Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Soulburn is useless for Affliction

I've found zero use for Soulburn during boss fights as Affliction. Is it intended for a core resource mechanic to be so useless for a spec, or is this supposed to change in Cataclysm? The only cool use I've found for the spell is to cast a demonic circle, immediately burn a shard, and gain an 8 second ghetto sprint.

the soul shard mechanic was homage to the old soul shard system warlocks had for 6 years, as it stands it is only a memorial it's usefulness is well... iffy

not a warlock myself but, wouldnt it be possible for affliction warlocks to spec into improved soulfire at level 85 ? 15 % more haste doesnt sound to bad and i cant really see where to spend those points for pve dps at lvl 85

10+ Year Old Account
    I want to see Soulburn effect Haunt or UA...or something we use.
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

10+ Year Old Account
    umm how about the drain life? its kinda nice in pvp tbh, as affliction. Or the SoC one? corruption on everything is pretty nice imo

I'm talking about PvE boss fights, where you're not going to drain life or seed of corruption. The shard system was billed by the developers as being used for "cool moments during boss fights". I haven't found a way to use it at at all.

They specifically stated they didn't want the soulburn mechanic to be another "just use it on cooldown" thing. I'm sure they would be pleased if they made it interesting enough that, at least once per fight, you found a reason to use it, but it's perfectly reasonable for you to not.

They have no intention of either trying to balance the ability so that 3 shards does you for any length fight, or trying to make sure the in-battle replenishment of shards works well enough to count on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tobyps View Post
    The shard system was billed by the developers as being used for "cool moments during boss fights". I haven't found a way to use it at at all.
    I'm in the same boat. I just toss it up on my right-bars for when I need to summon a different pet...which I never do...
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ "In short, people are idiots who don't really understand anything." ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥
    [/url]
    ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥ ⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥⛥

Well you can allways use it for soulfire...its not that good as for anothe spec...but still its dps burst

Stood in the Fire
    15+ Year Old Account
    I have to agree with the OP's sentiment, it's virtually useless in any real scenario pve scenario.

To be honest I'm disappointed overall with the changes made, for instance the quoted blue post on the front page where they state that the changes were designed so that they could more easily balance specs for instance, and yet they seem as inept as ever, I mean really destro plays out by the numbers @ 19k+ dps vs 16k for affliction?

What the hell is that about, it seems overall that while destro and demo got some interesting new tweeks, affliction just got burned. Soulburned if you prefer.

10+ Year Old Account
    I'm talking about PvE boss fights, where you're not going to drain life or seed of corruption. The shard system was billed by the developers as being used for "cool moments during boss fights". I haven't found a way to use it at at all.
    SbSoc on adds maybi? Dont waste time aoeing adds, nuke the boss!! onyxia is good example for this.
    Or use the healstone when shit going to happen like festergut going wild while u only have 1 stack?
    Or just soulfire like every1 else said. once u hit 85, that 15% haste will be nice

Soulburn: SoC on fights like LK disagrees with you.

Who doesn't like another big hitting instant when you're moving from A to B? Plus if they buff improved soulfire as was looking possible at one point imp soulfire means you'd pop it for a short term haste boost.

Plus I suspect the burned drain life is a small DPS gain as well as a nice emergency heal, especially good if there's fights you know you'll take a slight damage spike during a few times.

Quote Originally Posted by Geomatician View Post
    Soulburn: SoC on fights like LK disagrees with you.
    So you'd like to reduce the single target DPS of a spec which is already suffering greatly on single target DPS to pad meters with AOE? Nice going.

And no, there's no useful application of Soulburn for Afflic at 80 for PVE. Sucks, but with how bad Afflic is at 80... who cares?

with enough mastery soulburn drainlife is some nice burst usually in ICC it does 20-30k dmg

edit: and affliction is not in a poor place on single target right now
    Last edited by Nnayr; 2010-11-07 at 01:41 AM. Reason: derp

10+ Year Old Account
    I play Affliction using Drain Life as a filler, so on fights where SB: SoC use useless I get decent usage out of SB: Drain Life, and at times SB: Soul Fire when moving.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    So you'd like to reduce the single target DPS of a spec which is already suffering greatly on single target DPS to pad meters with AOE? Nice going.

And no, there's no useful application of Soulburn for Afflic at 80 for PVE. Sucks, but with how bad Afflic is at 80... who cares?
    He's not talking about padding the meters with AoE. He's talking about seeding vile spirits. Which you are going to do on that fight.

Quote Originally Posted by Seezer View Post
    He's not talking about padding the meters with AoE. He's talking about seeding vile spirits. Which you are going to do on that fight.
    depends on your group comp really. our guild has 3-4 shadow priests, so inside the shadowmourne room is pretty much taken care of with mind sear alone. which is why none of our locks spec into SB:SoC.gives em another point to put into bane or shadow and flame. other then that instant summon pet is about all i ever use it for.
    Last edited by Evilmonkey; 2010-11-07 at 02:58 AM.
    Death Knights are good for one thing. Bank Alts. Nothing more.

I usually use it for an instant Soul Fire when moving. Nothing to write home about really.

I will burn your soul.

Instant Soul Fire. Stop complaining. You have an instant cast that hits for a reasonable amount. Next time you find yourself having to move, take advantage of it.

And at 85 you'll be able to take Improved Soul Fire in the Destro tree and be able to use that instant Soul Fire to give yourself a nice haste buff. It's not quite working at 80 because the specs and abilities aren't built for level 80.