10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    Hehe. Congratulations, Deltrus! Now pick up some sleeves and do some workin' yourself on the cables to make them extra pretty! Pretty please?
    actually i would avoid that, unless you are manually sleeving the stock cables that came with your PSU, i was using the ModRight brand sleeved extensions and they have all failed, i had one of the 24pin wires fray out of the socket, and i found that the full load stuttering issues with my GPUs was caused by the sleeved extentions not delivering power correctly

Just got my GTX 590 , this thing is a beast. Too bad I had to underclock my CPU for it though.
    Playing since 2007.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    actually i would avoid that, unless you are manually sleeving the stock cables that came with your PSU, i was using the ModRight brand sleeved extensions and they have all failed, i had one of the 24pin wires fray out of the socket, and i found that the full load stuttering issues with my GPUs was caused by the sleeved extentions not delivering power correctly
    I don't bullshit around with extensions, I'm thinking full-on sleeving stock cables!

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    The Asus MARS II would like to have a word with them. :P

@Drunkenvalley, I'm considering braiding my cables more, though for the most part they are pretty exceptional anyways.

I know that I really want to buy some all black SATA cables right about now.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Heh. I personally want to do some sleeving on the new PSU when I can get it.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Nab View Post
    Just got my GTX 590 , this thing is a beast. Too bad I had to underclock my CPU for it though.
    Why underclock?
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    Why underclock?
    My power supply won't handle the power consumption if I have left the CPU at 4.2 Ghz.
    Playing since 2007.

Titan
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DeltrusDisc View Post
    The Asus MARS II would like to have a word with them. :P

@Drunkenvalley, I'm considering braiding my cables more, though for the most part they are pretty exceptional anyways.

I know that I really want to buy some all black SATA cables right about now.
    I wouldn't consider a card that is limited in availability as being better then a new card that is widely available on the market. If the 7970 really does trump the 6990 or GTX590 as a single GPU, then it shows you how much further ahead AMD is with pushing graphics technology, meanwhile pushing a die shrink out the door on their next generation of cards. I will wait and see what the benchmarks look like compared to the other top end cards available right now before making judgement though.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Rennadrel View Post
    If the 7970 really does trump the 6990 or GTX590 as a single GPU, then it shows you how much further ahead AMD is with pushing graphics technology, meanwhile pushing a die shrink out the door on their next generation of cards. I will wait and see what the benchmarks look like compared to the other top end cards available right now before making judgement though.
    They are not claiming that the 7970 will beat the 590/6990 (also, reviews are already out everywhere and we know it's far from beating them). They're just saying that with the 7970 they now also have the single-GPU crown as well.

AMD's ahead of the curve for the time being on graphics card it seems, but the price of HD 7970 sounds a bit daunting. Stilll, it roughly matches the price of the GTX 580 3GB edition.

Are we going to have to wait until January to find out how much cheaper the 7950 will be and how the 7950 compares to the 6970? :<

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    I can't wait to see how the GTX 680 fairs against the 7970.

Looks like I might be buying a nice new 1080p monitor. ;p
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

Quote Originally Posted by Drunkenvalley View Post
    AMD's ahead of the curve for the time being on graphics card it seems, but the price of HD 7970 sounds a bit daunting. Stilll, it roughly matches the price of the GTX 580 3GB edition.
    It's still only 80-90% of the price of the GTX 580 1.5GiB when it was released; In Sweden that price was 5000 SEK to 5500 SEK (advised price setting. Or 726.63 USD to 799.30 USD in Sweden).
    You pay a price premium to have the best GPU on the market. Which it is, at least in the gaming performance part.

And they have held the crown since Nov 2009. HD5870, then HD5970, then HD6990. And now they really didn't take it from themselves, as much as laying up the groundworks for the HD7990.

How the GTX 680 fares against the HD7970? We don't know just yet of course. I expect them to be quite a bit less powerful when released compared to what they are claiming now, due to their history. :P
    (AMD lies while nVidia thinks them wanting something guarantees it will happen)
    In other words, the GTX 780 will be what they claim the GTX 680 to be (á la GTX 400 series and 500 series, and the marginal improvements in generations past). :P
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Synthaxx View Post
    Honestly, it's been history for a great many generations that Nvidia's cards take several months of driver releases before they even compete. Once they do start competing, we see their top single GPU card beating every other single GPU card out there.
    Hm. While I generally dislike both companies drivers, and they both have slow starts with their drivers, saying that their top single GPU was beating anything out there isn't a fair comparison. A true one, but not fair.
    The HD5870 had such a long headstart, and it was crushing the opposition between its release and when nVidia finally rolled out their GTX 480, and it came in a very limited supply. So while AMD dominated the market alone in the high-end segment between September (HD5870), and when the HD5970 came (November, which was the date they talked about in the blog, meaning they don't count the single GPUs if they cannot beat the dual-GPUs) until April 12th when the GTX 480 was released (but wasn't availible to the masses until a few months later). (And to be fair, AMD had not expected the bull rush to get the HD5800 series so they were too lacking in supply)

And even when the GTX 480 was released, it cost a lot more money then than what the HD5870 cost when the HD5870 was new - whom had dropped in price by then. GTX 480 was also just an improvement by ~10-15% at most in games.
    It also used twice amount the power. And it cost almost 50% more than the HD5870 (as new, in Sweden at least. I didn't track global prices at this time).
    You could run two HD5870 and your overall power-draw would still be 4-5% less than the same rig with a single GTX 480.
    You could buy a HD5970 for less or about the same as a GTX 480 - and draw 10-15% less power than a single GTX 480.

