Earthquake Physical Damage?

Hi.

I know Earthquake is a spell that has been discussed to death here on the forums, but I don`t come to tell you know underpowered or overpowered I think it is. I merely come here because I noticed something wierd about it.

As I`m sure you read in the title, I`m wondering if Earthquake's damage really is physical. It says so in the tooltip, and I'm wondering if this is just a tooltip bug or not. The numbers that pop up when I use it are yellow, which means it's magical damage, right? The reason I am in doubt is because the spell has gone through countless hotfixes and changes, but the "Physical Damage" has stayed.

Does anyone know the answer to this?

Sorry if this has been answered/disussed elsewhere on the forums, and thanks in advance.

-Hellmakerr

Deleted
    Use brain roll!

On-topic: Jeez, earthquake is an physical attack in pokemon too ya know. Why not in wow, so much ripped off of pokemon like bubblebeam crabs.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Meizor View Post
    Use brain roll!

On-topic: Jeez, earthquake is an physical attack in pokemon too ya know. Why not in wow, so much ripped off of pokemon like bubblebeam crabs.
    Don't forget Solar Beam \o/

Quote Originally Posted by Hellmakerr View Post
    The numbers that pop up when I use it are yellow, which means it's magical damage, right?
    My rogue is slamming his Sinister Strikes as hard as he can, but all those numbers are big and yellow. It's magical damage, right?
    "any type of person converting RL money into WoW is retarded by default." - Choppers
    "That makes all of WoW players retards, since we all pay our monthly fee." - Kenjji

10+ Year Old Account
    warrior slam is also yellow, im sure that isnt physical :P

Quote Originally Posted by Sharaki View Post
    My rogue is slamming his Sinister Strikes as hard as he can, but all those numbers are big and yellow. It's magical damage, right?
    Quote Originally Posted by Baganzai View Post
    warrior slam is also yellow, im sure that isnt physical :P
    Well, good point, but Ele shamans aren`t exactly stacking AP or agility. Making their ultimate spell, the final bonus of the tree, scale with a completely different stat then the rest of our abilties... Sounds pretty counter-productive to me. :/

Deleted
    Surely my ambushes on rogue are spell dmg cus they yellow.

The Patient
    10+ Year Old Account
    All special attacks are yellow, "white damage" is auto attacks, something we don't do at all.

But i have noticed, even though they broke the amount of damage it does, it can affect nature immune mobs now.

---------- Post added 2010-11-28 at 02:53 AM ----------

Well, good point, but Ele shamans aren`t exactly stacking AP or agility. Making their ultimate spell, the final bonus of the tree, scale with a completely different stat then the rest of our abilties... Sounds pretty counter-productive to me. :/
    It's broken, and will scale soon enough with SP, was promised somewhere if i recall

Just because it deals physical damage doesn't mean it won't scale with spellpower.

Quote Originally Posted by GoldfishBowl View Post
    Just because it deals physical damage doesn't mean it won't scale with spellpower.
    Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. I could be wrong, though.

Deleted
    Are you sure about that? I'm pretty sure that's exactly what it means. I could be wrong, though.
    Look at rogue poisons, they deal nature dmg yet they scale with AP

You are wrong.

Yeah just like DK's diseases scales with attack power even though they do magical damage without having a talent that makes it do so.

Warchief
    10+ Year Old Account
    You.

Your avatar.

It made me grin.

Deleted
    Only reason why enha shammies got AP to SP talent bonus is that they use lightning bolt and i think shocks scale with SP too, also flametongue

Ok, so I guess it does indeed scale with Spell Power and is just currently undertuned, then. I don't see the reason to make it physical, though. It could create problems with talents that "Improve Spell damage with X" or "Increases the damage of all nature abilites by X". Making the spell physical doesn`t seem to have any benefits IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by Meizor View Post
    Surely my ambushes on rogue are spell dmg cus they yellow.
    Your envenoms are :P

Quote Originally Posted by Synaxis View Post
    You.
    Your avatar.
    It made me grin.
    &You can test whether it scales with SP or not yourself, use it with and without caster gear on (or enhance to approve/disprove AP scaling).
    Quote Originally Posted by Sirsimeon
    Those are raptors. Raptors are not fish.
    Get out of the water, raptor. You can not breathe there.

You're being hit with the Earth, hence the *Earth*quake. It's not like you're being hit with Lightning or Magic Bolts, of course it's Physical.
    Azrax, Level 85 Gnome Rogue
    Kárnivool, Level 85 Human Priest
    <Ka Pai> - New Zealand based 25 man, 3 day raiding guild. We strive to provide an attractive, enjoyable, and constructive raid environment. Currently 4/8 Heroic Dragon Soul.

---- Currently Retired from Early Dragon Soul Progression, will be back for Mists!! ----

Funny thing about Earthquake:

Last time i used it,before blizzars decided to fuck it up so it didnt scale with anything and so a level 80 would do the same dmg with it as a level 70 w/o any gear on, Earth Elementals were immune to it, yet when i checked the combat log the damage it dealt was listed as physical.
    So i think the damage from EQ should be considered as being both Elemental and "earth/nature" damage.