I don't like the idea, no matter how comfortable they can be, the thought of being forced to wear noise-dampening phones just to be able to sit by the computer.

My computer, while not silent anymore, is near-silent. (Damn you Noctua NH-D14 for ruining my quiet PC!)
    It's very tolerable, and if I run all the fans on lowest RPM, I barely hear it still, meaning I can sleep next to it and hear cats two houses away as louder than my comp.

Tbf, most of the time I don't notice the sound of my graphic card even when gaming. Just doesn't get hot enough. Folding however? Heh, that's a different story.

Turned on GPU folding again so I could get some better temperatures in the room. 'Twas a lil' cold here.

10+ Year Old Account
    i think i'll maybe give that a blast over winter, i'm "mostly" nocturnal, and i get cheaper electric at night too, but wonder what the electric cost of folding would be compared to thi shitty heaters in my flat .. hmm

my pc is mostly kinda silent, i tend to have headphones on most of the time anyway, noisiest part is the psu

10+ Year Old Account
    I can see how a GTX560 Ti would be dead silent.
    Heck I'm wondering how low-profile solutions haven't come out for that particular chip yet.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

15+ Year Old Account
    Well it's not like I'm forced to wear headphones, I would use them anyway when I'm at my pc. The sound doesn't really bother me unless I'm trying to desperately sleep or something .

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I can see how a GTX560 Ti would be dead silent.
    Heck I'm wondering how low-profile solutions haven't come out for that particular chip yet.
    Fermi!

I'm really starting to move all my preference over to AMD Graphics for the time being. nVidia doesn't match up at this current time in the market, or so I feel.
    But I'm sure Kepler is actually a good architecture. (Not sarcasm)

So I'm wondering getting a new and preferably distinctly larger monitor for my computer. Using the BenQ 21.5" if memory serves me right.

Any suggestions? I see the Dell Ultrasharp 24" is on discount right now, but mind you it's still twice as expensive as a 24" version of what I'm already using...

Most of the IPS monitors are quite expensive. The dell ones are great though. I have the U3011 and I love it.

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    So I'm wondering getting a new and preferably distinctly larger monitor for my computer. Using the BenQ 21.5" if memory serves me right.

Any suggestions? I see the Dell Ultrasharp 24" is on discount right now, but mind you it's still twice as expensive as a 24" version of what I'm already using...
    Which 24"? The 2410 is fantastic, the 2412M isn't worth the price unless you desperately want a 24" 16:10.
    I like the PA246Q from ASUS.

Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    Which 24"? The 2410 is fantastic, the 2412M isn't worth the price unless you desperately want a 24" 16:10.
    I like the PA246Q from ASUS.
    Didn't know there was more than one. My fail shall be mourned.

Neither of the first two BenQ models seem to exist in the list I'm looking at. And the Asus... welp, it costs more than the Dell Ultrasharp!

Didn't know there was more than one. My fail shall be mourned.

Neither of the first two BenQ models seem to exist in the list I'm looking at. And the Asus... welp, it costs more than the Dell Ultrasharp!
    BenQ aren't horrible as far as TNs go. But TN is, once you start noticing it. Sitting in front of a 14" atm with different shades in a monochrome background isn't as ftw asitsounds. I personally think that displays are something that are more worth the investments than say, a tad newer GPU for instance.
    Or a new GPU at all. Not only are you supposed to have your display for a long time; when you have all that awesome hardware, and your imagequality is poop - can you really enjoy it?
    I think that while investing more money for the sake of assuming more money = better quality isn't true at all, spending money for quality is okay. But quality doesn't have to cost you.
    The four things you use to interact with your computer are things that I personally think should be bought as quality.
    The two things you directly use to immerse yourself with a computer, being mouse/keyboard. These don't have to be expensive to get quality.
    The two things you directly receive feedback from the computer, display and sound, are usually more expensive, esp the former. "if you do it right".

While all this is subjective and my opinions; what good is wanting high FPS at high settings to make things look good if they don't actually do look good?
    Ergonomics, strain and comfort as well as build-quality, durability and true (visual/audio) representation are what I look for in these parts. /shrug.

I feel that inexpensive TNs are cheap rather than inexpensive, and are expendable in a degree IPSpanels are not.

10+ Year Old Account
    I don't know what's wrong with a good ol' LCD...I'm expecting my 120hz Samsung 2233RZ to last for quite a while with it's color quality.

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    I don't know what's wrong with a good ol' LCD...I'm expecting my 120hz Samsung 2233RZ to last for quite a while with it's color quality.
    LCD being CCFL? It's still a TN-panel. :] LCD/CCFL are only the backlight, not the paneltype.

I don't disagree at all. But I'm on the fence about spending too much money right now, so while I do want a good monitor I'm hoping to scout some good alternatives.

I don't disagree at all. But I'm on the fence about spending too much money right now, so while I do want a good monitor I'm hoping to scout some good alternatives.
    Consider some *shudder* MVA or PVA-panels then. I hear Eizo makes good ones. Better blackness than IPS, but a lot slower, allegedly. Better than TN, but I'm not sure I'd rather have one.

I feel that if you don't want to sink so much money into a display, then do yourself a favour and don't spend the money at all. It'd be an upgrade for sure, but like I said, it'd make your purchase feel more expendable, as that screen wouldn't last you as long as the IPS would. Not only because of price, but because you'd be looking to upgrade that one sooner.

That I see too. There's a reason I'm still on the fence, as opposed to sitting here with a small half-dozen monitors already present. :P

That I see too. There's a reason I'm still on the fence, as opposed to sitting here with a small half-dozen monitors already present. :P
    Either do it properly and have your wallet hurt for a while, until you learn loving it and appreciating it.
    -or-
    Buy a display that you will know to be sub-par every time you hit the powerswitch.
    -or-
    Buy the good one when you feel you can really justify it. Upgrading for the sake of wanting something new by itself is bad. Show restraint.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisgoat View Post
    LCD being CCFL? It's still a TN-panel. :] LCD/CCFL are only the backlight, not the paneltype.
    What the fark? BRB I need to do a whole lot of reading about how monitors work.

Case: Cooler Master Elite 370
    Processor: i5-2500k @ 4.6
    CPU cooler: Thermaltake Contac 29
    GPU: HIS 6950 IceQ X
    PSU: OCZ StealthXStream 2 600W
    Ram: GoodRam 2x2GB DDR3-1333 CL9
    HDD: WD 5000AAKX
    Motherboard: AsRock P67 pro3 B3

Anyone know about the Dell Ultrasharp u2312hm?