I claim that despite the GTX 480 being more powerful, it was not the full story. nVidias rise came with the GTX 500-series, where the powerdraw, while still stupidly high (but lower), still gathered enough performance so that you could overlook it.

I hope they've learned their lesson. As I've started putting money aside for two GTX 680s already. :P
    &nbsp;

Quote Originally Posted by Aiur View Post
    Surely that 6/8 pin will go behind the motherboard?!
    Having the same problem with mine. Pisses me off...I'm like 2cm short and it's just...ugly. Makes my 570 rage. Oh well, at least it's not ALL the cables that are free.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I hope they've learned their lesson. As I've started putting money aside for two GTX 680s already. :P
    The really daunting thing for me is that the HD6970 came out at $350-400 and GTX580 was at $500+ - following this pattern, if the HD7970 is costing $550+ then what the HELL is a GTX680 going to cost?

A notable point brought up on OCN I fully agree with:
    What is wrong with people that say "$550 is justifiable because it's faster than the 580"... No, it's not.
    If you keep raising prices just because it's faster, by the year 2020 we will be spending 1000+ dollars on single gpu cards.
    Prices need to stay the same, or even LOWER over time. Not get more expensive. The 7970 should cost 350.
    Then the 680, if it's faster, should be priced at 400 etc. Or perhaps even at 350 because the 7970 dropped to 300.
    There's a reason there are so many console gamers, ffs. A god **** video card is the same price as TWO consoles.
    And that's the USD price, god f**king knows what it is in places like EU and NZ/AU.

Hmm, this really needs it's own thread: http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...3#post14801913
    Last edited by Xuvial; 2011-12-25 at 10:27 PM.
    WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

Quote Originally Posted by Xuvial View Post
    The really daunting thing for me is that the HD6970 came out at $350-400 and GTX580 was at $500+ - following this pattern, if the HD7970 is costing $550+ then what the HELL is a GTX680 going to cost?
    I agree with your sentiment, but I need to correct your pricing. SweClockers says AMD says recommended price is 499 Eur, wheras the GTX 580 was 549Eur, I believe (sourceless)? Confirmation please. Wikipedia says 499USD, which should be = 499 eur as well (I know it doesn't convert to this, but this is the real world, and it's not as cheap here.)

However. The GTX 580 was released at the same price as the GTX 480 was, instead of dropping to the price the GTX 480 had become. Meaning this is rule rather than an exception.
    "should be" less expensive.. Yea, sure, everything should be. But it's not like it gets more expensive either; Just more expensive coming from AMD. The last two fastest GPUs came with the same 499USD pricetag, and then it was "justifiable because it was faster than the 480" or "(..) the 5870".

Yea, we don't dictate the prices. Which is a shame. People will still buy it faster than the supply, meaning according to supply and demand, it's priced correctly. It will also unlikely cost 499USD in the stores, as they will be price-fighting. Some will put up +25% of that to make extra profit (bestbuy) but some will actually lower the price below recommended price to get more people to buy from them by increasing profits through quantities.

However.
    I still agree with you, that it's a sad development, and one I'd rather not see. But the high-end GPUs aren't actually winning them any money, only prestige.
    &nbsp;

I have a 1986 orginal commadore gaming case that includes. a MSI Z68-A motherboard. Two GTX 560 with 2g memory. I5 2500k 3.40ghz quad core processor. 8g of gskill ram. Will post pictures soon. The fan on the side of my case has a 470mm fan on it. Its massive. Also it's all for under 630$.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/864/img0765a.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/img0766wo.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/img0767yf.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img0763j.jpg/

my computer. would have a picture of the inside. Just to many wires.
    Last edited by IceWarrior; 2011-12-27 at 02:41 AM.

If Nvidia can get anywhere near the same benefit out of the 28nm fab then they'll be back on top. Whether that's reflected in a price-hike, or whether Nvidia will stop gouging its customers, remains to be seen.

Unless they bring a nice midrange card with a good chunk of memory to the table, then I'll stick with my 470(s). I might get a couple of the 560 448s or some 570s (the 2.5Gb ones, if I decide to hop up to multiscreen gaming) when they drop in price.

Quote Originally Posted by IceWarrior View Post
    I have a 1986 orginal commadore gaming case that includes. a MSI Z68-A motherboard. Two GTX 560 with 2g memory. I5 2500k 3.40ghz quad core processor. 8g of gskill ram. Will post pictures soon. The fan on the side of my case has a 470mm fan on it. Its massive. Also it's all for under 630$.

http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/864/img0765a.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/11/img0766wo.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/515/img0767yf.jpg/
    http://imageshack.us/photo/my-images/252/img0763j.jpg/

my computer. would have a picture of the inside. Just to many wires.
    Go find a ruler or measuring tape.
    5800X | XFX 7900XTX | Prime X570 Pro | 32GB | 990Pro + SN850 2TB | Define 7

Obviously nVidia will be "back on top". As will AMD. That's how it's been for a while now.

As far as midrange, if the GK104 (Think "GTX 660") gets released, it will likely be a midranged card with more power than a GTX 580.
    &nbsp;