I think a lot of the charm of the show was lost with the English dub. I personally thought the Japanese voice actors fit the characters much better. Holo for example. She's a playful character and I think the Japanese voice did a good job portraying that. Whereas with the English dub, Holo just sounded like someone with an uptight English accent, and her playfulness just sounded faked. I don't know though, I've never really liked English dubs and have always found the Japanese to be more fitting. Though, with some of the Studio Ghibli films, I think the dubs are quite good. I really like the dub for Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.

Quote Originally Posted by bals View Post
    i don't either, buying it because it's a good show + to support the company so hopefully more stuff gets released over here.
    i'll watch with japanese + subs
    I did the same thing on that one.
    Quote Originally Posted by Hemoglobin View Post
    I think a lot of the charm of the show was lost with the English dub. I personally thought the Japanese voice actors fit the characters much better. Holo for example. She's a playful character and I think the Japanese voice did a good job portraying that. Whereas with the English dub, Holo just sounded like someone with an uptight English accent, and her playfulness just sounded faked. I don't know though, I've never really liked English dubs and have always found the Japanese to be more fitting. Though, with some of the Studio Ghibli films, I think the dubs are quite good. I really like the dub for Spirited Away and Kiki's Delivery Service.
    That's how I feel as well.

I think the main difference is that voice actor is a much prestigious and serious job in japan than it is here in the US.

Quote Originally Posted by Ghostpaws View Post
    I did the same thing on that one.
    never actually got around to watching s2 but I really enjoyed s1 and that's saying quite a bit since I mostly just like action shows and spice and wolf is mostly just drama

10+ Year Old Account
    This is why dub sucks. D:

And yes, VAs in the US seem to be taken less serious. Then again VAs in Japan do do other things like songs for OP/ED or what not.

I think the main difference is that voice actor is a much prestigious and serious job in japan than it is here in the US.
    Basically. Some anime also just don't belong in English. I'd say a good example of that is Steins;Gate, where much of the humor comes from how eccentric Okabe is and how he'll randomly throw in an engrish terminology while speaking. Now I'm begrudgingly waiting for that famous 'son of a bitch' scene to be deduced to Okabe trying to act black. :/

There are some really good voice actors in america though, just seems like for the most part companies hire some random dude off the street that can talk but has a really poor ability to convey any emotion. Lately it seems like a lot of companies are hiring some A+ actors to do voice work because they realize they just do way better jobs. I mean pretty much any disney/pixar/etc animated movie has insane voice casting and since disney does studio ghilbi films they have good voice actors. but for the rest of things...

and to add to this, it really seems like it's just for anime. like they just want to pick random guys they can pay little to do it.
    a lot of american cartoons have good voice actors.
    Last edited by bals; 2012-07-29 at 10:16 AM.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I love it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 07:52 PM ----------

I'm actually amazed at how good the fourth episode was in terms of content and pacing. I was smiling the entire time, and it was a really feel-good episode. I really really really hope we see a lot more of her. Beast-tamer like players have a special place in my heart.

Best girl:

Still need to see Pink hair though.

Just watched the latest episode this morning really enjoying this anime. Wish I didn't have to wait a week between each
    Also watching Arcana Famiglia quite a nice little anime

Quote Originally Posted by Zatheyll View Post
    I love it.

---------- Post added 2012-07-28 at 07:52 PM ----------

I'm actually amazed at how good the fourth episode was in terms of content and pacing. I was smiling the entire time, and it was a really feel-good episode. I really really really hope we see a lot more of her. Beast-tamer like players have a special place in my heart.

Best girl:
    *Snip Scilica Image*
    Still need to see Pink hair though.
    I also thought the pacing on this weeks episode was done pretty well, but we won't see too much of her again until around late ALO/early GGO. Lizbet should appear in a few episodes as well, so that will be interesting to see animated.
    I'm hoping next weeks episode will be a two parter though or its probably going to feel really rushed overall. Having a mystery like the one in the next episode, cutting out huge chunks, and then tossing in laughing coffin for good measure at the end would make me pretty sad . Hopefully they stick really well to how PoH was described in the novels.
    "It's showtime..."
    Also: (For you Scilica lovers out there)
    Cait Sith Scilica is best Scilica [url]http://i.imgur.com/cb5ZL.jpg[/url]
    Last edited by Ghostpaws; 2012-07-29 at 10:42 AM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by -Dalliah- View Post
    Best Sword Arter. So cute.

And 2nd season of Boku wa Tomodachi ga Sukunai, aw yeah.
    yea just read it and put up an article about it on AU. more kobato and maria isn't a bad thing.

New PV with character designs and stuff of Little Busters
    Last edited by Millhi; 2012-07-29 at 01:14 PM.
    Anilist
    #PraiseforKyoAni

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalyissa View Post
    Just watched the latest episode this morning really enjoying this anime. Wish I didn't have to wait a week between each
    Also watching Arcana Famiglia quite a nice little anime
    Also liking Arcana. Quite a few people aren't because of the pacing but I don't mind it, it's a nice one to watch and have fun watching.

I also thought the pacing on this weeks episode was done pretty well, but we won't see too much of her again until around late ALO/early GGO. Lizbet should appear in a few episodes as well, so that will be interesting to see animated.
    I'm hoping next weeks episode will be a two parter though or its probably going to feel really rushed overall. Having a mystery like the one in the next episode, cutting out huge chunks, and then tossing in laughing coffin for good measure at the end would make me pretty sad . Hopefully they stick really well to how PoH was described in the novels.
    "It's showtime..."
    Also: (For you Scilica lovers out there)
    Cait Sith Scilica is best Scilica [url]http://i.imgur.com/cb5ZL.jpg[/url]
    Oh, so we do get to see her again. I thought we would never see her again.

