Page 1 of 3
LastLast

Blizzard needs to learn from Disneyland.

At Disneyland, they purposely increase the estimated times you wait in lines for a ride. Why? To displace any dissapointment you would have from waiting in said line if it takes longer than the REAL estimated time, which it sometimes does. They know this could ruin some peoples daysif they are constantly being lied to about wait times as some families like to plan thier day out.

It's been a long time since I have been dissapointed by Blizzards estimated time that servers go live after a patch day, I now know to add 3-5 additional hours to those estimations for most patch days. But what about the people that make it a point to be home to play right when the servers come back up? Some of these patches are quite exciting, so I can understand if someone cuts out of work early, comes home from hanging out with friends a bit earlier than planned, ect. I can understand the frustrations and dissapointment of those players to come home only to wait 3-5 additional hours to enjoy thier hobby.

Why doesn't Blizzard just over estimate? Just tell us that its a big patch, and there will likely be problems implimenting it so don't expect servers to be back up until 3pm, or even 5pm PST. Stop setting expectations that you fail to hit time and time again, it can't be good for business. Right now you might not have to worry about that, but your failure to live up to your expectations every couple of tuesdays will definitley stay in the back of everyones minds when and if a real competitor in the market ever arises. This could be fixed with over estimating, Disney's doing well.

10+ Year Old Account
    Blizzard is Blizzard and always has been Blizzard. Not Disneyland.

they dont care because they know ppl will play anyway, they have no real competition, no other game has come close to wow , maybe when one does they will start being more mindful of pissing ppl off
    "lol uh oh , spelling correction, the sure sign someone is losing an argument "

im sry, but cutting off of work early on patch day isn't the greatest idea.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    always over estimate your time frame, so when you are early you look like a miracle worker.

Quote Originally Posted by Okard View Post
    im sry, but cutting off of work early on patch day isn't the greatest idea.
    No kidding. I was thinking of leaving early, but then thought that even if the servers happen to come up on time, they will be buggy as shit, because Blizzard rushed things when they weren't ready. But then I remember that this is Blizzard, and that they will take the time needed to get the patch implemented correctly, and therefore knew that maintenance wouldn't be done until at least after I get off of work anyways.

If they did that and a patch was released on time, then it would cause massive amount of QQ threads.

"WTF ITS DONE AND SAID IT WOULD BE 5 HOURS, I WOULD HAVE BEEN HOME IF I KNEW"
    "BLIZZARD ARE LIARS"
    "AMAGD Why bliz lie 2 me?! WTF"
    ect.
    I shall die here. Every inch of me shall perish. Every inch, but one. An inch. It is small and it is fragile and it is the only thing in the world worth having. We must never lose it or give it away. We must never let them take it from us.

Deleted
    2 facts about Blizzards maintenance:

1. They never finish patches early or on time.
    2. No matter the delay they are always full of bugs and glitches for 2 extra days.

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    If they did that and a patch was released on time, then it would cause massive amount of QQ threads.

"WTF ITS DONE AND SAID IT WOULD BE 5 HOURS, I WOULD HAVE BEEN HOME IF I KNEW"
    "BLIZZARD ARE LIARS"
    ect.
    It's a Lose-Lose situation for Blizzard.

If I were them, I just say fuck everyone and not even post when maintenance starts or ends, and just do it when they want to. I mean the QQ would be the same if they did that as to the amount of QQ there is now for PLANNED maintenance. I mean, damn, people are a bunch of whiny b*******. Even if Blizzard did everything 100% perfect, people would still find something to complain about. That is how sad our world is...

Quote Originally Posted by Abandon View Post
    That one actually made me laugh, thank you good sir and/ or madam!

why waste time complaining about something you have no control over, if you want to make it better get a job at blizzard

lol I am watching The Guild again.. fantastic show, very funny! I would rather have it be extended then try to log in right when they said we could and have even MORE glitches and issues to deal with.
    There ARE females that play this game.. I am one of them. Guys say, "chicks don't play wow." Then they hear us in ventrilo and it's "ZOMG GIIIIIIRL!!!" *leg hump*. "It's a voice changer." Buddy, if you can't tell the difference between a female, and a voice changer, get the hell out of the command center.

