Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Question Rogue backstab/ambush addon/question

I just recently rolled a rogue, and although i've leveled so far (lvl 70) without too much of a hassle, mostly through PvP, one issue is really becoming annoying to me (mostly in PvP, ofc): figuring out where my opponent's back is for ambush / backstab / etc. Now, it's not that i suck, or am not skilled enough to move and do damage at the same time, the thing is, i like to keep my camera zoomed out to the max (with the maxDistance macro) so i can see a big part of the battlefield, and also keep enemy nameplates on. Now, obviously, this is a problem in pvp, because the nameplate of one enemy usually blocks out his entire character, and i can't see where he is facing, unless i zoom in close enough, which i don't really want to do.

So, i am wondering if there's an addon that shows me where an enemy's back is, so i dont have to zoom in. Something like maybe an arrow, or a green zone to show where he's facing, or where his back is. Is there something like this? And if not, how do you other rogues handle this? Is there no other way than either turning nameplates off, or zooming in (which drastically reduces environmental awareness)?
    Signature too large

Turn off name plates?
    or change nameplate size?
    Im not sure how it is that much of an issue to get behind a target....

Quote Originally Posted by laur0511 View Post
    I just recently rolled a rogue, and although i've leveled so far (lvl 70) without too much of a hassle, mostly through PvP, one issue is really becoming annoying to me (mostly in PvP, ofc): figuring out where my opponent's back is for ambush / backstab / etc. Now, it's not that i suck, or am not skilled enough to move and do damage at the same time, the thing is, i like to keep my camera zoomed out to the max (with the maxDistance macro) so i can see a big part of the battlefield, and also keep enemy nameplates on. Now, obviously, this is a problem in pvp, because the nameplate of one enemy usually blocks out his entire character, and i can't see where he is facing, unless i zoom in close enough, which i don't really want to do.

So, i am wondering if there's an addon that shows me where an enemy's back is, so i dont have to zoom in. Something like maybe an arrow, or a green zone to show where he's facing, or where his back is. Is there something like this? And if not, how do you other rogues handle this? Is there no other way than either turning nameplates off, or zooming in (which drastically reduces environmental awareness)?
    Lol... first melee class you played? wot macro for maxDistance? U need to scroll (zoom) in and out and strafe around, gouge, kick and dodge duck and weave, jump and slide.

Quote Originally Posted by Urzus View Post
    Turn off name plates?
    or change nameplate size?
    Im not sure how it is that much of an issue to get behind a target....
    The problem is i don't want to turn the nameplates off, as they're very useful in pvp. If they are off i agree it's easy to get behind a target, but if they are on, and with my camera zoomed as it is, i CAN'T see the target; i'm not really sure you understand the issue, i cannot see my enemy, therefore i can't see where he's facing. Also, with the default blizz nameplates u can't change their size.

---------- Post added 2010-11-16 at 02:41 PM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Bobbojonno View Post
    Lol... first melee class you played? wot macro for maxDistance? U need to scroll (zoom) in and out and strafe around, gouge, kick and dodge duck and weave, jump and slide.
    Actually, yes, it is the 1st melee class i've played (i do have 2 tank classes, but i've never did dps or pvp with them, so no need to get behind stuff).

The macro i use is this /console cameraDistanceMaxFactor 5 . It sets the camera way beyond ur normal "max camera" when u scroll, it's like seing ur char from an airplane.
    Signature too large

Don't listen to these guys. This is and always has been an issue. The only way to know is to have very big zoom. Often I look at the enemy and can not tell if he is with the back or with the front to me. I hate it. Often these look very alike. Don't use the max zoom out. Its impossible to play like that using Backstab.

k not kidding anymore... do you play with ur right button mouse held down all the time? its a good way to maneuvour your character and camera as well as strafe round targets... also use the scroll button to zoom in and out depending on the situation. so try holding down the right mouse button and use the A and D to strafe around.

k not kidding anymore... do you play with ur right button mouse held down all the time? its a good way to maneuvour your character and camera as well as strafe round targets... also use the scroll button to zoom in and out depending on the situation. so try holding down the right mouse button and use the A and D to strafe around.
    I have A and D already binded to strafe left and right, i only turn using the right mouse button, because i need my cursor to change targets and other stuff (been used to that from playing healer, where u can't afford to strafe with ur right mouse button pressed, else u can't target for heals). Also, they way i do it now, is i just go round and round a target (strafing, and with R mouse button for turning so i go in a circle) spamming backstab, hoping that i'm at his back.
    Last edited by laur0511; 2010-11-16 at 03:12 PM.
    Signature too large

ambush is stealthy

you should turn this into a poll

Hmm... well the best tactics would be to go through him if you see that he is facing you and then turn back quickly and then Backstab, or Gouge-> Backstab. In any case, if you play against someone who knows what he is doing he will not let you stay on his back just like that. And you have to have your right mouse button pressed at all times to turn fast enough, otherwise you are not going to make it my man. Just release the RMB from time to time if you want to target something, even better use TAB to switch targets. I can't even start to describe the benefits of TAB target switching. Use it!

I have only every played melee dps so i was quite surprised when a friend who had only played a caster rerolled a rogue and had no idea how to manouver a melee character after playing for so many years... I do think that this is the adjustment you are going through at the moment.

