Thread: Smite Healing

Page 1 of 3
LastLast
    Deleted

Smite Healing

Hello guys begin to play wow again and lot of thing have change as I notice. At the moment I am leveling up my priest (73) as smite spec. My questen is to more confirm what I belive, is that smite only heals one person at the time?(the tooltip seems not to say that) And if that is the case would it be to strong to have it to heal all that in range instead? What I read is that disc at 85 seems little bit weak.

Anyway I love the new way you heal as disc lot more fun. I have a druid, shaman and paladin must say disc so much more fun now with the smite heals.

when it first went live smite healed everyone within range of the target. and yeah, it was stupidly powerful. it now only heals one person and it's not particularly smart about which one, but is still nice in situations where nobody is in immediate need of healing.
    Do your best
    Expect the worst
    Enjoy the mediocre

When you deal damage with Smite, you instantly heal a nearby low health friendly party or raid target within 15 yards from the enemy target equal to 100% of the damage dealt.
    Seems pretty clear that it would only heal one person. Have had issues with it not working despite tank and myself both being within melee range on occasion, though.

10+ Year Old Account
    I was wondering about smite spec myself. I pretty much just spammed smite in 5 man heroics, but what is my role as Disc in raids now? Smite/Penance? Or is it bubble spam like usual?
    Lightning Fast

Ignore this post, I fail at reading.
    Last edited by Vook; 2010-11-09 at 05:12 PM.
    Quote Originally Posted by Precursor View Post
    "Fall of therzane....." ....um what? if that woman fell , god help us it will be the second cataclysm
    Words that lots of people don't seem to know the definition of:
    "Troll", "Rehash", "Casual", "Dead", "Dying", "Exploit".

It is not actually getting a nerf, There was a post about it a while ago, its a 2 point talent, each giving 50% so that is 100%
    Gamdwelf the Mage

Quote Originally Posted by Theodarzna View Post
    I'm calling it, Republicans will hold congress in 2018 and Trump will win again in 2020.

Deleted
    I've never had an issue with it, it doesn't necessarily hit the tank automatically as the tool tip implies it hits the party/raid member with the lowest health. What I really don't get is how people seem to think this will be a viable alternative to actually healing. Mana regen is going to be an issue come Cataclysm (hip-hip-hooray!), but really, all I see Atonement as is a tool to minimise your downtime while you're casting Smite for a stack of Evangelism for your pretty pretty wings and oh yeah, a chunk of mana (and healing buff).

Deleted

Cool

Quote Originally Posted by Error302 View Post
    when it first went live smite healed everyone within range of the target. and yeah, it was stupidly powerful. it now only heals one person and it's not particularly smart about which one, but is still nice in situations where nobody is in immediate need of healing.
    As I thought then...blizz still the same. When the change stuff it is all or nothing. If it is underpower with one and overpower with all in range could they find a number in between? Like 3 seems not too power full but more usefull.

Well I hope we have not seen the last version of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevara View Post
    I've never had an issue with it, it doesn't necessarily hit the tank automatically as the tool tip implies it hits the party/raid member with the lowest health. What I really don't get is how people seem to think this will be a viable alternative to actually healing. Mana regen is going to be an issue come Cataclysm (hip-hip-hooray!), but really, all I see Atonement as is a tool to minimise your downtime while you're casting Smite for a stack of Evangelism for your pretty pretty wings and oh yeah, a chunk of mana (and healing buff).
    Yup. "All" it does is give you an alternative to heal that does damage while healing, stacking a buff that makes it stronger and stronger, applying divine aegis, while regenerating more mana than was spent and granting you a +healing buff in the process that you can use every 30 seconds, or just about every pull, in order to maintain the party's general health while saving your mana for when the shit hits the fan. What a terrible waste of three low-level talent points!

