Thread: Orcs = Spartans

Page 11 of 19 FirstFirst ...
... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by Ecstatic View Post
    That place's called FYROM afaik. I call for photoshop!
    AFAIK, it's "F.Y.R.O.M." and stands for "Former Yugoslav Republic of Macedonia".

And afaik, most european countries name it "Republic of Macedonia".

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Macedonia_naming_dispute
    ~Living is easy with eyes closed, misunderstanding all you see.~
    ~Every damn thing you do in this life, you have to pay for.~

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Roman culture isn't dead man. It's everywhere around you. Check your facts, check your town and check the whole western civilization.

For example, even in English in which i am typing right now, most words come from Latin. But there's much much more, this is just one example.
    Don't bother, mate. I bet his knowledge doesn't reach further than his own town border.

10+ Year Old Account
    Actualy there is not that many words in english that are from latin english is more a combination of mostly angel,celtic saxon, and some other.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Basically after recently watching 300 and playing wow for a few years I realised how spartans and orcs have a similar society.

First of all both are warrior nation/people who train from when they are young to be warriors.

Second of all both hold honor above all else.

They also go against the oposition even if they know they have no chance of winning. Victory or death for both people.
    So the orcs practice pederasty too?

Deleted
    I believe alot of countries have their stories of epic battles that seem pointless to even try to fight.

The Battle of Călugăreni was one of the most important battles in the history of medieval Romania. It took place on 23 August (13 August on old style calendar) 1595 between the Wallachian army led by Michael the Brave and the Ottoman army led by Sinan Pasha. It was part of the Long War, fought between Christian and Ottoman forces at the end of the 16th - beginning of the 17th centuries.

The whole Ottoman forces was estimated at about 100,000 men [1], but not all of their troops were on the battlefield at Calugareni. It seems that about 30,000-40,000 Ottoman soldiers were involved in the battle.[1]

Michael the Brave had in total about 16,000 men [3] and 12 large field cannons, with Transylvanian (Szekler) detachments[4]. Being heavily outnumbered, Michael the Brave strategically positioned his forces near a swampy field (near Neajlov River) that would negate the Ottoman's military superiority.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Battle_...3lug%C4%83reni

It is said Michael The Brave rode into battle without wearing his armor, only his shirt and an 1handed axe in his hand.
    Last edited by mmoca0eed44a6a; 2010-11-14 at 12:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Uzi View Post
    Roman culture isn't dead man. It's everywhere around you. Check your facts, check your town and check the whole western civilization.

For example, even in English in which i am typing right now, most words come from Latin. But there's much much more, this is just one example.
    English is referred to as a Germanic language so I doubt most of the words are latin

The Romans never conquered Germania. The Anglo Saxons who moved over to England came from the northern part of Germany near Denmark
    Last edited by Alraml; 2010-11-14 at 12:53 PM.

Deleted
    The romans actually won. Aren't we all speaking a latin based language right now ?

Will be nice when the orcs finally kill the alliance off thanks to Garrosh.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't think Garrosh's Horde could live in a world without the Alliance

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Pie Eater View Post
    The romans actually won. Aren't we all speaking a latin based language right now ?
    Romans finally lost at around 500 AD (imperial overstretch?). West-Germanic is the source of English, Dutch, Danish, etc. Of course latin also had some influence.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy
    Garrosh wouldn't stand a chance against the gnomes.
    Last edited by Nidua; 2010-11-14 at 01:25 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Lostwood View Post
    Romans finally lost at around 500 AD (imperial overstretch?). West-Germanic is the source of English, Dutch, Danish, etc. Of course latin also had some influence.
    Actually the roman empire continued till the late 1500's it just wasn't called the roman empire.

Wow I really hope not. Spartan men were gay until almost 20 years of age. They'd never seen a woman and didn't know what they were either. I may have to race change my Death Knight..

Deleted
    Actually the roman empire continued till the late 1500's it just wasn't called the roman empire.
    Byzantine Empire, I know. For some reason historians label the fall of the western Roman Empire as the actual ending. Fall of eastern Roman Empire started the Renaissance. You could say the culture never actually went away, despite medieval times.

I'm not sure if this is Cataclysm related
    Last edited by mmoc25e5b9266c; 2010-11-14 at 01:29 PM.

Deleted
    Less fanboy bullshit, more history please.

Quote Originally Posted by Rennor View Post
    Orcs dont use shields >.<
    Half of the orc population (Shamans) would like a word with you.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    But where are the Spartans today , yes thats right their society is dead.

Why because only a fool never retreats!
    Yes but a Spartan never has to.
    Even though they were slaughtered towards the end (along with roughly 7,500 other warriors), they still decimated the invasion force, and thus stopped a huge invasion that would have changed history foreva.

- H

And afterwards what would they do? Live in peace? psshh yea right.

Deleted
    Don't even bother attempting to educate folk on MMO - your hit with stubborn immaturity

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post
    Maybe but the their culture is dead which means it couldn't have been that succesful
    Israel is today's sparta

means the society is not dead :P
    BoomShakalaka