Poll: What race should my warrior be?

Be advised that this is a public poll: other users can see the choice(s) you selected.

Page 1 of 2
LastLast

Warrior Creation

I will be creating a warrior for the first time since starting WoW back in '05.
    I'm trying to take into account racials, faction, heirlooms, and professions.
    Part of the reason I'm doing this is I want to make a homogenized tanking guide, and I haven't yet played a prot warrior.
    (I'm also going to make a 1-80 no cost prof/gold making guide. Yay!)

Blood Elf: Rage + Silence and Resists
    Tauren: for Stam, Stomp, and possibly herbing racial.
    Orc: Racial for more AP, translated into more initial threat for those iffy pulls. Expertise with axes.
    Trolls: for attacks haste, another threat generating racial methinks.
    Undead: Nice fear break on top of all the other warrior fear breaks.
    Golbin: Attack speed bonus, lulzy racials.

I already know I'll be picking up mining, I thought about picking up blacksmith, I don't have a toon with that yet.
    I already know that i will be picking up Duel spec, one spec will be prot, the other undecided, maybe one of you can convince me arms/fury.

---------- Post added 2010-11-21 at 12:49 PM ----------

Tauren it is.

The Stamina and warstomp are invaluable as a tank. No other racial make up for this. The Undead fear is better for PvP since most fears in raids are spaced out enough all you need is Berserker Rage. And all the other racials are more DPS oriented imo. You don't get enough threat from AP/Haste and the regen from trolls is negligible. BE Silence is nice, but Warstomp works in most situations that the silence will.

15+ Year Old Account
    I dunno if you PvP, and I see youre looking at horde, but gnomes make amazing warriors if you pvp because Escape Artist racial is godsend for dealing with snares and roots

10+ Year Old Account
    Cows to be, they're just epic <3

If you want to make a tank go Tauren. The extra health is invaluable, and war stomp is great for aoe pulls. If you for some weird reason decide to switch to alliance, I highly suggest Dwarf. The Dwarven racial Stoneform is amazing because of the extra 10% armor it gives you; it's like an extra trinket! Also, dwarves have a slight amount more stamina than the other alliance races. The orc and troll racials are good too, but more aimed at dps. Right now and in Cata our threat generation will be just fine, and I don't see a reason to sacrifice EH for unnecessary threat. If you wanna do any pvp, I suppose BE would be one of the best simply because their racial is amazing in pvp. That's all I've got, hope it helps!

Quote Originally Posted by Wooar View Post
    The Stamina and warstomp are invaluable as a tank. No other racial make up for this. The Undead fear is better for PvP since most fears in raids are spaced out enough all you need is Berserker Rage. And all the other racials are more DPS oriented imo. You don't get enough threat from AP/Haste and the regen from trolls is negligible. BE Silence is nice, but Warstomp works in most situations that the silence will.
    sorry for the disagreement.... BUT I think orcs make far better warriors and tanks. the tauren raical is bonus base health, this doesn't include gear and therefore won't benefit from high stamina tank gear. the orc stun reduction can be just as important, if not moreso than the couple hundred extra tauren health. at level 85 stats may scale so you receive a couple thousand extra health, but really this is more of a fixed number, and this amount of health would be a consideration if it was given to a level 80, however 2000-4000 extra health at level 85 (not yet sure what the actual base health of a level 85 will be on live on live) however this is nothing on a level 85 taking 50,000-100,000 dmg hits from a boss. its just as insignificant as a level 80 receiving a couple hundred bonus health from being tauren.

I don't think the 2 second stun is a big deal considering cooldowns and the time it takes to cast it... its extremely negligible, and not a consideration for choosing that race as a tank in my opinion.

the orc receives some of the best dps racials available. blood fury will be equivalent to 30% of an epic level 85 activation trinket when it scales to level 85 (similar to how level 85 ((edit 3: oops, meant level 80 here)) blood fury was 30% attack power of the level 80 epic attack power trinkets)

blood fury:
    level 80 = +340 AP
    level 85 = +1170 AP

not to mention orcs get free expertise for using axes, which tanks need very much.

TL;DR the tauren racials are more of a flat bonus while the orc racials are more of a percentage, which scales much better and doesn't become useless right away

edit: and for someone saying "tanks don't need dps racials" don't bother... dps will always be good for holding aggro or gaining it quicker, whether its in the form of AP, expertise or 15% less stun time = 15% more dps + threat + survivability while stunned

edit 2: I found this post on wowhead...

By Pwntiff on 09/28/2010 at 21:12 (Patch 3.3.5)

----- = 105%
    x

----- = x = 44 770.5
    105%
    so it seems their endurance racial gives only 770 health (I was under the impression it was 2000-4000 extra health extrapolated from peoples guess health scaling from 80 to 85, though those guesses may have included the stamina on gear... ie. blizzard posted health scaling would be a 500% increase, though they meant with gear, not base health)
    Last edited by ungar; 2010-11-21 at 11:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ungar View Post
    sorry for the disagreement.... BUT I think orcs make far better warriors and tanks. the tauren raical is bonus base health, this doesn't include gear and therefore won't benefit from high stamina tank gear. the orc stun reduction can be just as important, if not moreso than the couple hundred extra tauren health. at level 85 stats may scale so you receive a couple thousand extra health, but really this is more of a fixed number, and this amount of health would be a consideration if it was given to a level 80, however 2000-4000 extra health at level 85 (not yet sure what the actual base health of a level 85 will be on live on live) however this is nothing on a level 85 taking 50,000-100,000 dmg hits from a boss. its just as insignificant as a level 80 receiving a couple hundred bonus health from being tauren.

