Thread: Mage Portals

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst
LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by ralphie View Post
    I gave them out for free.
    Me to. Every time a mage yelled in Dal trying to sell I'd yell back "Free portals - avoid the greedy mages!"
    Quote Originally Posted by Lansworthy
    Deathwing will come and go RAWR RAWR IM A DWAGON
    Quote Originally Posted by DirtyCasual View Post
    There's no point in saying this, even if you slap them upside down and inside out with the truth, the tin foil hat brigade will continue to believe the opposite.

Quote Originally Posted by flargen View Post
    There's no anger involved. I just like to mess little things like this up for opportunistic jerks.

Because no matter what, short of dropping everything you are doing, porting somewhere just to port somebody, then running back to what you were doing, the only real cost involved is the cost of the reagent, which is, at most, 20 silver. Charging somebody 20g for doing nothing besides taking ~10 seconds to use a <20s reagent simply because the game changed is nothing more than taking advantage of somebody because your class happens to have the ability to help people get around. By all means, if you're physically going to people to port them... charge them. But I find charging somebody an exorbitant (compared to the cost) amount of money to stand in a place and click a button to be utterly absurd.

And if enough people get ports for free that it becomes assumed it will be free always? Well that's just hilarious and I would welcome it.
    Sounds like you've got some frustration in you, pal. Take slow breaths.

There's no anger involved. I just like to mess little things like this up for opportunistic jerks.
    Fair enough on the anger, but I still can't see how someone is a jerk for taking advantage of a service they're capable of providing. I don't see it as any different than charging 20 gold for a gem cut or an enchant. If someone doesn't desire the service for that fee, they're welcome to either find someone charging less, or forgo the service altogether.
    Because no matter what, short of dropping everything you are doing, porting somewhere just to port somebody, then running back to what you were doing, the only real cost involved is the cost of the reagent, which is, at most, 20 silver. Charging somebody 20g for doing nothing besides taking ~10 seconds to use a <20s reagent simply because the game changed is nothing more than taking advantage of somebody because your class happens to have the ability to help people get around. By all means, if you're physically going to people to port them... charge them. But I find charging somebody an exorbitant (compared to the cost) amount of money to stand in a place and click a button to be utterly absurd.
    Again, I see it as analogous to cutting a gem or doing an enchant. I have something that someone else desires - I am likely to request that they pay me a sum that they're willing to pay.

Quote Originally Posted by unholytestament View Post
    What you call being an asshole I call taking advantage of lazy morons.

Not that I'm disagreeing with you.
    True, normally I'm all for exploiting lazy people. The materials market on the AH is largely built on the backs of lazy people. But, in this case, I find the "markup" on the reagent to be absurd, so I'm engaging in minor subterfuge against other mages.

For the lulz, of course. The nasty tells are fucking hilarious.

My mage offered free portals but would take a tip, and most people did tip. I made between 3500 and 4000g in a matter of 4 hours. One guy tipped me 1000g for some reason

I could have kept at it, but decided to take a break

For the lulz, of course. The nasty tells are fucking hilarious.
    This reason I can buy. Trolling is funny to me.

However, I think it's pretty disingenuous to paint it as anything other than trolling...

I also gave some away from free. I already have a lot of gold, but the satisfaction of knowing im pissing off every other mage in my faction is priceless.

Just a thought. All you anti-fee mages...how many of you do craftables for random people for free without charging? Some reason I expect that answer to be very low.

Everything is worth what its purchaser will pay for it. If portals go for 20g, then why not sell them for 20g?

You ask for more? Then come, traveler, to the Whispering Deep, where only the mad walk.
    Raid Idea: The Whispering Deep and Ny'alotha

Quote Originally Posted by Ihnasir View Post
    Umbra - you are a god.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    Again, I see it as analogous to cutting a gem or doing an enchant. I have something that someone else desires - I am likely to request that they pay me a sum that they're willing to pay.
    There's a key difference, though. An enchant or gem cut requires quite a bit of time and monetary investment by the person performing the service. They had to level the profession and obtain the recipe, which could be something as simple as buying it from a trainer, all the way to getting a rare drop or having a rep at exalted. There is always a component of time and money investment when paying for a profession-related service.

