Poll: Do you think the majority of the playerbase care for lore?

Page 1 of 9
... LastLast
    Deleted

Does The Majority Care For Lore

I was thinking about this...Do you think the majority of WoW players really care for lore? As an RPer I have always held an interest about the lore surrounding the world we play in, however I can't help but feel we're a minority

10+ Year Old Account
    Nope

Quote Originally Posted by Mad_Murdock View Post
    Dictonary, get one!
    Irony at its best ^^^

It's the main reason I enjoy WoW, but I don't RP.

I also don't really care about gear. I just want to be able to personally see the story unfold, and the gear is just a means to that end.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't care for it much at all. I'm all for going against the lore if it means beneficial to us.

I imagine the majority care primarily about the gameplay, though the lore has to feature sufficieintly, or we would not have the bosses to down in the first place.
    I enjoy a good storyline, but realise that in some cases gameplay must come before lore.

Nope, just care about getting to level cap and getting new lewtz

A few of the quests are always fun, but I never read them unless i need to skim over it some on where to find or what i need to kill lol.

Casuals are a big part of this game, casuals don't care for this game. I'd say no, they just enjoy the game and is 'WTF' over theres a Deathwing Guy all of the sudden.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloodKrayze View Post
    Nope, just care about getting to level cap and getting new lewtz

A few of the quests are always fun, but I never read them unless i need to skim over it some on where to find or what i need to kill lol.
    Its sad but this is the mentality of alot of people

Derailed the Cereal Thread

Deleted
    Kinda hard to answer the question bcuz I've NO idea if people in here are interested in lore.

I myself was totally uninterested until a while ago, now I love it!

Quote Originally Posted by bak00777 View Post
    Its sad but this is the mentality of alot of people
    I don't play the game for the story, i enjoy PVP...same reason i play FPS games, I never play the campaign mode, always just hop into the online multiplayer.

I think most people have at least a minor interest in the general storyline, which can generally be gleaned through quests and boss fights, especially since TBC. Even if you don't read quests, you will generally have an idea what is going on through various NPC dialogs, etc.

As for people who care beyond the basic story? I think they are the vast minority.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't really care about it at all. It rarely makes sense, the continuity is invented on the fly, and it's just one silly over-the-top fantasy story with terrible characterisation.

That said, the lore is vital to the game. It's a background level of structure and immersiveness that everyone benefits from, since it makes the world lively, colorful, and fun to exist in. If you strip it away or stop maintaining and polishing it, you end up with a complicated version of Pong.

At the end of the day, it's still more fun to think, "I'm killing an evil undead scientist! Oh crap, he threw sticky goo at me!" than "Significant Enemy 0347a used Ability 034c, but we countered with Player Ability 014aC and successfully proceeded to receive Items 5678 through 5683. Race 02-Class 05-9832746c won all the rolls, though."

So, no, I don't care what they do with the lore, but I do value its continuing effect on the world and gameplay.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBloodKrayze View Post
    I don't play the game for the story, i enjoy PVP...same reason i play FPS games, I never play the campaign mode, always just hop into the online multiplayer.
    If you're that much into PvP, you should stick with FPS games. You're wasting an incredible amount of time and money playing/paying for this game if you have no interest in anything else.

Maybe if the lore wasn't so extremely bad /slash/ half-baked I'd care about it.

I think the majority aren't interested in the lore of WOW, but they'll go with the story that is presented to them, but won't know how or why what is unfolding in front is happening.

Most people I meet (including myself) weren't really all that interested in lore until speaking to someone on vent for a bit too long ended up chatting about it and then found it really interesting. I wouldn't say I know much about lore, but I do enjoy a good discussion about what certain characters have done and how it effects what I'm doing.

Deleted
    I do find the lore appealing, but unfortunately I don't know very much about world of warcraft lore and the history in it. I would like too, but not enough to sit down and read tons of tons of articles about it. A youtube video with the most important WOW lore would be something I would be interested in though.

The majority is likely to say they don't care about lore, but if they stopped being reasonably consistent with it, they would inexplicably like the game less.

Even if you don't read quest text (you should, their writers are pretty darn clever sometimes), aren't the type that's followed around every scripted NPC in cities listening to what they say, skipped past the Lich King cinematic the first time you killed him, and so on - the game wouldn't feel the same without all that stuff in the background of your dragon/orc slaying. I've played games without any semblance of storyline before - and you notice everything feels pointless pretty quick.

10+ Year Old Account
    Its the biggest weapon of wow

10+ Year Old Account
    I do.

Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    If you're that much into PvP, you should stick with FPS games. You're wasting an incredible amount of time and money playing/paying for this game if you have no interest in anything else.
    Not really...so you are saying if you don't care for the lore you are wasting your time? ROFL

Wasting an incredible amount of time/money....I play 2 nights a week, and money....i hear $15/month is big bucks