I really hope they are done with the major time skips and the rest goes at a steady pace.

Woke up early just for Sunday anime. :3 Near back to back of Tari Tari, Arcana, Jinrui, Oda, and Muv-Luv. Glorious.

Of course.. Tari Tari is held back 12 hours. >.>
    Last edited by Zatheyll; 2012-07-29 at 01:46 PM.

No problem! They release them in English every 6 months, so volume 6 just came out last month, and 7 will be out around Christmas.
    They're actually speeding up the releases to one every 4 months after the 7th comes out, yay! There's also an unofficial translation that is just finishing the 10th novel. If anyone wants a link to that, feel free to PM me.

As for subs vs dubs, subs win 90% of the time as people have been saying. Only the big budget shows like Ghibli and such manage to get good English voice actors. This is a problem with most Japanese games, as well, but the majority have no option to switch to the Japanese voices. I wish it was an option on more of them.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Galil ACE View Post
    Sorry for using this thread as Google.
    Dude it's what we do in the anime community. Hell TBH i'm not even sure i've seen somone say "google it" even 10 times hell even 8 might be a bit high in the past 4 years i've been following anime online. Just not normally done. So yeah don't worry and ask away.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 04:12 PM ----------

Oh, wow 17 lol. Quite a bit then. I hope they continue it, I'm guessing they wont though. Checked when season 2 came out and it's been quite a while since. Too bad all the novels aren't translated. Thanks Ghost.
    Not necessarily. Slayers got TWO new seasons almost 10 years after the last, ZnT had like 2-4 years between season 3 and 4 just as bad if not worse for shana. Then we have aquarion which had about 4 years from the end of the movie to Evol. So yeah don't count out Spice and Wolf yet.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 04:15 PM ----------

what's even more annoying is insanely popular things like code geass, TTGL, and death note that don't have english blu-ray releases for some reason? don't even think they have japanese blu-rays?! I love those series so I want to purchase them on blu-ray instead of dvd but they only have dvd releases... I guess they figure a little longer and they can milk more money from the blu-rays

already have the spice and wolf season 1 & 2 blu-ray release on pre-order from amazon though.
    Sadly Code Geass probably won't get blu rays here unless it gets relicensed after bandais dies. Similar for other shows on your list.

---------- Post added 2012-07-29 at 04:21 PM ----------

Time to mention my joy at Isekai being licensed though not liking the rename(at least it's not as bad as tweeny witches) and also more Fairy Tail among the Geneon rescues coming through.

Deleted
    Hey guys, anyone got any recomentations to a person who generaly finds anime discusting but, finds Hellsing Ultimate the best thing hes ever seen in hes life?
    have watched:
    Ergo Proxy
    Claymore
    Elfen lied
    Black lagoon
    Death note (ya like everyone :P)
    Higurashi
    Berserk (side note Death note, Claymore and black lagoon were only ones of those i found interesting)

Quote Originally Posted by Rather View Post
    Hey guys, anyone got any recomentations to a person who generaly finds anime discusting but, finds Hellsing Ultimate the best thing hes ever seen in hes life?
    have watched:
    Ergo Proxy
    Claymore
    Elfen lied
    Black lagoon
    Death note (ya like everyone :P)
    Higurashi
    Berserk (side note Death note, Claymore and black lagoon were only ones of those i found interesting)
    Based on what you've seen, I'd recommend Monster, Paranoia Agent, and maybe Baccano!.

Deleted
    Thanks i think ill give Monster a shot the plot seemed interesting!

Deleted
    Woah, its been a long time since i visited this thread, way too much to catch up on >.<

Figured i'll ask, whats peoples opinion about Dakara Boku wa H ga Dekinai?
    I know its pretty much the fanservice show of this season, with various cliché moments and stuff, but putting that aside, im still very disappointed in the anime.
    Maybe its since im reading the manga, which is totally different. Theres no silly 3 month death count, and the sister appears in a different manner, and some other things that are different (like those monsters, why do they always add monsters to anime to make it exciting? Im getting samurai deeper vibes all over...).
    I know the light novel kinda came first, but i cant change the way i see manga -> anime if ive read the manga first :P

Edit: What the fudge happened to my post count? Im clearly awesome to have a signature with only 5 posts...

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post
    Woah, its been a long time since i visited this thread, way too much to catch up on >.<

I know its pretty much the fanservice show of this season, with various cliché moments and stuff, but putting that aside, im still very disappointed in the anime.
    Maybe its since im reading the manga, which is totally different. Theres no silly 3 month death count, and the sister appears in a different manner, and some other things that are different (like those monsters, why do they always add monsters to anime to make it exciting? Im getting samurai deeper vibes all over...).
    I know the light novel kinda came first, but i cant change the way i see manga -> anime if ive read the manga first :P

Edit: What the fudge happened to my post count? Im clearly awesome to have a signature with only 5 posts...
    Finally someone else is sharing my predicament! I've lost well over 100 posts from my post count and it's scaring me.

I'm also watching Dakara Boku, but I haven't seen the latest episode yet. Being fan-service it's really hard to take seriously and it's definitely not one of my favorite of this season, but I am enjoying it non-the-less. I do think Hagure is much better in terms of late-night harem fan-service though.

Quote Originally Posted by Tenhou View Post

Skelington is enjoying it. It's a pretty funny show. Too much disgusting enormous breasts on the fan-service side, though. Better than Hagure so far.

Lost a couple hundred off post count. Doesn't really make much difference this high up.

10+ Year Old Account
    Liking dakara h. As for post county holy shot i lost like 300-400 posts.

I like Dakara and Hagure pretty equally, a lot more than I thought I would. I like the designs from Dakara, Lisara is hnnnng.