Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    10+ Year Old Account

Rare mount drops: Dreams do come true

Hello all. Much like a lot of other players, the quest for rare mount drops quickly became a little obsession for me a little over 6 months ago. At first I got a small group of like minded guildies together for these runs. Over the course of that time, not a single drop was to be had. Even on solo runs, all of our luck seemed no existant. Then, over the course of time, they started getting them. The raptor, tiger, deathchargers alike were all starting to fall for everyone in the group...everyone except me of course. As they were all showing off their various possessions, it was becoming clear that I was the problem all along. After all that time, I was the only one of the original mount farmers without a single drop. Over and over again I farmed, many different partners, and nothing. even in raids when a mount such as the Twilight drake would fall, my rolls were comically ridiculous. 4, 10, 2 and even a few 1's. I was starting to think Blizzard has put a hex on my account that forbid rare mounts from being dropped to me.

Fast forward now to exactly two weeks ago today. All the farming failures had all but killed my desire to go after them anymore. However, with the announcement that ZG was being removed from the game as a raid instance, I felt I should take my final failures at getting those pretty mounts. So, convincing my friend Scott, who has a solid dk tank, to take me in for these last goes at it. He was sympathetic to my bad luck and told me that any mount that dropped was mine. We began about a month earlier, runs here and there. I had finally gotten my own DK geared enough to solo ZG myself, but my priest is my main so I felt it fitting to try on her. So 2 weeks back, after many failuresat the Horseman's reins during Hallow's End, on about our 8th run at it, we are fighting the Bloodlord when he announces to me; "I can feel the mount drop honey" just as he is striking the last blows. I walk over, right click, and wouldn't you know, there was the Raptor. Holy sh!t! I yelled. After all this time, finally, the Gods have smiled upon me. I actually won one. Sure, a lot of other people I knew had it already but I didn't care.

With the raptor firmly in tow, I began to see what i could do with my new DK. With the win of one rare mount, the odds of winning another on my account weren't great I knew, but it was nice to be able to do these runs solo for a change and not get a charity boost. I spent the next little while doing daily Sethekk and Magister's runs with the predictable outcomes. Even a couple of Kara jaunts thrown in. No more mounts, but at least was getting to know the joy of melee. To add to this, I even tried with my warlock, now that patch 4.0.1 made it possible for them to solo places.

Which brings me to my miracle weekend. Late Saturday night, I got out the DK to make my nightly run in Sethekk. Same routine as usual, smash smash, kill kill. I get to Anzu once again, bobbing his fat head at me from his room. Daft Punk's Around the Wolrd comes on to the tv as I engage him. As he is dying, Scott's words from two weeks earlier fill me head, no joke; "I got a good feeling about this one" I think to myself. Anzu take his last squak, I right click and presto, reins of the Raven Lord. After only 10 runs, the bird is mine. Two rare mounts in two weeks? Wow, that's odd for me. But who am I to look a gift horse in the mouth. So I proudly show off my nw prize to guildies in Dalaran before calling it a day.

Sunday night. I get home from dinner at my friends house and decide to make a few mount runs to unwind. So I decide to take my warlock back to Magister's, seeing as how it went so well the first couple times through. Third time however, not so much. Vaxhallus proved much tougher this time around and not killing the mage lords in a few packs made for a loong run. After six wipes, I limped into the Kael fight swearing at my computer screen and thinking aloud "That mount better drop after the bullcrap in this run". As Kael died, I noticed how odd it was he keeled over face first this time, instead of the usual Blood Elf back gasp. Maybe is was a sign of...yep you guess it, White Hawkstrider. Hmm ok, that's three rare mounts in 8 days? Spread across three toons no less.

So once again, I am in Dalaran showing off another new mount to guildies. When Scott should appear online. "Wanna have some ZG fun?" he asks. So i log my priest again and off we go. This time I hope I can get him a raptor too. He unbelievably got me and another guildie of his raptor mounts in the span of a week, so he definatley deserved one of his own. Before we leave though, he notices his lock for Karazhan is over and recommends we stop there for a quick fight first. Not that there was any point, seeing as how the mount from there is as rare as a successful ICC pug, but I said sure why not and we were on our way. After a fiasco involving which of our toons had the key, we quickly disposed of the trash and made our way to that pretty horsie and his ugly master. Pew pew and the job is done. I waltz over to the corpse and loot, knowing the odds that this mount would drop just two hours after I got the Hawkstrider were slim to.....Fiery Warhorse's reins?! Are you serious! I literally had never seen that mount in game before, and now I owned it? Needless to say I was glad I logged on when I wasn't even sure I wanted to.

So there you go. The endless weeks I spent farming those things. Watching as all my friends rode them with pride. All the bad rolls and wasted hours looking for things like Time Lost. In eight magical days, Razzshari Raptor, Raven Lord, White Hawkstrider and Fiery Warhorse to a girl whose luck was as bad as anyone's. Keep going after them folks, miracles do happen!
    Have you hugged a Gnome today?

Deleted
    Amen.

