Poll: What is your "Addon of WOTLK?"

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst
    10+ Year Old Account
    I think the popcap games addons were the best but I guess going with the poll I'd have to say gearscore. Even though ppl were using the addon the wrong way, it was fun to be able to compete with guildies and have another way to watch your gear progress further through a score, it was awesome everytime you got 4,000, 5,000, or 6,000 gearscore

Unfortunatly, Gearscore has been ingame since TBC.

As has bejeweled and Peggle

Please add a useful add-on to the poll so I can vote for something.
    Quote Originally Posted by -Rain View Post
    a girl can dream, can't he?

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Sorry to say it, but Wrath didn't fail in the slightest. Nearly 100% of the playerbase got to at least see the LK fight, and nearly that much was able to kill him. How can you honestly say that is a failure? The ability to pug raids is what allowed this to happen, and the ability to determine the gear of someone is what made the pugs able to be succesful. I don't care what you say, but if you went into ICC10 with everyone in 4500gs, you weren't even going to be able to kill Marrowgar, and this is because the lack of skill of the average wow player is so low, that higher GS requirements were required to compensate for that badness. Blame the poor playing ability of the WoW playerbase, and not the addon, because that is what made pugs fail.
    Nearly 100%, eh? Is that one of the 86% of statistics people make up on the spot?

On topic: GS sucks, I stopped using it once I reached 5.8k which allowed me into pretty much any pug... I have to agree that DXE is pretty damn good. ForteXorcist is pretty damned cool, but Power Auras is still my favourite by a long shot...

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    Sorry to say it, but Wrath didn't fail in the slightest. Nearly 100% of the playerbase got to at least see the LK fight, and nearly that much was able to kill him.
    50-60% (based off actual numbers from WoWprogress and GuildOx) doesn't even remotely equal "nearly 100%." And even at 50-60%.. so what? At the cost of what? Gearscore did far more harm than good for server communities.

Either way and on topic, I did vote for Gearscore. For good or for bad, it was definitely the most talked about addon of the expansion.

When victory seems worth any sacrifice,
    there is a price to be paid for such a gift

Forum Guidelines | Signature Restrictions

10+ Year Old Account
    Imo they both had a major negative impact on the player base. AVR allowed players to navigate boss fights without even thinking and I'm not even going to start on gearscore

AVR:E was pretty funny..'Heres where the ooze is going to land! DONT STAND THERE'..my favorite.

Deleted
    GS ruined alot for random groups in wrath imo.. so im gonan vote for the other one

(btw now the interface tells you your avg itemlevel.. so you dont need gs anymore!')

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Nioxic View Post
    GS ruined alot for random groups in wrath imo.. so im gonan vote for the other one

(btw now the interface tells you your avg itemlevel.. so you dont need gs anymore!')
    Sort of. Average ilevel actually calculates the average best of what's in your bags for each slot, not what you're wearing like gearscore. So if you're a feral druid and you have a random 277 caster staff in your bag, it'll actually bump up your rating.

Gearscore has definitely been the most talked about addon of the expansion, for better or worse, because it's brought to attention the whole "gear vs skill" debate and given it a number. Gear definitely makes you better at what you do, but it's no substitute for knowing your class well, knowing your rotation and utility, speccing correctly, gemming correctly, experience with the fights and et cetera. I remember topping the DPS charts when gearing up my Muti rogue in an ICC pug a couple of months back, I had no achievements to show for my name and only like 4900 gearscore. Go figure.

This is why the guild environment will always prosper in terms of progression - you can judge people based on metrics other than gear alone. We tend to recruit people to our guild based on attitude and communication more than anything specifically WoW related - although we do obviously inspect their armoury (more for gem slots and enchants rather than actual level) and expect them to know their class well, and tend to even use application threads on the forums as an excuse to discuss a class.

As for best addons of the expansion, I agree with several of the posters in this thread that DXE is the best boss related mod. I've also found massive use for HUDmap, which absolutely owns for fights where you have hazy or spontaneous positioning (Blood Council, defiles on LK). Addon Control Panel, previously mentioned, is also awesome if you use a lot of addons. And Mr Plow, because uh, I have messy bags and it does a simple job well.

WOW GS got it like that wasn't going to be a hands down on that
    "I have been to a place where Love and Pain are one.... Where dancers Glide and Masks hide...."

Quote Originally Posted by Vasher View Post
    Nearly 100%, eh? Is that one of the 86% of statistics people make up on the spot?

On topic: GS sucks, I stopped using it once I reached 5.8k which allowed me into pretty much any pug... I have to agree that DXE is pretty damn good. ForteXorcist is pretty damned cool, but Power Auras is still my favourite by a long shot...
    Yes, it is. Fewer than 1 in 5 people have even seen the Lich King on 25 man, and barely more than half have on 10 (including how many guilds that do 10s as a joke raid on offnights?).

It reminds me of the latest "even heroic ICC is a joke with 30%" crying I see everywhere. 3% of all guilds have 11/12 done, and that number goes WAY down for 12/12. 0-3% of all people having completed the same encounters as you and you STILL aren't happy with how exclusive the fights are? Nothing has changed since Sunwell, except people's attitudes. When 3% of all guilds had 5/6 in SWP down, it was the best raid instance ever.
    Last edited by Lysah; 2010-10-19 at 01:43 AM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Gonna vote for GearScore on this one, purely for the controversy it stirred.

Gearscore is the Michael Jackson of addons.

If this is about, which is the most well known, gearscore wins by light years.