10+ Year Old Account
    It's more like you go to Disneyland, only to see a "Closed for Maintenance" sign on a ride you wanted to go on. It says it'll be open this afternoon, though.

You come back that afternoon, and there's a new sign, saying "Apologies, repairs are taking longer than expected, but customer safety must be our primary concern. We should be open at 5pm"

Are you really saying you'd rather they just opened the ride despite it being broken, or would you rather they take the time to fix it properly?

Quote Originally Posted by twizter
    always over estimate your time frame, so when you are early you look like a miracle worker.
    There's a reason nobody does this in the real world. When you finish early, you've now set a new expectation that you will always be able to finish that early. You said it would take 7 hours, you were done in 3. When you get asked to do it again, and say "It'll take 7 hours", the first thing your client/boss says is "last time it only took you 3 hours, what's the deal?"

Now they're thinking you're just lying to them, making up numbers to make yourself falsely seem better. And, if you fail to meet that new 3 hour deadline you set, they'll think it's just because you called them on it so you're delaying it artificially, wasting their time on purpose.

In the real world, you say "Assuming everything goes right, X hours". And then when something doesn't go right, you've got a clear reason for the delay. Lying to your boss/customers to defraud them into thinking you're better than you are works fine, up until you keep setting that long deadline and beating it (why does he keep saying it'll take longer?) or they get a second quote from someone who gives them an accurate timeline, the time you'd have finished it in yourself if you'd been honest the first time around.

10+ Year Old Account
    You should know better, 3.1 anyone? This always happens, regardless of whether or not you want to pretend it doesn't. The ONLY patch where it didn't happen is ICC.

Also, remember - this is the BIGGEST PATCH EVER, they're practically releasing a new game. Give em a little break (not much though cause we've already been waiting far too long).

tl;dr: The last year has been one long patch day, a few more hours won't make a difference.

im 90% sure they would've over estimated, but the fact is stuff happens, and when that stuff happens it might take longer than anticipated. You still wouldve thrown a tantrum if Blizz had turned around and said oh yeah you wont be able to play ALL DAY on the 23rd, just to cover themselves, so just go and do something else until the servers are up.

High Overlord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Endus View Post
    Are you really saying you'd rather they just opened the ride despite it being broken, or would you rather they take the time to fix it properly?
    I would rather have them FIX and OPEN the ride on time ... You paid close to $100 for a fucking ticket and rides are closed? I'd fucking sue them if they wouldn't refund me the money in situation like that ...
    but who cares to sue Blizz over some $15 a month ...

It's called learning from the past. Blizzard obviously has a problem with that, so it's up to you the customers to figure that part out on your own. Trick me once, shame on you. Trick me twice, shame on me.

Now in Blizzard maintenance day terms. Trick me 50 times and I'm a naive buffoon that deserved it.

I literally just said this to my friend over Skype (minus the Disneyland comparison) xD It is definitely frustrating to have a time set in your head, only to log on and see it has been extended even more.

Well, at least they're not bumping it up by 1 hour increments (that I've seen, haven't been following super closely though). 11->1->5, those are decent jumps.

Any long-time player knows, though, that Patch Tuesdays are best to treat as off days. If the game comes up, great. If not, you weren't planning on it anyways. :P

Quote Originally Posted by Maeleena View Post
    It's a Lose-Lose situation for Blizzard. I mean the QQ would be the same if they did that as to the amount of QQ there is now for PLANNED maintenance. I mean, damn, people are a bunch of whiny b*******. Even if Blizzard did everything 100% perfect, people would still find something to complain about. That is how sad our world is...
    So then why get upset about it? If someone wants to cry about the game they play not being available, that is an issue between themselves and Blizzard. Why should any of us get involved?