Page 10 of 10 FirstFirst ...
    Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Profyrion View Post
    Great thread.

Though... I fear that the people who really need this information most aren't the type who read MMO-Champion.
    Seconded, lots of great info to recall from vanilla/BC days

Quote Originally Posted by Fenixhart View Post
    Not only is the opening line more slanted than a crooked old shack, but then there's that Gigantic wall of Stuff.

Hard sell, and I ain't buying.
    you seem pretty clueless, i anxiously await for you to fail at cataclysm.

Quote Originally Posted by beckerz View Post
    TLDR: Guy thinks he's better than other people.
    That's not the vibe I got from this post at all. He's trying to be helpful and I appreciate it. Fact of the matter is, there are a lot of players in the game that didn't start playing until after WotLK came out and chances are those people never (or very very rarely) used their CC abilities. There are a lot of mechanics in Cata that haven't been used since WotLK came out and there are a lot of players that are just not aware of these mechanics. This post is nothing more than an informative post meant to make people more aware of the changes they'll be seeing in dungeons when we start leveling in cata.

Quote Originally Posted by Revrant View Post
    Instead I got an informative post, I am impressed sir, you should submit this to WoW.joystiq.com, it would benefit more eyes.
    Huh, might not be a bad idea.

Of course, gg me, can't figure out how I'd go about doing that, ahaha. /facepalm

Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but to add to the list: Macros can be a man's best friend.

Quote Originally Posted by soulkeeperx View Post
    skull = kill first
    x = kill 2nd
    moon = sheep
    star = sap
    square = hunter trap

The holy truth of CC
    I hope people remember it. And I hope people remember what their sheep/sap/trap buttons do too while I'm at it.

Is Circle going to be the new hex?

Quote Originally Posted by Hypnozis View Post
    Not sure if this was mentioned earlier but to add to the list: Macros can be a man's best friend.
    Ahh, yeah, I was avoiding a lot of the more UI/Macro/Keybind relating content, just to make this more of a general post. As amazing as macros are ((I don't know where I'd be without my LK Tranq shot macro...)), they're something that can come later, and are a valuable tool used as players get more experienced. That's how I see it, anyway.

... They're also a little hard for me to explain, heh. :|

I hope this expansion makes heroics actually hard and that when you see someone with a epic or certain items that you know that maybe just maybe they are a decent player instead of everything given away free like wrath. I enjoyed the game much more before wrath as it was actually difficult and being in one of the better guilds on the server most of us were labeled,"elitelist," because we mini/max and take time to read tactics.

Not reading up on tactics on new heroics and raids are going to cause a lot of wipes for the people in wrath that just facerolled it. I hope that blizzard doesn't nerf any of the raids or heroics and let them actually mean something.

I am glad that I will be running 5-man's all in guild as I am guessing that loot will still be problem for people who still don't know that spirit sucks for mages and locks yet still hit need because it has more stam lol.

And I also dont think he was being a elitelist but nowadays anyone that actually reads up on fights or puts any effort into the game is labeled a elitelist. I will gladly take that label day in and day out instead of the latter.

Deleted
    So if you placed vanilla wow, play the same way you did then!

Quote Originally Posted by unrestDK View Post
    So if you placed vanilla wow, play the same way you did then!
    Provided you haven't gotten REALLY rusty! :P ((I know I have....))

Quote Originally Posted by Daetur View Post
    Provided you haven't gotten REALLY rusty! :P ((I know I have....))
    i have also even though i had an economy size can of WD40 for beta playing :P

Quote Originally Posted by amatrucker View Post
    i have also even though i had an economy size can of WD40 for beta playing :P
    mmmm, economy size... :P

Quote Originally Posted by Resies View Post
    Common sense = game sense
    Common sense isn't the same as Game sense.

Common sense assumes everything is intuitive. That would mean that for all classes, gemming for the Bonuses of every piece of gear you have would be best.

