Desu always seemed weird for me to use. I understood when to use it, but when I would say a sentence that ended with desu it felt like the equivalent of saying a phrase in English and then ending it by saying "period." I mean, if if I said My name is X and left off the desu you'd still know what I said.

I'm pretty bummed since I wasn't able to take Japanese again this semester due to needing some other classes. And they didn't offer it over the summer either. I know I could learn it on my own, but for something like learning a language, the classroom environment is much more beneficial to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Watamote - This is probably my favorite episode of the show so far. I felt so bad for Tomoko near the end when she just wants some company and asks her brother to at least watch her light fireworks. Then it cuts to her out there alone and the brother watching through the window.

Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    Desu always seemed weird for me to use. I understood when to use it, but when I would say a sentence that ended with desu it felt like the equivalent of saying a phrase in English and then ending it by saying "period." I mean, if if I said My name is X and left off the desu you'd still know what I said.

I'm pretty bummed since I wasn't able to take Japanese this semester due to needing some other classes. And they didn't offer it over the summer either. I know I could learn it on my own, but for something like learning a language, the classroom environment is much more beneficial to me.

- - - Updated - - -

Watamote - This is probably my favorite episode of the show so far. I felt so bad for Tomoko near the end when she just wants some company and asks her brother to at least watch her light fireworks. Then it cuts to her out there alone and the brother watching through the window.
    From what I've understood "desu" is used as the verb in a sentence when there is no real alternative 私はASEです for example.. Then again I have never had japanese lessons and everything I know is self taught pretty much. I am most likely very wrong
    And no it doesn't mean "cute"

I'm pretty bummed since I wasn't able to take Japanese again this semester due to needing some other classes. And they didn't offer it over the summer either. I know I could learn it on my own, but for something like learning a language, the classroom environment is much more beneficial to me.
    It just has to do with proper grammar. There are several situations where leaving off desu or da would make a sentence difficult to understand. It's kinda like saying "my name X" rather than "my name *is* X", although taking out that "is" (to be verb) is more acceptable in Japanese than it is in English.

Quote Originally Posted by Brincamian View Post
    It just has to do with proper grammar. There are several situations where leaving off desu or da would make a sentence difficult to understand. It's kinda like saying "my name X" rather than "my name *is* X", although taking out that "is" (to be verb) is more acceptable in Japanese than it is in English.
    I'm not entirely sure you're correct on that. For example: Watashi no namae wa Hemoglobin desu (My name is Hemoglobin). In this situation the "wa" is "is", not desu. English doesn't have anything like desu so you can't translate it. I don't even always hear desu used by Japanese people (And not just in anime. Japanese in anime isn't your typical Japanese.) in situations where you would normally use it. This isn't always the case, but quite often I've just heard it left off.

I'm not entirely sure you're correct on that. For example: Watashi no namae wa Hemoglobin desu (My name is Hemoglobin). In this situation the "wa" is "is", not desu. English doesn't have anything like desu so you can't translate it. I don't even always hear desu used by Japanese people (And not just in anime. Japanese in anime isn't your typical Japanese.) in situations where you would normally use it. This isn't always the case, but quite often I've just heard it left off.
    "wa" indicates the subject of a sentence, doesn't it? In your example "Watashi no namae" is the subject, "Hemoglobin" the object and "desu" the predicate

Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    "wa" indicates the subject of a sentence, doesn't it? In your example "Watashi no namae" is the subject, "Hemoglobin" the object and "desu" the predicate
    I don't remember, it's been a few months since the Japanese class and I haven't kept up with it since. I just know "wa" ='s "is" in that particular sentence and I know desu isn't the predicate. The predicate provides information about the subject, such as what the subject is, what the subject is doing, or what the subject is like. Desu doesn't have any equivalent in the English language so it's hard to say what it really is. It just seems to be there from my understanding lol. I can't think of any similar types of rules in English atm, but I know we have a few things like that where it just is what it is because those are the rules lol.

I don't remember, it's been a few months since the Japanese class and I haven't kept up with it since. I just know "wa" ='s "is" in that particular sentence and I know desu isn't the predicate. The predicate provides information about the subject, such as what the subject is, what the subject is doing, or what the subject is like. Desu doesn't have any equivalent in the English language so it's hard to say what it really is. It just seems to be there from my understanding lol. I can't think of any similar types of rules in English atm, but I know we have a few things like that where it just is what it is because those are the rules lol.
    wa represents the subject of a sentence, and has no direct English equivalent. Topic markers just don't exist in English. Desu is the verb for "to be", and translates into is, are, am, etc. Deshita would be was, and da is the plain dictionary form of desu (datta being the past tense of da). Japanese allows you to omit things so long as it still makes sense, which is why desu is so frequently removed. The English equivalent of removing desu would be "My name Hemogoblin", if you translated it literally. Japanese puts verbs at the end of sentences, as I'm sure you know, so translating "watashi wa hemogoblin desu" while keeping the word order intact would be "I hemogoblin am", while "watashi no namae wa hemogoblin desu" would be "my name hemogoblin is".

