Thread: Server!!

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand

Server!!

Looking for a few extra opinions here. At home I run two servers (One ISA 2006, the other a Domain controller/DHCP/DNS Recurser/Exchange/BESx/IIS7.5). One of them as you can see has a lot of roles, and is starting to show signs of being severely taxed. It runs Windows Server 2008 R2 as a base system, with Active Directory, DHCP, DNS and File Server roles, as well as HyperV with two virtual machines (Both also Server 2k8). The system itself is my old Core2 Duo E8400, Asus P5Q Pro, 4GB DDR2-800.

I'm looking to bump it up to a quad core and doubling the memory, more or less.

Now the question is, should I invest in a Core2 Quad (they seem to STILL be rather expensive despite being old and somewhat outdated) and grab a 4 gig DDR2 kit (Usually a little more expensive than their DDR3 counterparts)?

Or should I replace it with something cheap like an Athlon II X4, and a fresh 8 gigs of DDR3? I do have an extra motherboard lying around (Gigabyte MA770T). Only bad thing about the board itself versus the P5Q is it has 2 less SATA ports (6).

Opinions, or links to sites where I can find a reeeally cheap C2Q are greatly appreciated. <3
    red panda red panda red panda!

If you've got the board, and can do without the SATA ports, go for the Athlon. If you can splash the cash, drop a bit more for a better board that suits your purposes better.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

15+ Year Old Account
    This side of an imaginary line in the sand
    This is the cheapest I have found a Core2 Quad accessable to me:
    http://ncix.com/products/index.php?s...ufacture=Intel
    Q8300, ~$160 CAD. Versus $100 for an Athlon II X4.

Choice in processors is clear, it's RAM I'm having trouble with.

For DDR3, I could get an 8 gig kit of Patriot Sector 5 for ~$125, or two Corsair XMS3 4 gig kits for $70 each. I'm not sure how good Sector 5 sticks are though (if anyone knows, it would be a big help).

For DDR2, $80 for 4 gigs of Kingston Valueram, or 4 gigs of Corsair XMS2.

I've dealt with two different patriot kits before, both DDR2-800 4 gig kits. One works wonderfully (the kit in my server right now). The other I had a bit of trouble with, and it was paired with an AMD CPU. Neither the MA770T or my M4A89GTD have the patriot kit listed under supported...
    red panda red panda red panda!

Honestly, I'd say if you're relying on this machine at all, go with the Athlon, spend the little extra on the Corsair XMS3 (worth it over Patriot), and if you need the extra SATA in future then get a new board which you then just swap every other component you already have into.

DDR3 is worth it over DDR2, and it's approaching the same price now.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7