Scroll in and out for Zoom
    Left mouse button to look around
    Finger on right button all the time unless ur looking around or clicking
    Try not to be a clicker
    Use A and D with right mouse button

Quote Originally Posted by surr3a1 View Post
    Hmm... well the best tactics would be to go through him if you see that he is facing you and then turn back quickly and then Backstab, or Gouge-> Backstab. In any case, if you play against someone who knows what he is doing he will not let you stay on his back just like that. And you have to have your right mouse button pressed at all times to turn fast enough, otherwise you are not going to make it my man. Just release the RMB from time to time if you want to target something, even better use TAB to switch targets. I can't even start to describe the benefits of TAB target switching. Use it!
    Yes, like i said, i already do this, strafe and keep RMB pressed to turn in a circle, i was just hoping there's an addon out there or something that can highlight where the opponent's back is, so i don't circle too much. That's basically my main issues, good thing it take ~4 secs to get the energy for backstab and i have time to find his back again.

So, to conclude, it seems to only way to make it a bit easier is to just zoom in more, or turn enemy name plates off.
    Signature too large

Couple different things you could do here. Try not to zoom out so far as there is really no reason for it(If you look around with your mouse). You mentioned that you strafe with A and D. You can strafe if you hold down right click and move left or right. This allows you to maneuver more efficiently because while holding right click you can move your mouse to turn how you like. If you click your spells as a rogue. Don't and it is completely obvious and unefficient. (lol at the rogues who kidney you, and forward and backwards while backstabbing) Another big thing is the client/server lag and at times you'll have to strafe around your opponent spamming backstab because on their screen your not behind them, but you are behind them on yours.

Edit:
    Just saw your above post.

The easiest thing to do is just zoom in a little closer. Name plates are helpful for los'ing people seeing casts, etc. And another key thing to backstabbing is just circle strafing your opponent.

Deleted
    The problem is currently that if the camera is zoomed out far enough the nameplates will "sink" a bit lower, covering the character so you can virtually only see the nameplate. when you zoom in the nameplate correctly positions itself on top of the players head revealing the character and his directions and casting animation.
    I play a healer class though, but it's still annoying that the nameplate does this.
    I would try to maybe emulate the blizzard nameplates into something else with an addon. I've seen in several pve videos that nameplates can be changed this way, however i don't know if they will correctly reveal the character if zoomed out all the way.
    I don't think it's possible to get other directional indicators by addon though. tough luck

10+ Year Old Account
    Can't find the enemies back huh? I got some real fun for you, try to backstab the LK when he is under 10% and starts spinning around in circles, haha!
    Quote Originally Posted by Moon Blade View Post
    There's nothing for casuals to do, beyond pretend they are raiders in LFR.

Quote Originally Posted by Protips View Post
    Couple different things you could do here. Try not to zoom out so far as there is really no reason for it(If you look around with your mouse). You mentioned that you strafe with A and D. You can strafe if you hold down right click and move left or right. This allows you to maneuver more efficiently because while holding right click you can move your mouse to turn how you like. If you click your spells as a rogue. Don't and it is completely obvious and unefficient. (lol at the rogues who kidney you, and forward and backwards while backstabbing) Another big thing is the client/server lag and at times you'll have to strafe around your opponent spamming backstab because on their screen your not behind them, but you are behind them on yours.

Edit:
    Just saw your above post.

The easiest thing to do is just zoom in a little closer. Name plates are helpful for los'ing people seeing casts, etc. And another key thing to backstabbing is just circle strafing your opponent.
    The thing is i do not have TURN binded at all. Normally, A and D are used to turn, and Q and E are used to strafe. Well, i basically changed A and D to be used as strafe, and use Q and E for spells and stuff. I did this a long time ago and i got used to it. Either way, i keep RMB pressed so i turn, because, heck, that's the only way i can turn. So basically, all u said, i already do, it's just really annoying when the camera is zoomed out to the max and you have those goddamn name plates covering everything up.
    Signature too large

ulternatively bind backstab and gouge in macro... so that if your not behind him you will gouge him which tells you where u are and give u time to get behind and backstab....

ulternatively bind backstab and gouge in macro... so that if your not behind him you will gouge him which tells you where u are and give u time to get behind and backstab....
    Well, i got pretty much all the info i wanted out of this whole thread, and basically what i have to do si simply not play the way i used to (with camera zoomed to the max and / or nameplates on). Pretty sad though this is the implementation for rogues, i mean, it's not really skillful to get behind ur enemy and whack him, it's just annoying.
    Signature too large

with regards positioning and manouvering rogues are the toughest in the game...

Try spamming the ability while circling around the target, it should help, also enemy's back is not always where the game displays it, some people have serious lag issues, so you need some circling anyway.

But yeah, it's a pain to pvp with maxed out camera as a rogue

If you are already out of stealth and fighting whoever, a quick gouge and run straight through the person (not around... remember, there is no clipping in WoW), quick 180, and backstab should do the trick. Assuming you are sub, you should be able to backstab right away since you should have slaughter from the shadows talented.

Same goes with after a kidney shot. Just run straight through them.

Or shadowstep if it is up.

Be glad you didn't roll a rogue when mutilate required you to be behind them.