We get portals as a byproduct of leveling our class. The only thing we have to do is buy reagents. It's not even something like rogues, where they have to go out of their way to level lockpicking. All we have to do is buy the spells from a trainer that's almost always right by a mage trainer anyway.

I stole my pocket mage and offered her glory achievement runs. we went everywhere i wanted that night. and also did 4 heroics and got the achievements for all of them.

Quote Originally Posted by Spectral View Post
    This reason I can buy. Trolling is funny to me.

However, I think it's pretty disingenuous to paint it as anything other than trolling...
    I never did, really. I specifically said I'm doing it to undermine other mages who are taking advantage of the situation. I think the "trolling" brush is far too broad these days, but if you want to call it that, then I am doing it to troll other mages, with my reasoning being that I find the gouging to be ridiculous.

Quote Originally Posted by atrixx View Post
    Just a thought. All you anti-fee mages...how many of you do craftables for random people for free without charging? Some reason I expect that answer to be very low.
    If they bring me mats and they come to me? Sure, I'll do it for free.

Any mage who tries to charge me more than 10g for a portal gets put into my badapples mod so I can later refuse to tank/heal/summon them in the future unless they pay the same ridiculous price they wanted for the port.

Of course I also enjoy hoping on my mage and undercutting them every chance I get.

Try this next time. Buy the reagent and bring it to the mage. More often then not the mage will just make you the portal as this will prove you are not some inconsiderate noob.

There's a key difference, though. An enchant or gem cut requires quite a bit of time and monetary investment by the person performing the service. They had to level the profession and obtain the recipe, which could be something as simple as buying it from a trainer, all the way to getting a rare drop or having a rep at exalted. There is always a component of time and money investment when paying for a profession-related service.

We get portals as a byproduct of leveling our class. The only thing we have to do is buy reagents. It's not even something like rogues, where they have to go out of their way to level lockpicking. All we have to do is buy the spells from a trainer that's almost always right by a mage trainer anyway.
    I don't understand why someone hasn't put this guy in his place. Free market baby! You must live in some third world country still trading chickens for eggs! People make a profit from people who are willing or capable of paying. You can't pay or not willing, then find a different source. Only people who thinks like you run around whining because someone else had the bright idea to make a few gold from a service they posses.

BTW you have to level and train a mage in order to get portals. So you can take that BS about it only cost reagents and stuff it.

Bloodsail Admiral
    10+ Year Old Account
    I didn't port anyone since I was busy asploring. I stopped by Dal to see how many people were stranded there and got a random invite to a raid group with at least 15 people in it...all waiting for the raid leader, a mage, to make a port to Stormwind lol. He was porting everyone for free. I didn't see one person advertising portals for a fee yesterday but will expect it later on. I never ask for a tip but gladly accept any open trades. When they whisper asking how much I tell them that it doesn't matter and usually end up with a decent chunk of change anyways.

Quote Originally Posted by Revrant View Post
    Wasting 15 minutes on a missed boat isn't lazy, it's asinine, so is charging people stunning fees.
    Well maybe next time Blizzard should warn us!

Oh, wait...

Quote Originally Posted by xoneal View Post
    I don't understand why someone hasn't put this guy in his place. Free market baby! You must live in some third world country still trading chickens for eggs! People make a profit from people who are willing or capable of paying. You can't pay or not willing, then find a different source. Only people who thinks like you run around whining because someone else had the bright idea to make a few gold from a service they posses.

BTW you have to level and train a mage in order to get portals. So you can take that BS about it only cost reagents and stuff it.
    Nobody has put him in his place because he's right and unlike you has some good moral values. This whole idea is not bright at all, charging people stuck in dalaran who didnt know portals from there no longer working. Its called exploitation and it doesnt take a genius.

Besides, you said it yourself - free market, baby. Your price is 20g, his is 0g, deal with it.

Lol had a guildie who sat in dal opening portals where they used to be, and waited for the QQ to begin. It got to be pretty funny.

Quote Originally Posted by boseguy22 View Post
    Lol had a guildie who sat in dal opening portals where they used to be, and waited for the QQ to begin. It got to be pretty funny.
    I wish I had thought of that...