Page 16 of 26 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Last time I checked, wow has 3 roles: tank, healer and dps. It really does not matter if you can "tank" now in current heroics. I mean come on, we play with other players who choose they're role for a reason. It's not fun when you sign for a dungeon as tank and get dps running about pulling before tank. That part is one reason people are tank - to charge in first and take control over the situation. You don't play with autobots, but with humans.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Junlee View Post
    10k dps > (6k dps + 2k dps) when thinking about the group as a whole. :P

Hunter should have figured out how to play his class before stepping into a heroic. That's what normal dungeons/forums/dummies are for.
    If that hunter is still in blues then it's understandable he's still doing about 2k dps. Hitting 80 and being tossed into a heroic doesn't magically make your DPS in the 6k range, and neither does knowing how to play your class.

So...does anyone else remember tanking in vanilla? Yeah, after a bit of gear, we 2h tanked dungeons with a 31/5/15 spec (as warriors I mean). "Real men tank with 2handers."

No problem paradigm breaking. But just "helping" without communicating is kinda arrogant.

Quote Originally Posted by Blutelf View Post
    Let me add that yes I have tanked before and yes I do realize how frustrating that can be. Some of my guild friends complain to me all the time about how they "can't hold aggro!" and I always tell them to just control the rest of the pack. And I really do think this is the correct answer. It's about control, and if ignoring the skull helps the group proceed faster and just as safe, then you guys should just go for it.
    If you were in my guild and we had worked this out ahead of time, I would be perfectly okay with it. If you were some random PUG doing this, I would have a problem. I think that's what most people here are getting at. This behavior is fine provided everyone agrees to it ahead of time.

Quote Originally Posted by Ailthas View Post
    If that hunter is still in blues then it's understandable he's still doing about 2k dps. Hitting 80 and being tossed into a heroic doesn't magically make your DPS in the 6k range, and neither does knowing how to play your class.
    For the most part, you're not going to get into Heroic FoS without feigning your GS to get passed the minimal requirements. (I think it's 3k+? 3.5k+ for HoR?) Unfortunately it's easy to do with PvP gear.

Noone expects 6k dps from a fresh 80.
    I do expect more than 1800dps from a fresh 80 who queue'd for heroics. Even more now considering the 4.0.1 changes.

Hell, recently dinged Mages in ilvl 171 gear are pulling 3-4k dps easily.
    Last edited by Junlee; 2010-11-02 at 10:31 PM.

Meant to point out that there are like 5 diff conversations going on with people not really reading what others are writing.

Tanking as a tank in dps gear/spec is fine as long as you and your healer can control the situation.

Random dpser who ISN'T the tank "helping" the tank pull faster = possible loss of control (who is to say your confidence isn't overconfidence?) and a repair. I'm used to plate repairs, so the tears of the clothies and such amuse me. But I'm sure our other group members won't be amused at your antics.

Now...if you're one of those classes that can solo a heroic, by all means do what you want. But it's not really faster if you have to heal yoruself, get a bit of spell pushback and whatnot.

10+ Year Old Account
    one word TANK <<<<<

the tank is responsible for the speed a dungeon is ran at not you as DPS.
    When i tank i dont mind it if a good geared dps pulls aggro of me from 1 or 2 mobs but if you go and pull packs im gonna say GL and enjoy.

I haven't read this whole thread, but basically, this is my frame of mind on my main, a warrior tank.

1) If a dps pulls ahead of me, his job to tank it, and I'll have zero problem picking them up because I am watching them, along with the ~4-10 groups I already pulled. I adapt to my group and situations.

2) DPS tend not to be capable of pulling when I am running/strafing ahead of them, charging/intercepting when available, and pulling entire sections (and often bosses too) of heroics. As a note, I do have to make sure I let the healer stay in range. If the dps are anywhere close to as good as they think they are, half the mobs are dead by the time I stop moving, and the other half are at half health (or, in cases of particularly good dps, the above situation never occurs because they are all dead).

3) If I'm going slow enough that you can pull more mobs, and the healer is having minimal trouble keeping you alive, I'm not doing my job in making this run as fast as physically possible. Yes, tanks have more jobs than just controlling the mobs, we have to be efficient about it too.

