Page 1 of 3
LastLast

How long will raids take?

I read some blue post that said raids will no longer be like ICC anymore...with around 4-6 bosses per raid.
    With that, are we expecting short raids, like how long ToC would take for people of the same gear level (Probably around 30min-1hour for i232 geared people in ToC10)?

Just wondering, since some wrath raids like Naxx, Ulduar, and ICC can take super long, while Ony, EoE, and hell ToC if you outgear alot go by super fast.
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Judging from the recent buffs to raids on Beta, it'll be less a question of how long it takes to clear and more whether you clear it at all, for some time to come.

I don't think we'll ever see anything like ToC ever again. Even the developers seem to hate it.

I expect each raid instance will take anywhere from 2-4 hours depending on how experienced/lucky/geared you are.
    Warlocks are what FDR was talking about
    Quote Originally Posted by OldHordeGlory View Post
    RAGNAROS: WOULD YOU LIKE THAT TOASTED?!
    Customer: Um, no thanks.
    RAGNAROS: TOO BAD! TASTE THE FLAMES OF SULFURON!

i hope, at least at the start it will not be a rush treu. i hope they made it hard enough so u can not just zerg treu in qeusting bleu's. this was possible at the start of wrath. wipping on a boss for a week or 2 is not something bad. it also prevents u from going bored uber fast like in this xpac.

I hope they are like 3-4 hours if not more... gives me more time doing the PVE i love so much

3-4 hours is way to long, most ppl have a hard time focusing/comitting to a raid for 2hours. u would just see a lot more drops of focus and 'brb i need bio' .

Quote Originally Posted by brakke View Post
    3-4 hours is way to long, most ppl have a hard time focusing/comitting to a raid for 2hours. u would just see a lot more drops of focus and 'brb i need bio' .
    Dude to that we raided 2hrs a day 3 days a week... we had 1 guy that would bio or brb mum needs me like every 5 mins....

It'll depend how good your raid is. Nothing in the first tier is the size of ICC, Uld, or even Naxx, but you get more of them. And they look more challenging. I'd imagine if your raid was good you could easily spend a few hours a night for each on over 3 nights, and if you were REALLY good, clear em all in about 3 hours over 1 night.
    Quote Originally Posted by Eldrad View Post
    You know, at some point, Hitler was "just a beta" and people didn't stop him... then he went live.
    Just saying.
    MMO Champ forums - where Cata is comparable to Hitler.

Most likely as much time as you spent in SSC.

Probably 3-4 Hours to clear Bastion of Twilight in full blues/some epics. In full epics you can expect to clear BoT in 2 Hours.
    BWD will be probably from the 3 to the 5 hour range in blues/epics and again 2-3 Hours in Epics.

Heroic modes will take longer.

It's difficult to square GC's continued comments about wanting everyone to see the content, with the tuning of heroic 5 mans and raids as seen on beta. Either GC is lying and/or clueless, or they are planning to nerf the PvE content down the line. It could see them nerfing Tn raids when the Tn+1 content comes out, and possibly massively nerfing the last tier of content a month or two before the next expansion.

Quote Originally Posted by djspinner View Post
    the way they have it set up is that if you want to see the content, its challenging enough for a "casual" player to have some joy out of it.
    No. I think with current tuning, most players would not see much of the end game PvE content. Hence my puzzlement.

I am hoping the plan is that the "average" player will get a new boss kill each week - so 2-3 months until they have "seen all the content", while the hard-core raiders will have normal modes cleared in 1-3 weeks and take 1-2 months to get all the heroic fights down.

With the next tier will come a new 5 man to help gear up those that really couldn't get through the normal modes, and the cycle starts again.

3-4 Hours is longer than most spend in ICC.
    Not going to happen, I would assume.

I would expect 2 hours average for 4-6 bosses and some trash packs...
    Theres no way in hell I would raid 4 hours a night 3 days a week..
    Not that I am too busy for 4 hours a night....but really? I would lose focus pretty damn fast.

Even with the difficulty, I would lose focus. I already get bored in ICC due to how long it takes and how repetitive it is...
    Quote Originally Posted by xannax2780 View Post
    It's called balancing.
    Maybe you should try balancing the large cup of QQ in your left hand with a big mug of STFU in your right.
    Just sayn'

Quote Originally Posted by calinass View Post
    I read some blue post that said raids will no longer be like ICC anymore...with around 4-6 bosses per raid.
    With that, are we expecting short raids, like how long ToC would take for people of the same gear level (Probably around 30min-1hour for i232 geared people in ToC10)?

