Am I the only one...

who cant stand playing as a caster while questing. In dungeons im fine, but while questing i just cant seem to do it. I just rly hate the feeling of being pounded on by the mob while trying to cast(even if the mob only has a lil bit of health left) i feel so helpless. The prob is Casters seem like so much fun, but maybe im not playing them properly while questing. How does one properly play a caster while questing?

Derailed the Cereal Thread

Well, the obvious question is.... What caster class are you talking about?

Attack at max range and everything that's not elite (and even a few elites) die before they reach you.
    If they do get to you, use nova/fear/thunderstorm/etc to get space and blow them up.

Don't pull massive packs. Take out the ones on the edges first. Or play a lock and send in the voidwalker.
    Quote Originally Posted by Kirk_Fogg
    But don't worry guys... you're not going to Space Camp but at least you've got those remote control trucks and your confidence.
    Quote Originally Posted by Olmec
    The player that conquers the most countries in sixty seconds, wins!

Quote Originally Posted by Jorgie View Post
    Well, the obvious question is.... What caster class are you talking about?
    This. Also, every caster class has abilities that prevents mobs from reaching you. If they still do, you are doing something wrong

Look at it on the bright side, if you're melee, they'll be beating on you a lot more. If you're a mage, they should always have a snare on them and never be close to hitting you, with a lock, they'll either be feared, tanking a felguard, or blow up by destruction spells. Really, most mobs won't be able to get more than a few hits unless you're a boomkin or shadow priest, even then they should die quick.

If you rounding up a bunch of mobs they will beat on you. If your focusing on just one mob, it should never reach you at all.

to answer the question of which class, i was trying out Boomkin. I would start by applying the DoTs then spamming Wrath or Starfire. Should i just do the spells and not worry about the DoTs?

10+ Year Old Account
    If you can help it only cast at max range. The mobs will be dead before they can reach you then. Also, cast entangling roots then your dots and wrath or starfire.

Depends on what class. I love playing my shadow priest, shield, dot dot, rinse + repeat. Even my boomkin is fun, cat form, dash and tag a dozen mobs, starfall, barkskin, hurricane, ???, win. I have always loved casters, in fact, I can't figure out how people can quest as melee.

---------- Post added 2010-11-11 at 06:29 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by bak00777 View Post
    to answer the question of which class, i was trying out Boomkin. I would start by applying the DoTs then spamming Wrath or Starfire. Should i just do the spells and not worry about the DoTs?
    You dont want to cast on stuff, dots, lolfall, typhoon, and barkskin/hurricane, use thorns when something gets on you. After an aoe pack, Toss up some HoT's, innervate, and repeat.

Quote Originally Posted by smashzu View Post
    Depends on what class. I love playing my shadow priest, shield, dot dot, rinse + repeat. Even my boomkin is fun, cat form, dash and tag a dozen mobs, starfall, barkskin, hurricane, ???, win. I have always loved casters, in fact, I can't figure out how people can quest as melee.

---------- Post added 2010-11-11 at 06:29 PM ----------

You dont want to cast on stuff, dots, lolfall, typhoon, and barkskin/hurricane, use thorns when something gets on you. After an aoe pack, Toss up some HoT's, innervate, and repeat.
    is barkskin still around? I cant find it in my spellbook or talent trees

OP, you're not doing it right if you're getting pounded on while casting while questing. Unless you are playing a lock, which is the way to play a lock with soul link.

Mages are retarded easy to level, and mobs never get to me. FN and CoC are badass while leveling, and added in Frost bolt and the mob will never ever EVER be able to get to you.

10+ Year Old Account
    I play a holy priest and I really enjoy questing on it.

A priest doesn't get pounded on because they have their bubble. Mages kite mobs (move around while the mob is following them). Locks can send in their pet.

I'm not knowlegable about Boomkins, but I'm pretty sure you root the enemies and use the AoE star spell.

I loved leveling an elemental shaman, hunter (ranged DPS, semi-OT) and a mage. They're all fun.