Advice on upgrading my PC

My current specs are
    CPU:AMD Phenom II X4 (2.66GHz)
    RAM:8 Gigs
    Graphics Card: ATI Radeon 4550
    Windows 64
    1920x1200 Resolution monitor
    I currently run WoW on Fair at a constant 60 fps
    I am currently planning to upgrade my graphics card to what i am looking for reccomendations, and should i only upgrade my graphics card is my CPU still good for the times. My budet is around 200-300 for graphics card.

What type and wattage of PSU does your computer have or were you considering including that with your video upgrade?

Video is a Palit GTS450. Main display is a 24" full HD TV. Secondary display is an ACER 19" lcd at 1440x900.

I have no idea. My dad bought it about a 9 months ago and never used it so he gave it to me a few months ago.

15+ Year Old Account
    Somewhere on the psu I should have the specs written if you wanna open the case up and look. If you have no preference over cards, amd 6870 are the new cool thing ($240) but the nvidia gtx460 ($210) are slightly better in performance. Either of these options will be able to handle wow just fine though
    "I'm glad you play better than you read/post on forums." -Ninety
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Somewhere on the psu I should have the specs written if you wanna open the case up and look. If you have no preference over cards, amd 6870 are the new cool thing ($240) but the nvidia gtx460 ($210) are slightly better in performance. Either of these options will be able to handle wow just fine though
    Performance wise it's actually 6870 > 460 1GB> 6850 > 460 768MB, fyi. Though, any of them will eat this game, OP. (Not that there's anything wrong with your present card. Depending on your cash on hand I wouldn't even bother with the upgrade unless you need your Ultra 25 man raid settings.)
    Last edited by Ohyunori; 2010-11-08 at 01:33 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Whenever I post saying 460gtx I am referring to the superlocked model, that was my mistake for not posting that though

I hope you're kidding about the present card. He has a 4550...it is now two generations old. And a card designed for an htpc, not a gaming pc. The rest of his computer is very solid, he deserves a good card to go with it
    BF3 Profile | Steam Profile | Assemble a Computer in 9.75 Steps! | Video Rendering Done Right

I would definately upgrade the card, a very affordable upgrade is the Radeon HD 5770, it plays wow at full settings pretty much with 60 FPs as long as your CPU doesnt hold it back.

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-858-_-Product

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...-447-_-Product

Those are 2 very popular models i would recommend, xFx has a very nice warranty too iirc

Edit: Make sure you check the wattage on your PSU, 500 should be fine for these as long as you dont plan on going Crossfire or sli

Quote Originally Posted by llDemonll View Post
    Whenever I post saying 460gtx I am referring to the superlocked model, that was my mistake for not posting that though

I hope you're kidding about the present card. He has a 4550...it is now two generations old. And a card designed for an htpc, not a gaming pc. The rest of his computer is very solid, he deserves a good card to go with it
    Right, I misunderstood the OP somehow. Fucking slipping, I am. Thought he was 'asking' about an upgrade not committed to buying one... (As his card, while not optimal, can easily play this game at reasonable settings.) By all means. Go. Buy. Build up the economy.

To clarify, the EVGA 460GTX FTW version you're talking about that inches out the 6870 is $230.
    Last edited by Ohyunori; 2010-11-08 at 02:02 AM.

15+ Year Old Account

The highest clocked one of those is 'Superclocked EE' not FTW.

FTW is 850/1700

http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produc...82E16814130581

Deleted
    Budget wise, my AMD 5770 eats wow and all the other crap you throw at it just fine at Ultra 1920x1200