Just wondering, since some wrath raids like Naxx, Ulduar, and ICC can take super long, while Ony, EoE, and hell ToC if you outgear alot go by super fast.
    yes and no.

this is what they are doing.

Say...ICC for a example. instead of one large raid with one lockout, they will seperate it into "wings" which will have their own raid ID.

so yes, each individual "raid" will have less bosses, but their will be more "raids" per content. So something like ulduar would simply be seperated into multiple wings.

---------- Post added 2010-11-07 at 07:03 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Nitros14 View Post
    Judging from the recent buffs to raids on Beta, it'll be less a question of how long it takes to clear and more whether you clear it at all, for some time to come.
    Sadly if we want everyone to experience endgame content, that means we have to make it pretty much faceroll (near literal interpretation of the word) cuz of the extremely high number of bad players nowadays.

however, id like to think that people will shape up and the ones that cant will just be stuck failing or quit.

Though i can see them doing things similar to ICC.

after a whiel you get a MASSIVE BUFF to facerolll it for hte people who suck.
    To break it down even an even lower level, if The Rock looks at his hand, looks back at you, looks at his hand, and looks back at you again and you still don't know to move, you deserve the smack down.-mmo champion forum poster

What Allrightythen said, we are supposed to get less bosses per raid but more then just 1 raid to complete each tier. This is supposed to give people enough content to work on even with 10 and 25 mans sharing the same lock out. A raiding guild spends 2-3 hours a night, 3-4 nights a week wokring on 2 or more raids. At first it will take some time for people to start clearing them and you'll see guilds downing which ever bosses is easiest in those raids first each week then working on progression. When they can't to the point where they can clear both of them they can start to work on Hard Modes.

Those Heroic modes are supposed to work like ICC, switch it on when you want but you can't even attempt Hard Mode until you've killed the end boss of that raid at lest once. Not sure on this one but hopefully that will also mean you have to down certain other bosses on Hard Mode that week before being allowed to attempt the final boss on Hard Mode. The Lady Sinestra fight is like that, can't even attempt her unless u do everything else on Heroic first.

Not that I am too busy for 4 hours a night....but really? I would lose focus pretty damn fast.

Even with the difficulty, I would lose focus. I already get bored in ICC due to how long it takes and how repetitive it is...
    How long ICC takes?
    Didn't you just say that ICC is short in your first sentence or so? (how it reads)

....... ok.

When ICC was first released people were spending 3-4 3x a week trying to clear it. Now that everyone can just overgear the normal modes and most people have HM experience it's a much faster journey but 3-4 per 6 boss raid isn't that unimaginable. With the obvious spike in difficulty it could take longer than that. Hardmodes will certainly take longer.
    Quote Originally Posted by Herecius
    Man, Vanilla was so cool, where the final boss of the instance dropped weapons that shared models with blues and greens!
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17076#same-model-as
    http://www.wowhead.com/item=17074#same-model-as
    and he went on and listed about 16 more items...truly...a champion for logic

Quote Originally Posted by allrightythen View Post
    Sadly if we want everyone to experience endgame content, that means we have to make it pretty much faceroll (near literal interpretation of the word) cuz of the extremely high number of bad players nowadays.

however, id like to think that people will shape up and the ones that cant will just be stuck failing or quit.

Though i can see them doing things similar to ICC.

after a whiel you get a MASSIVE BUFF to facerolll it for hte people who suck.
    A "shape up or quit" design just makes no business sense -- too many people would choose the second option -- so I can't see that being what they plan.

Nerfing over time makes much more sense. It seems to have worked fairly well in ICC. I'll repeat my notion that they'll nerf PvE content when major patches occur, so the "bads" can be working on nerfed tier 11 raids (and nerfed initial heroic 5 mans) when the better raiders are on unnerfed tier 12.

10+ Year Old Account
    True that from a marketing point of view, marking hard content, excuse me, challenging content doesnt make much sense, but i'd rather have that than a game which rewards mediocrity /stupidity.