I don't think the 2 second stun is a big deal considering cooldowns and the time it takes to cast it... its extremely negligible, and not a consideration for choosing that race as a tank in my opinion.

the orc receives some of the best dps racials available. blood fury will be equivalent to 30% of an epic level 85 activation trinket when it scales to level 85 (similar to how level 85 blood fury was 30% attack power of the level 80 epic attack power trinkets)

blood fury:
    level 80 = +340 AP
    level 85 = +1170 AP

not to mention orcs get free expertise for using axes, which tanks need very much.

TL;DR the tauren racials are more of a flat bonus while the orc racials are more of a percentage, which scales much better and doesn't become useless right away

edit: and for someone saying "tanks don't need dps racials" don't bother... dps will always be good for holding aggro or gaining it quicker, whether its in the form of AP, expertise or 15% less stun time = 15% more dps + threat + survivability while stunned
    this^ orcs just have the best warrior racials in the horde maybe even the game

10+ Year Old Account
    If I'm not mistaken isn't the extra HP gain for Tauren only their baseline HP? If so then its actually very minuscule. The stomp isn't worth it anymore since warriors already have many stuns it'll just run the DRs shorter and become useless.

I'd say Bloodelf for silence its just as good for tanking as it is for PvP when you need to collect casters together for a good shockwave/cleave. Goblin offers more mobility, but since rage gain has lessened I'd stick with Belf.

Whatever you do, don't pick blood elf. A blood elf warrior is such a disgrace.

Orcs are the best race for warriors, hands down. The extra (base) health increase you get as a tauren is pretty weak and doesn't make any difference, especially in raids. The only thing taurens have on orcs is the war stomp, which is really more of a pvp talent. If you are going to be rolling prot, you will have shockwave for stuns.

All in all, from a tanking PoV, the expertise boost easily surpasses the health boost and war stomp... blood fury is just an extra bonus that you get an an orc on top of that.
    [23:43:22] [P] [85:Bowsjob]: If its between 2 holy pallys its gonna be a gear fight most likely

Deleted
    You COUUUULD just pick a race you ya know.. like the look of.

Deleted
    Orcs are excellent all-rounders and likely the best choice if your choice is to be determined by pure stats.

Ultimately though, I'd just suggest picking the race you like the most.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Walice View Post
    You COUUUULD just pick a race you ya know.. like the look of.
    yup troll the way to go
    you regen while you tank
    healers will thank you !

source: http://forums.wow-europe.com/thread....02502365&sid=1

………………._,,,,,,,,__..............................
    …………,,--~´´`\, `\ , \ . `;-,………………………………………
    ………..// `’~--,_ `\ `\ .`| ,| .`\,…_„……………………………….
    ………..¯¯¯¯¨¨`-,`\ ,|,|_/ /_,--~´/´………………………………...
    ……………….,-´`´„„¨¨¨¨>’´ / ,-‘´\………………………………….
    ……………_,-~` ´º’`¡\. `~-‘´¨-,_,,,-----~~´”””””`~,………………..
    …………../„-~‹´~~^´¯ . . ,/ . . .`` ~~ . . . . . . .`\,_ . ………….
    ……………….( ¯¨ . _,,-·´. .| ,.-· ,-~’´ `’~~----~ .´¨ .`’~,……….. I'm regenerating 5 HP and there's nothing
    ……………….,¨=””” . .`-~-- ´ . . . . . . . \. _. . . .`-,,,,. ``”,>-,.… you can do about it!
    ………………/ ._,-´ .| . . . . . , ,. . . . . . . / /`’~~--,--~”¯_,-‘´\…
    ……………...| . . ,. . `-,. . . . _;;…,,,,,..-´_|,……../¨¨¨¯¯. . . ,)..
    ………………| . ./. . ./ .¨`~~’´,-=~=·~”'´ |´¨|-,\_…..`-,_,,,,,_.,/…
    …………...,~´¨`~-,_ .|……,-‘”----~---~~'´| .|:::::\ ….,(,_ . . .`)….
    …………,/¨¯¨`”~-,_ `/…..,/ ,/ ,/ . ¡ . ./´ . | ,|::::::\~-<,_ .¯¨`;-“….
    …….._…|---., . . .,/¨…../ `\/ ,-~~-|_/ . . | ,|::::::::\,--~´,-· ,/_……
    ……/´,/`’\;¯¨`·-:;›~´…../´. .|,/’ . . . . .`\, /,/’ `-´ ’`-‘-`\`””´-~´_ . ¨¨`\..
    ....,/´ /´ ./ `-,,. ,|…….,/’ . ,/´ . . . . . . .\´´~--,,,,,,,,,--` …....¯¨“"¨¨.
    ,-:´~’´ . /\;~’(_,/……,/’ . . | . . . .›. .,-~´`\_,,_|……………………
    .`’~-,„„_,\.`”/-´……...”-_,,--\,____,,,,.\, .………………………….
    ……………………….i_,.--| . . . . . . .`\,…………………………
    ………………………….¯`’\~~-------~''´\…………………………
    …………………___,,--~´¨¯ \ . . . . . . .|-, ………………………
    ……………….’´¨(´¨¨ . . . . . . \ . . . . . .|-·¹ ……………………...
    …………………..¨¨¨¨¨¯¯¨¨¨¨¨¨ \.,,,__,,,,\,……………………….
    ………………………………._|..,,,___,,,’\_…………………….
    ………………………._,,--~´¨ . . . . . . . . . `~, .………………..
    ………………...-~,=´¨_,,-~ . . . . . . . .___. ._) ………………..
    ……………………¯¨(¯¯ _,,___,,-~~”¯ ….¯¯…………………..
    ……………………….¨¨¨¯……….....................................
    Last edited by mmocea8dfff509; 2010-11-22 at 03:41 PM.