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    Using Genki. My group of friends is probably the biggest weeaboo population of the entire class. There are some older people there, with the oldest looking in his 60s. Not sure if they were fans of anime but they could be. There definitely were a few that are into anime though still not as open about it.
    Business people most likely.
    We were already required to use desu once. At the beginning she asked us all our names and we had to respond with "Watashi Namae wa Eyll Zath desu".
    Watashi no Namae actually. 'No' would be the possessive particle. Though most people would still understand it.
    The particles are probably the most annoying things imo.
    In terms of grammar.
    私の名前はレミリアです
    です/desu = is. As the copula.
    ha/wa is a subject particle.
    The verb generally comes at the end.

Quote Originally Posted by Remilia View Post
    In terms of grammar.
    私の名前はレミリアです
    です/desu = is. As the copula.
    ha/wa is a subject particle.
    The verb generally comes at the end.
    OMG I could read that! I'm using Remembering the Kanji and am at around the halfway point, and it's so cool seeing a couple I know individually and then puzzling out what they mean together. I knew 名 and 前 as well as the pronunciation and meaning, but hadn't made the connection that they went together for namae 名前. Kanji is so cool.

10+ Year Old Account
    Kanji is evil.

Chinese made me hate it. >.>

Deleted
    Kanji is evil. :(

Chinese made me hate it. >.>
    Kanji are awesome. I love how a "book"(本) is a cut down "tree"(木), or "meat"(肉) is two "person"(人) in a box. ^.^

Now that I'm done with my English degree I'll probably get started on one in Japanese. Been waiting long to continue learning and nothing's left to hinder me. :)

Quote Originally Posted by Caine View Post
    Kanji are awesome. I love how a "book"(本) is a cut down "tree"(木), or "meat"(肉) is two "person"(人) in a box. ^.^

Now that I'm done with my English degree I'll probably get started on one in Japanese. Been waiting long to continue learning and nothing's left to hinder me.
    There are ~2000 kanji in use in japanese. They are evil.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Asetotti View Post
    There are ~2000 kanji in use in japanese. They are evil.
    Way more. 2000 is what you'd need for an average newspaper. ;P

10+ Year Old Account
    Watashi no Namae actually. 'No' would be the possessive particle. Though most people would still understand it.
    Yeah, after reading Hemo's post I realized I forgot the "no". That was part of what we said though.

Way more. 2000 is what you'd need for an average newspaper. ;P
    We actually talked about this in Japanese. Our teacher said the average newspaper uses 500-700. The average amount of kanji a high school graduate knows is 1800-2000. The actual amount is like 7000.

We actually talked about this in Japanese. Our teacher said the average newspaper uses 500-700. The average amount of kanji a high school graduate knows is 1800-2000. The actual amount is like 7000.
    Remembering the Kanji covers 2200, a pretty good starting point. And the system it uses is pretty amazing, doing 20 or so a day isn't too bad. Some people do 30+ and finish in a few months. Just gotta learn how to pronounce them separately, but the time saved with this method more than makes up for that I think.

Deleted
    When my teacher, a native Japanese, talked about Kanji they said a newspaper is about ~2000. Then again, those are just exemplary figures to portray approximate amount of Kanji you need to learn so it can vary from teacher to teacher, I guess.

is it safe?

Deleted
    Question: is Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou based on something or is it an original anime? It's just as unfinished as awesome, so I want to read/see more of it.
    Last edited by mmocab3a46fee3; 2013-08-20 at 11:37 PM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Caught up with a couple episodes I missed the past few days.

TWGOK - Honestly like this season better than the past two seasons. Forgot how much I liked Ayumi, this was an amazing episode. Probably will end up reading the manga (already been spoiled so i might as well)

Watamote - When she was going to get her line recorded by the VA and when her mom walked into her room... oh god the cringe. Had to pause the video it was so bad.

Question: is Ichiban Ushiro no Daimaou based on something or is it an original anime? It's just as unfinished as awesome, so I want to read/see more of it.
    there's an ongoing manga http://myanimelist.net/manga/18926/I...iro_no_Daimaou also has light novels