It's not an alternative to healing in general. It's an alternative to the Heal spell, which is boring. This ability is borderline OP and I love it. I spend most 5-mans shielding the tank and spamming smite until it's not keeping up, always leaving me with full mana in case of emergencies. If I end up having to blow some of that mana, I still use the ability to regenerate mana back to full without having to stop the group to drink. Also, I get a ton of people asking me about the wings which look pretty bad-ass on an undead with spiky hair. On top of compliments on the wings, by always having mana for emergencies, I am constantly getting complimented on my healing by groups, largely because of this mechanic (and also because I'm a little bit awesome )
    Last edited by Jiraiyah; 2010-11-09 at 04:40 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Blitzkrieg Says View Post
    I was wondering about smite spec myself. I pretty much just spammed smite in 5 man heroics, but what is my role as Disc in raids now? Smite/Penance? Or is it bubble spam like usual?
    Since mastery does make your PW:S absorb more damage it would be safe to say that the main role of a disc priest is to keep your PW:S on whoever needs it at all times. There will be few opportunites for you to smite heal during raid boss encounters as well as casting "Heal" to reduce the CD on PW:S. Both of these shouldn't be priority in your rotation until atleast cata comes out.

while lvling queue as healer and smite/penance, high dps (almost always first, unless aoe where im like nowhere close) and everybody is full

cant be better

Jiaiyah, don't get used to Atonement being a replacement for Heal. It will work until the next major patch (which should be before Cata), but as soon as that hits if you keep thinking of it as a replacement for Heal you're going to get shafted. It's less overall healing output and less efficient than Heal.

Keep in mind that post-patch it will cost you 61.6% base mana to stack Evangelism to 5, which will then return 5% of your mana through Archangel. At 85 this means you spend 12,683 mana to stack it. For Archangel to reuturn that much mana you would need 253,669 total mana.

Smite healing is pretty much meant for messing around. Not healing raids. It's the lowest output possible for the lowest output healer in the game. Not really something to center your gameplay on at all. Spending 5 points on it is laughable.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Jiraiyah View Post
    Yup. "All" it does is give you an alternative to heal that does damage while healing, stacking a buff that makes it stronger and stronger, applying divine aegis, while regenerating more mana than was spent and granting you a +healing buff in the process that you can use every 30 seconds, or just about every pull, in order to maintain the party's general health while saving your mana for when the shit hits the fan. What a terrible waste of three low-level talent points!

It's not an alternative to healing in general. It's an alternative to the Heal spell, which is boring. This ability is borderline OP and I love it. I spend most 5-mans shielding the tank and spamming smite until it's not keeping up, always leaving me with full mana in case of emergencies. If I end up having to blow some of that mana, I still use the ability to regenerate mana back to full without having to stop the group to drink. Also, I get a ton of people asking me about the wings which look pretty bad-ass on an undead with spiky hair. On top of compliments on the wings, by always having mana for emergencies, I am constantly getting complimented on my healing by groups, largely because of this mechanic (and also because I'm a little bit awesome )
    You seem to have deliberately misinterpreted my post, then agreed with me in the next paragraph. I didn't say they're a bad set of talents, I said they're not a viable alternative to actually healing. Yeah you can do that in 5-man heroics, but let's be frank, I'm genuinely surprised you actually need to heal at all! (That you're actually using Heal in current meta-game, speaks volumes to me.) If you could do it in the current tier of raid content, then I'd be impressed.
    I knew a priest who was constantly getting compliments, which amused me because he was pretty shoddy. You either group with people who are easily impressed or you're making it look harder than it actually is.

P.S. A properly geared disc priest can have upward of 40k mana, you could spam FH 'til the cows come home and still have mana for when the midden hits the windmill.
    Last edited by mmocfa5f61cc5f; 2010-11-09 at 05:39 PM. Reason: Added a cutting remark.

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Jiaiyah, don't get used to Atonement being a replacement for Heal. It will work until the next major patch (which should be before Cata), but as soon as that hits if you keep thinking of it as a replacement for Heal you're going to get shafted. It's less overall healing output and less efficient than Heal.

Keep in mind that post-patch it will cost you 61.6% base mana to stack Evangelism to 5, which will then return 5% of your mana through Archangel. At 85 this means you spend 12,683 mana to stack it. For Archangel to reuturn that much mana you would need 253,669 total mana.

Smite healing is pretty much meant for messing around. Not healing raids. It's the lowest output possible for the lowest output healer in the game. Not really something to center your gameplay on at all. Spending 5 points on it is laughable.