Blademaster
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Pearson View Post
    Orcs are excellent all-rounders and likely the best choice if your choice is to be determined by pure stats.

Ultimately though, I'd just suggest picking the race you like the most.
    I'm going to go with this. Throughout my characters, I have always chosen races based on how it felt to me. I rarely ever play the same race, and genders are in constant flux as well. I try to pick a race/gender combo that just seems to fit whatever character I'm making. To be quite honest, I rarely ever use the racial abilities for any of my characters, except maybe Every Man For Himself in PvP situations.

Night Elves get a 2% chance not to be hit..... pretty big for a tank. Plus shadowmeld is the tits in pvp.

Edit, this is a horde thing. /sadface

Go tauren. Stam > other horde bonuses

If you manage to get a tank axe, the expertise bonus Orcs get for using axes easily outweights the flat +baseline health. Less expertise on gear means more stam. The extra stam on gear will more than likely give you more health than the Tauren racial will, especially at higher gear levels. Warstomp is useful, but situational.

I'd rather go with Orc. Oh wait. I did go with Orc.

As for your Arms/Fury debate, I used to loathe fury. Even while leveling, everyone always told me "Go fury, it's waaaaaaay better for leveling than Arms." Every time I tried speccing into Fury while leveling, I was frustrated by the high miss chance. As Arms, all I had to do was Charge, Rend, Mortal Strike, Overpower, dead. At level cap, I just found Fury to be damn boring. Just mash three buttons constantly and win. Didn't even really matter the order you pressed them in, it ended up close to the same DPS anyway.

However, post 4.0.1, I found Fury a much more enjoyable than it used to be. It's still more of a button mashing spec than Arms, but still fun. Arms, on the other hand, is what some people call the "thinking man's Warrior spec." It's not really that hard to play, but still more thought process than Fury. Charge in, keep Rend up, use Colossus Smash whenever it's up or Sudden Doom procs (note: Colossus Smash isn't available until 81), hit Overpower whenever Taste of Blood triggers (typically, every other Rend tick), use Mortal Strike on cool down, dump rage on Slam, toss out a Heroic Strike whenever you have more rage than you can get rid of with Slam and manage your cool downs. Fury's just a matter of hitting Raging Blow, Blood Thirst, Heroic Strike and watching for Instant Slam procs and managing your cool downs.

Arms is a slow, but hard-hitting spec whereas fury is a fast-hitting spec that just doesn't hit as hard as Arms.

Last I checked, Arms is out DPSing Fury by a hair when played right in Beta. Not really that viable compared to Fury in raids at 80, but you probably won't hit 80 before Cataclysm unless you're just really that motivated.

Last note on Arms: You'll probably want an addon to keep up with everything. Again, it's not a super hard to play spec or anything, but you just have quite a bit to keep up with.
    Quote Originally Posted by Novakhoro View Post
    I recommend shoulder surgery immediately... there's no way you didn't fuck it up with how hard you just reached.

I picked Golbin, cause you'd be the only one in the world to be a Golbin.

---------- Post added 2010-11-22 at 05:36 AM ----------

Quote Originally Posted by Wooar View Post
    warstomp? as a warrior tank? prot warriors need another stun like I need a punch in the face. All it is going to accomplish is to put your shockwave further into DR.

For pvp it's between Blood Elf, Worgen, or Gnome imo. Blood elf and gnome for racials. Worgen because the attack animations are amazing, they do flips when they do special attacks.

I suggest Orc for overall, but it really depends. PvE DPS/tanking, purely PvP, or aesthetics. Also golbin sounds interesting.
    Stay salty my friends.

Even if racials were lame (which thay aren't), you shouls pick up an orc for the look.

I mean... they are ORCS, the very heart of the Horde, their facial expressions are awesome, their animation great.

... and I didn't talk about the epic dancing