EVERYTHING EVER? Cataclysm General
    Stepped on your cat's foot on accident? Cataclysm General

It makes me sadface.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Baabinator View Post
    If it where removed i would be perfectly fine with it.

Post count just shows you usually have more experience WITH THIS PARTICULAR FORUM. And as you said, means nothing. Since even a person who has seen everything can still be tard.
    The chances of being a tard with 1000 posts is extremely slim. People usually don't hang around to be dicks for months and months on the same board, and even if they ARE dickish, they know what they are talking about to some degree but just aren't nice about it. This is just from my personal experience on this particular set of forums so far.

I've seen higher quality posts from people with more posts for the most part. Of course there are a few bad apples everywhere, still, I don't think post counts are absolutely 100% worthless, nor are they some end be all measurement of knowledge. In the end, it really doesn't matter because even without the count, the people who like to help out and post well constructed responses will continue to do so and those who like to be dicks and type whatever they want/1 word responses will do the same.
    Last edited by G l o w y r m; 2010-10-23 at 05:04 AM.

EX - <PIE CHART> US TOP 10 Check 'em out http://piechart-guild.com/

I like pantsuits?

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by glowyrm View Post
    The chances of being a tard with 1000 posts is extremely slim. People usually don't hang around to be dicks for months and months on the same board, and even if they ARE dickish, they know what they are talking about to some degree but just aren't nice about it. This is just from my personal experience on this particular set of forums so far.

I've seen higher quality posts from people with more posts for the most part. Of course there are a few bad apples everywhere, still, I don't think post counts are absolutely 100% worthless, nor are they some end be all measurement of knowledge. In the end, it really doesn't matter because even without the count, the people who like to help out and post well constructed responses will continue to do so and those who like to be dicks and type whatever they want/1 word responses will do the same.
    So what you're saying is - post count is like Gearscore.

Somebody with a higher post count will -usually- be a better post than somebody with a low post count, but sometimes those low post count people will be exceptionally skilled and surprise you?
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

10+ Year Old Account
    a "real" off-topic forum section would have to be heavily moderated to avoid biggatry, faggatry, and douchebaggery from ruling it.

Quote Originally Posted by Rakeer View Post
    a "real" off-topic forum section would have to be heavily moderated to avoid biggatry, faggatry, and douchebaggery from ruling it.
    MMO-C already has strict rules about politics and religion, so that knocks out almost all bigotry. I don't see anything wrong with college football threads and the like, and it actually has a lot of potential to help people in school with specific problems that they can't simply find as easily on google....and a lot of other stuff too. It would take a little way to see it shape out, but not having it restricted to just music or tv or other games would certainly open up some new doors.

Herald of the Titans Baabinator's Avatar
    15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bahumut5 View Post
    Boub has more pressing matters at the moment (Dodging fans at Blizzcon, Dodging Blizzard's Hitman, Dodging the leaders of Curse cause they want to hug Boub).
    So I'm afraid you won't get an answer from Boub anytime soon
    He must be a bear tank with all that dodging.
    Scars show you the remnants and failures of the past.

~¡¡¡!!!AND FOR THE LOVE OF GOD, STOP ASKING ABOUT MY AVATAR, I DON'T KNOW!!!¡¡¡~

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by BagOfChips View Post
    Oh there's a post count on this forum?
    Lol, I only found this out a few days ago!