Evangelism didn't get nerfed. Rank 1 got a tooltip fix (or possible nerf/bug fix) but rank 2 still heals for 100% of the damage done. Archangel restores 3% mana per stack, up to 15% not 5%. Dark Angel restores 5%. Thats for shadow priests. Unless there's a blue post somewhere that I've missed.

It's not for healing raids. Neither is the Heal spell. It's a direct replacement for Heal. It heals enough to keep up group health during times when you don't need to use bigger heals, while also dealing damage. It's obviously not for raiding. Not everything in the game is designed for raiding.

Deleted
    A friend is loving it. It seems to only heal the one target but she finds it great for keeping me topped off and not having to bother filling me up over little scratches. I consider it more of a pre-emptive healing than a real heal though.

Quote Originally Posted by Nevara View Post
    You seem to have deliberately misinterpreted my post, then agreed with me in the next paragraph. I didn't say they're a bad set of talents, I said they're not a viable alternative to actually healing. Yeah you can do that in 5-man heroics, but let's be frank, I'm genuinely surprised you actually need to heal at all! (That you're actually using Heal in current meta-game, speaks volumes to me.) If you could do it in the current tier of raid content, then I'd be impressed.
    I knew a priest who was constantly getting compliments, which amused me because he was pretty shoddy. You either group with people who are easily impressed or you're making it look harder than it actually is.

P.S. A properly geared disc priest can have upward of 40k mana, you could spam FH 'til the cows come home and still have mana for when the midden hits the windmill.
    Who the hell thinks it's a replacement for all healing? That's a ridiculous statement to make in the first place. I could make a post in here exclaiming that I hate it when people think tofu is a replacement for a calculator and it would make as much sense as your post. But since you don't seem to understand the point of the spell, I figured I'd focus on helping you understand how it's actually kinda good.

Guess what, decently-geared priest-guy. You're gonna be wasting people's time drinking come cataclysm if you overuse flash heal. There's a time and place for flash heal. During the times where you don't need it, keeping the group up while adding 10-15% of the group's total damage while regenerating mana faster than you're using it is a pretty decent option. That way, if you need it, you'll have it.

Quote Originally Posted by harky View Post
    Spending 5 points on it is laughable.
    It's 3 points, not 5. Including archangel. At that tier, your only other options are inner sanctum and mental agility. Inner sanctum seems to be mostly a pvp ability as it's damage reduction. The run speed portion might be worth it in cataclysm, I'm not sure. Mental agility will reduce the mana cost of instant-cast spells by 12%, which might help if you're spam shielding in a raid, but outside of that environment pales in comparison to evangelism/archangel for mana management. By a lot.

I've tried it both ways trying to get a leg up on cataclysm's mana game. There's no better option than evangelsm/archangel for keeping a group topped off while maintaining full mana. The damage you add to the group is not insignificant and it's a lot more fun than spamming Heal.

EDIT: forgot about attonement, so it is 5. The lack of anywhere better to put those points as well still negates the point.
    Last edited by Jiraiyah; 2010-11-09 at 07:39 PM.

I keep hearing 15 yards for smite healing. I keep hearing 8 yards for smite healing. Which one is it?!?

Quote Originally Posted by Owltoid View Post
    I keep hearing 15 yards for smite healing. I keep hearing 8 yards for smite healing. Which one is it?!?
    Tooltip in game says 15. I've been hear a lot of conflicting information as well. This thread isn't the first place I've seen people say it's a 5% mana gain. It's most definitely 15% with 5 stacks which more than makes up for the smites even at low levels/gear. It heals for 100% of the damage done to the lowest hp party member within 15 yards and when the damage crits, so does the heal. The crits apply divine aegis but don't seem to be affected by +healing.

Deleted
    Well I was doing bane yesterday and i was using to as a return of mana, as Harky said though it wont quite be that at 85, just something to give you some mana back from all the smites not more than it costs. I gain 7015 mana with my mana pool with a spending of around 2600mana. Apart from that i didnt find it useful, but in between shielding the raid tanks healing hard pre and post soul reaper. You do have some free time to use it. It's not the way it will work at 85, but for raiding now thats the only REAL use ive found for it other than the "oh we have too many healers i'll smite" times.