4) About the only reason I think I would ever get irked at a dps is in the excessively rare event that they manage to wipe a group (rare when I'm tanking, I haven't had such a scenario occur in a bit over a year. Not even when the dps are purposefully trying to wipe the group).

5) In regards to people pulling off me during pulls, I will let them take mobs if I know they won't cause problems. I also let other warriors get aggro too, so they get more rage.

Quote Originally Posted by Kuruyami View Post
    I haven't read this whole thread, but basically, this is my frame of mind on my main, a warrior tank.

1) If a dps pulls ahead of me, his job to tank it, and I'll have zero problem picking them up because I am watching them, along with the ~4-10 groups I already pulled. I adapt to my group and situations.

2) DPS tend not to be capable of pulling when I am running/strafing ahead of them, charging/intercepting when available, and pulling entire sections (and often bosses too) of heroics. As a note, I do have to make sure I let the healer stay in range. If the dps are anywhere close to as good as they think they are, half the mobs are dead by the time I stop moving, and the other half are at half health (or, in cases of particularly good dps, the above situation never occurs because they are all dead).

3) If I'm going slow enough that you can pull more mobs, and the healer is having minimal trouble keeping you alive, I'm not doing my job in making this run as fast as physically possible. Yes, tanks have more jobs than just controlling the mobs, we have to be efficient about it too.

4) About the only reason I think I would ever get irked at a dps is in the excessively rare event that they manage to wipe a group (rare when I'm tanking, I haven't had such a scenario occur in a bit over a year. Not even when the dps are purposefully trying to wipe the group).

5) In regards to people pulling off me during pulls, I will let them take mobs if I know they won't cause problems. I also let other warriors get aggro too, so they get more rage.
    A natural tank appears.

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    So what am I saying here? You signed up to do a job in an instance, do the damn job you signed up for, or roll something to do the job you're taking from someone else. If you're not doing your job properly, I'll gladly let you take over my job as well, while I go browse online for some decent art.
    All I've been saying is... do your job well or prepare to be replaced by me.

When we run guild HCs, out of boredom, etc, we tend to simply not take a tank. Get a plate DPS to queue as a tank, and then go in, all DPSing.
    It makes HCs quicker, AND more fun!

Quote Originally Posted by Fleugen View Post
    Define 'well' and then we'll talk. Doing your job 'well' does not entail finishing an instance in less than 15 minutes. Tank means tank, which means keep mobs attacking you, not pull as much as you possibly can so DPS can watch their numbers go higher thanks to AoE. DPS means deal damage, which means deal damage and watch threat so you DON'T tank. Heal means heal, which means make sure the group isn't dying, which they shouldn't be if the tank is tanking and the dps aren't tanking.

The ball is in your court.
    When I'm a healer, I'll heal anyone who isn't at full health regardless of why they took damage.

When I'm a tank, I'll taunt any mob that is not targetting me, regardless of why they are not targetting me.

When I'm DPS'ing, I'll deal damage to any mob that is not targetting me, regardless of who it's targetting.

Pasted directly from my previous post. Ball never left your court.

When I'm a healer, I'll heal anyone who isn't at full health regardless of why they took damage.

When I'm a tank, I'll taunt any mob that is not targetting me, regardless of why they are not targetting me.

When I'm DPS'ing, I'll deal damage to any mob that is not targetting me, regardless of who it's targetting.

Pasted directly from my previous post. Ball never left your court.
    balls still in ur court m8 u should be killing that tanks target coz if u pull from the tank u aint doing u job as dps

Quote Originally Posted by thunderdragon2 View Post
    balls still in ur court m8 u should be killing that tanks target coz if u pull from the tank u aint doing u job as dps
    I'll kill a target if it's targetting the tank.
    I'll kill a target if it's targetting the healer.
    I'll kill a target if the mage pulled it with a 45k arcane blast.

Because it's going to die before it does any notable damage.

i hate when stupid warriors or pallys try to wipe me when I'm tanking on my ele shaman omg~.

Seriously though, at this point in the game if you're not chain pulling you're wasting everyones time, healers included.