Game sense, however, says otherwise.

i doubt most bad players will ever admit they're underperforming.
    I for one consider myself mediocre at best as far as my skill goes.
    Many people told me before that i'm doing a great job, yet i still don't see myself as great as people generally credit me for.
    Its called self-analysis. Most people will just bash you with "then improve" or whatever but they don't realize how hard it is to improve yourself when others around you are performing sub-par. As long as your group only gives 80% of their all and you're doing 100% you're ok. But the fact that you're doing 100% when others can do 120% means there's room for improvement. Sadly it's not possible to do that 120% unless you raid with people of that caliber, since you cannot compare and see exactly what you are doing wrong.
    Theory-crafting helps a lot in this aspect, but as long as you don't have live comparison, you can't see what exactly you're doing wrong, and can't improve past a point.
    Basically when half the server is performing sub-par its nigh impossible for a person to improve from where it is at that current time. What OP is generally saying is that the past expansion and vanilla was forcing people to strive to be better and as such would help everyone reach a new degree of "skill".
    However the mentality of Wotlk was much more casual-friendly and tried new things,which sadly didn't work the way people had expected.The learning-curve went down, the awareness check is almost non-existent in half the raid encounters and overall performance is minimized. Many people stopped thinking about mechanics or their duty on several encounters, and just thrived to be top dps/hps while many tanks had their job significantly simplified. The fact that for the majority there were free epics and tiers handed down to them for minimal effort (meaning just running heroics repeatedly) didn't help either.

you can only improve as long as you have competitive players to compare yourself to. If there are too few, you will just stagnate indefinitely.
    Perspective is like a coin. It has two faces, but most people fail to see both.

Quote Originally Posted by tankytanktank123 View Post
    you seem pretty clueless, i anxiously await for you to fail at cataclysm.
    You'll be waiting quite a long time I'm afraid.

Quote Originally Posted by Veizz View Post
    cool post, one wrath babies are bad, 2 bads at wrath stay bad forever, <3

---------- Post added 2010-11-23 at 09:27 AM ----------

wrath players are bad fyi
    Between guys like this and class imbalances, im still wondering why people put up with this game. After playing Everquest for 10 years and playing WoW for 4 years, its hard for me to believe that people still prefer this game to games like Everquest, where raid content actually took 50 people in order to take down events...and the events were actually difficult. Where people and guild actually had reputation and there werent a bunch of 12-16 yr old punks spamming chat and making the game bad.

Advice on this thread is pretty obvious. The fact that you have to post it just goes to show the player base of this game.

And for those of you who think cata will stay difficult, your dreaming. They will dumb this expansion down just like the rest. Why? Because the majority of WoW players are mediocre. Do you think Blizzard is willing to lose them to hard content just to keep the "elitists" around? Thats one of the reasons games like EQ did die,they didnt simplify it.

And i do play WoW, just because there is plenty of PVP. The PVE is a joke in this game compared to others.

Quote Originally Posted by Drizzit01 View Post
    Between guys like this and class imbalances, im still wondering why people put up with this game. After playing Everquest for 10 years and playing WoW for 4 years, its hard for me to believe that people still prefer this game to games like Everquest, where raid content actually took 50 people in order to take down events...and the events were actually difficult. Where people and guild actually had reputation and there werent a bunch of 12-16 yr old punks spamming chat and making the game bad.

Advice on this thread is pretty obvious. The fact that you have to post it just goes to show the player base of this game.

And for those of you who think cata will stay difficult, your dreaming. They will dumb this expansion down just like the rest. Why? Because the majority of WoW players are mediocre. Do you think Blizzard is willing to lose them to hard content just to keep the "elitists" around? Thats one of the reasons games like EQ did die,they didnt simplify it.

And i do play WoW, just because there is plenty of PVP. The PVE is a joke in this game compared to others.
    Not to start a big EQ vs WoW war, but I prefer WoW. I simply find it more approachable, and more aesthetically pleasing. For some people, that's not as big of a deal. I get that. They like the playstyle or difficulty or what have you of EQ better. To each their own.

I don't think Cata will STAY difficult. That's really not the point of the OP either. The facts are, it WILL be more difficult than WotLK is right now when it begins, because people will not have the gear or the experience.

But for people who have never needed to learn some of the "common sense" things that were posted, this thread CAN potentially be helpful. Current content just hasn't required some of these skills. Many of the people who are looking at the OP and saying "Oh my god, that is so obvious, it's like reading a children's book! Dumb." are the ones who are "good" enough to already know most of it. But you forget, not everyone has the same level of experience or video game "sense" you do, and may find at least part of it helpful.

And if any single part of the post makes someone even the tiniest bit better, or more thoughtful, then it's done its job.

Excellent post! I do agree that all players regardless of when they started should be reminded of these points.
    Those who do not learn from the past are doomed to repeat it.
    Melodi, Resto Druid