Thread: Orcs = Spartans

Page 19 of 19 FirstFirst ...
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Combatbulter View Post

Why because only a fool never retreats!
    I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees. Ain't that a quote from somewhere? If not, quote it!

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Margrim View Post
    This...is... Ogrimmar!
    I can totes see Garrosh kicking Malfurion down a well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Aquamonkey View Post
    Orc children began warrior training at 6 and were sent off to fight at 12.
    when does an orc reach puberty and when does an orc reach full physical maturity?

Chimpanzees reach puberty at about 7 and are fully adult in size and behaviour by the age of 12... (not meant to be a slur on either species, but aging rates differ between species is all i am saying)

for all we know Elves don't reach puberty until they are 500 years old...

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Warlord Booty View Post
    I'd rather die on my feet, than live on my knees. Ain't that a quote from somewhere? If not, quote it!
    One who retreats gets to both live and stay on his feet.
    seems like the best option.

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Orcs have institutionalized pedophilia? Guess I missed that part of the lore.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kashii View Post
    Orcs have institutionalized pedophilia? Guess I missed that part of the lore.
    http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pederasty
    pederasty is technically ephebophilia, not pedophilia, as it usually begins at the onset of puberty

When someone asks you if you're a god, YOU SAY 'YES'!

Quote Originally Posted by Hardstyler01 View Post
    They're part of Greece? Their descendants still live.

With your logic any old civilization is a failure because they don't stick to their old ways anymore. But that's retarded. The Spartan people live on in Greece, the Roman people live on in southern Europe, the Germanic people live on in northern Europe, etc. Their descendants still live and thus I don't see the failure.

Anyway, I agree with the OP that the Orcish society was based on Spartan militaristic society with a bit of other stuff thrown in.
    Their culture, their traditions are more or less dead, of course they still have descendants, because they were never entirely wiped out. Modern Greece has it's roots in the city state of Athen if you ask me, the Spartan way more or less died a long time ago, otherwise Greece would be far more aggressive on the international scale.Not to mention only because you are descendant from a culture does not make you a part of said culture unless you practice it's traditions.

OT

Orcs resemble ancient Samurai far more.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    when does an orc reach puberty and when does an orc reach full physical maturity?

Chimpanzees reach puberty at about 7 and are fully adult in size and behaviour by the age of 12... (not meant to be a slur on either species, but aging rates differ between species is all i am saying)

for all we know Elves don't reach puberty until they are 500 years old...
    Supposedly, orcs aren't eligible to participate in the Om'riggor (right of adulthood) until they are 20.

Quote Originally Posted by Grubjuice View Post
    pederasty is technically ephebophilia, not pedophilia, as it usually begins at the onset of puberty
    Wow, so weird to think it would be normal for a culture irl. Weird but interesting nonetheless.

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    Basically after recently watching 300 and playing wow for a few years I realised how spartans and orcs have a similar society.

First of all both are warrior nation/people who train from when they are young to be warriors.

Second of all both hold honor above all else.

They also go against the oposition even if they know they have no chance of winning. Victory or death for both people.
    Nah, I would equate their society more to the Mongol Horde than spartans. Hence the name "Horde".

Quote Originally Posted by delus View Post
    Nah, I would equate their society more to the Mongol Horde than spartans. Hence the name "Horde".
    The mongols would own the orcs, just give Subutai command of the army, Subutai, Genghis greatest general!! He directed more than twenty campaigns in which he conquered thirty-two nations and won sixty-five pitched battles, during which he conquered or overran more territory than any other commander in history.

Deleted
    I dont really like orcs but we will see about that.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    No Orcs are not Spartans. Orcs are more like violent drunken rednecks.
    Does that make all humans in wow white supremacist who thinks black people were better as slaves?
    #boycottchina

Quote Originally Posted by steveyboy View Post
    They didn't get wiped out though, there city still stands today...................
    I don't know if you're trolling or not. Seeing your grammar, you probably aren't.

Cities still stand in many places that were obliterated. People define a society, not architecture.