---------- Post added 2010-11-08 at 01:17 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Zaquel View Post
    Wall of text crits me harder, then puberty crits Justin Bieber - over 9000 overkill..
    Its not a wall of text, you just fail at putting in any effort.

10+ Year Old Account
    WTB some of your luck... Grats though, I am 0 for a lot on the raptor.

Quote Originally Posted by bethofwow View Post
    ......to a girl whose luck was as bad as anyone's. Keep going after them folks, miracles do happen!
    Congrats sir, and I say sir because I did find one thing wrong with the story - GIRLS DON'T PLAY WOW!

Deleted
    miracles don't happens, lucky persons are lucky, nothing more, nice story and gz for your luck but i doesn't make me feel good after 3 years of zg farming without even seeing the tiger.

10+ Year Old Account
    I expected a "After 800 tries I finally got X mount! Keep trying everyone, dreams do come true!" post.. not a War and Peace sized post especially for a post that was written at 8:14 AM. o.O

First, big grats on your lucky week.

Second, you might want to put some thought into how drop mechanics work in the future lol. If you start chasing a rare mount that you can only get a shot at once a week/three days, you should realistically expect about a year to get it. Anything less is you getting lucky. Personally, I just stick to one character and focus on getting all the ones I want on that, instead of multiplying my time spent due to other characters. To each his (or her) own though.

Edit: To all the other posters, relax lol. She's clearly riding high on getting all the mounts, and you chose to read the giant wall of text, so it's pretty much your fault .

give me some luck of ya , i just need raven lord !!! xD (tired of farming it after 3 years)

Grats..

I stopped counting, and I only got the white hawkstrider.
    Quote Originally Posted by Milkcow View Post
    seems like your good old GM wanted to dip his sausage in the buttercup!
    Quote Originally Posted by Ewenastra View Post
    balance problems goes back to pacman

cmon, one pac man 4 ghosts? he had to take drugs to beat them

Quote Originally Posted by bethofwow View Post
    In eight magical days, Razzshari Raptor, Raven Lord, White Hawkstrider and Fiery Warhorse...
    This is what she said. Congrats!

10+ Year Old Account
    All I want from ZG is the Raptor mount (maybe Tiger if it drops) before it's removed, and I have gotten two of the 1 chance out of a thousand non combat pets... go figure.
    Quote Originally Posted by Scrod View Post
    Ok, I give up. This is pointless.
    Many Multitudes Online Constantly Harping About Minor Problems
    FIRE GIVES ME BIGGER BLOOD SHIELDS

That was a really good story lol. I wish I had some of that luck.

Why didn't you farm the tiger boss aswell? You didn't mention him at all in your story, maybe you'll be lucky again
    <;~~~~{] -____- )|:-~=(}

oh wow, I just got every mount you listed within 2 hours of each-other yesterday. My bro hates me so bad, despite him having 114 mounts.

Quote Originally Posted by Eike View Post
    miracles don't happens, lucky persons are lucky, nothing more, nice story and gz for your luck but i doesn't make me feel good after 3 years of zg farming without even seeing the tiger.
    This, this SOOOO much.

Usually it's the people that don't deserve that get it, like alts or something.
    Quote Originally Posted by kbarh View Post
    may i suggest you check out wowwiki or any similar site, it's Grom that orders the murder of Cairne

Nice read... I can find myself in that feeling of depraved fun when you loot that bird corpse and receive your 25th Talon of Anzu :P
    I hope your luck will continue in the future with new mounts and such!

Quote Originally Posted by Brudish View Post
    Anyone wanna summerise it for me pleaes?
    TL;DR:

So there you go. The endless weeks I spent farming those things. Watching as all my friends rode them with pride. All the bad rolls and wasted hours looking for things like Time Lost. In eight magical days, Razzshari Raptor, Raven Lord, White Hawkstrider and Fiery Warhorse to a girl whose luck was as bad as anyone's. Keep going after them folks, miracles do happen!

Deleted
    @OP: if those guildies were really guildies and saw you never had any mount while all the other got at least one, they wouldn't let you roll, they would just give the mount directly to you.

love this thread^^

especially because i got a similar trend for my drops, nothing for ages then in a couple of days got magical crawdad + firefly.

then farmed all 4 chromatic whelplings, and best of the best, anzu + swh + DISGUSTING OOZELING all in the same night.

i expect to die soon for compensation rofl.

edit: im running for "treasure" now (obvious reference^^)

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Moovin View Post
    Congrats sir, and I say sir because I did find one thing wrong with the story - GIRLS DON'T PLAY WOW!
    Better go tell my wife to cancel her subscription... damn, I had no idea, you are so clever, congratulations. Thank you for providing this essential, and in no way horseshit, information.

OT: Grats OP, I'm still waiting for my Anzu and Fiery warhorse, only FoS mounts I have are the Zhevra, Rivendare's Deathcharger and White Hawkstrider. Red Qiraji mount too if that counts.

Really well written, enjoyed reading it, so refreshing to have a none-qq thread to start off my day.
    Last edited by mmoc9f29e6783f; 2010-11-08 at 01:55 PM.