I have to wait 10+ minutes for a queue to pop as dps (maybe 5 min as healer), you damn well better believe I'm going to try to run it as fast as humanly possible. All jokes aside, I can literally tank most heroics, and solo some as elemental. If you're going to get pissy, or just refuse to do anything and just sulk behind the healer, you should really ask yourself whose interests you have at heart, because it certainly isn't those of the group.

What everyone seems to be forgetting is that this is a game.

A Game you play with other people, meaning everyone should be able to enjoy it.

A DPS tanking everything is great, but its a kill-joy for the real tank.

I wonder, if 2 dps, a healer and the tank set a certain pace, what gives you the right to take that away from them. You think it's too slow-> leave.

Also, DPS=/do as much damage asap. Its doing a certain amount of damage without pulling aggro, which is harder than it sounds ey?

Play however you want with guildies, but please try to respect the fun of others. Not like 2-3 minutes extra on a 15 minute heroic is going to kill you.

I play a druid tank. Pretty good at it. I play heroics cause its fun, not cause I need them anymore.

If a DPS thinks he can do better, no hard feelings, I'll leave as they don't need me and there's 1000 other people queued waiting for a non-douchebag tank who I can help out.

As a healer, I usually just click healthbars and /care at whoever tanks what, but if a tank is seriously not having fun that way I'd rather boot the player not playing his class right (aggro-management IS part of a dps-role) then the person trying very hard. If nobody else cares, sure speed things up. Otherwise, just show some respect.

Finally, if I finish my instance with 3-100% mana, I'll heal the gdamn life-tapping lock. If I need to drink between pulls, then so does he. Tapping in a fight is fine, tapping when everyone is eating and waiting for me to fix it, not so much.

Ergo: Stop caring so much about your own private enjoyment and EPEEN, and just relax while running obsolete content.

I dps tank with my frost DK, i can't help generating so much aggro lol, and i can just pop IBF, nobody seems to mind, considering the fact that i usually pull 30%+ of overall damage :P

I'll kill a target if it's targetting the tank.
    I'll kill a target if it's targetting the healer.
    I'll kill a target if the mage pulled it with a 45k arcane blast.

Because it's going to die before it does any notable damage.
    still in ur court the job as dps is to nuke the mob asap ill give u that

but ur job IS to watch ur threat dont care if its a random hc or not ur 2 jobs as dps are

1. nuke mob(s)
    2.dont over agro the tank

back to u m8

if u cant learn to do the 2nd 1 ull hardly get any instances done in cata

Pulling things and keeping aggro is solely the tanks duty. dps is to do damage preferably to the tanks target. healers keep their team alive as long as things aren't too hectic. It's easier for the healer when the tanks the one taking main damage and not having dps pulling things and getting themself hurt and having to heal them as well. On my healer im very strict about roles... Often i run into a tank who damages easier. and then have mr. rogue mcuberleet over here pulling and taking damage even faster. it's annoying having to look after him as well. If your pulling guys on your own i would probably tell you leave it to the tank. and hit his target. Unless on rare occasions you get a paladin that knows what he's doing and doesn't take in as much damage as other tanks and its easier to heal.

---------- Post added 2010-11-02 at 11:07 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by gasattack23 View Post
    Pulling things and keeping aggro is solely the tanks duty. dps is to do damage preferably to the tanks target. healers keep their team alive as long as things aren't too hectic. It's easier for the healer when the tanks the one taking main damage and not having dps pulling things and getting themself hurt and having to heal them as well. On my healer im very strict about roles... Often i run into a tank who damages easier. and then have mr. rogue mcuberleet over here pulling and taking damage even faster. it's annoying having to look after him as well. If your pulling guys on your own i would probably tell you leave it to the tank. and hit his target. Unless on rare occasions you get a paladin that knows what he's doing and doesn't take in as much damage as other tanks and its easier to heal.
    If your pulling something off the healer or a dps who takes damage quicker then by all means do it.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Astemus View Post
    You are taking away his job by being a jerk and pulling ahead. How would you like it if, as enhancement, the tank ran with the mobs the whole instance keeping them just out of melee range? It would suck having someone make your job 10x harder wouldn't it?
    ^^ This

If you really think all goes to slow, roll a tank yourself if you enjoy it that much? You'll understand how fucking annoying your actions were when pulling ahead...