Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    He probably took the i7 for the higher out the box clock speed, but I do agree he could have dropped down to the i5 to get a better GPU. It's pretty clear by the build that we didn't help set up the part list.

What are those lock things on the front btw? Curious.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    thought this looked neat with the white lights added:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Arbiter View Post

What are those lock things on the front btw? Curious.

hard drive hot swap bays

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Cyanotical View Post
    hard drive hot swap bays
    Oh duh...think it's been so long since I've seen hot swap bays in that fashion lol.
    | Fractal Design Define R5 White | Intel i7-4790K CPU | Corsair H100i Cooler | 16GB G.Skill Ripsaws X 1600Mhz |
    | MSI Gaming 6G GTX 980ti | Samsung 850 Pro 256GB SSD | Seagate Barracuda 1TB HDD | Seagate Barracuda 3TB HDD |

10+ Year Old Account
    Don't have pictures but....

Intel(R)Core(TM)-i7-2600 CPU @3.40 GHz

4 Physical cores

8 Logical cores(Again whatever dat means )

AMD Radeon HD 6900 Series

Windows 7

Bask in my old....

I forgot to add 931GB of harddrive space. Someone needs to buy me a new PC >_>
    Last edited by Aeluron Lightsong; 2014-11-09 at 04:12 AM.
    #TeamLegion #UnderEarthofAzerothexpansion plz #Arathor4Alliance #TeamNoBlueHorde

Warrior-Magi

DeltrusDisc, thanks for the comments. I appreciate you taking the time to look things over.

To respond to your points, first let me say a friend of mine who has a IT business built this for me for next to nothing (for his time) and ordered all the parts via his business account with Newegg (I believe) so the prices were not typical retail. Much of the build was simply things I wanted i.e. crazy number of usb ports. The slots can be reused in the future and the cost was negligible. All my software was free for me, and I got everything I needed. I work quite a bit from my computer as well as game. I provide him legal advice upon request so its a bit of horse trading you might say.

OS - Simply that I am familiar with it and since I work from it I did not want to learn a new OS when I am quite happy with W7. My only experience with Windows 8 was after buying a laptop for my mother a year or so ago and hating it. Just personal preference really. I can always move up to the newest OS if I need to by simply bringing it to him and covering his time.

CPU - we were going with the I5 originally but he got a deal/coupon/special (idk) for the I7 that only cost $30 more, couldn't pass that up, so no real cost savings by going with the I5.

Monitors - yes both are older, the 27" inch I bought a number of years ago and paid a premium price at the time but it still works and looks great and the 19" has been new in a box for at least 3 years but cost me nothing, it was given to me.

GPU - for my needs it does the job very well, I set vertical synch and it sustains 60 fps in the most intense raids I can find. Without limiting to the older monitors refresh rate the fps goes as high as 190+ fps even in Org and Shrine. All on Ultra/High settings. That and unless I wanted to pay about $150 to $250 (or more if I went with the GTX 980) I could not get my hands on one. They were out of stock at many online retailers (the reasonably priced ones anyway). I will probably upgrade down the road but it is fine for now.

BluRay - I burn a lot of media, especially for cases involving private investigators and surveillance, to provide to counsel opposite and BluRay works better than multiple DVDs.

PSU - EVGA Supernova 750B, I don't know enough to grade it but I trust my guy to provide me with a decent brand... he is warrantying it.

UPS - I live in the country, plenty of power outages and brown outs so a UPS is a must. I moved up from the older "block" style to the one I listed at his advice.

I wanted something that could be upgraded down the road, a good platform that will last a few years and can be upgraded one or two components at a time without having to go with an entire new computer.

Again thanks for the comments, it was considerate of you to take the time.

Some more pictures:

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by bocephus View Post
    [FONT=Georgia]Computer specs:
    Intel 4.0 GHz Core i7 CPU model 4790K
    Oversized Alu/ CPU Copper cooling unit
    16GB dual channel DDR3 RAM
    500GB; 2x 256GB RAID 0 Samsung Solid state Drives (C: Drive)
    3.0 TB 7200RPM HDD E: drive 2.25 TB, F: drive = (partitioned 750 GB for C: drive back up)
    Internal Backup (automatic complete system backup)
    LG Blu Ray / DVDRW/ CDRW drive
    Hot swap Hard Drive bays (2) for 3.5” SATA Drives
    Media Card reader / USB 3.0/2.0 Front Bay ports.
    NVidia 3D Graphics card GF GTX 750 TI (HDMI, DVI, DisplayPort)
    7.1 sound output (optical and analog)
    Intel Z97 Chipset mainboard
    USB 2.0 and 3.0 front and back (20 in total)
    Ralink RT61 Turbo Wireless LAN Card and Antenna, Wireless N
    750 Watt power supply unit
    Black Full Tower Fractal Case
    I actually quite like the specs there. It's the ultimate WoW build for someone who doesn't want to or isn't interested about overclocking. i7 for higher base clock and multitasking and 750 ti as the minimum card for WoW that's just about enough to not bottle neck you. Also big thumbs up for the Fractal Arc Midi (although what the hell is up with that plastic covering the side window???).

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Someone already linked that video. It was in this thread too, I believe...
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Why would people think the plastic outside of an ESD bag to be conductive? Screw ESD bags, that goes for most kinds of plastic in general.

Quote Originally Posted by Djinni View Post
    Interesting spider woman concept art
    It is actually a painting
    If you zoom, and look on the left of the ear, you will see a chick painted there, and it is called "Motherhood".

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Kostattoo View Post
    it somehow reminds me of a dentist's chair
    And yes, the white model totally looks like one, but my back doesn't hurt when i get up anymore, so I am satisfied

Quote Originally Posted by Ghâzh View Post
    I actually quite like the specs there. It's the ultimate WoW build for someone who doesn't want to or isn't interested about overclocking. i7 for higher base clock and multitasking and 750 ti as the minimum card for WoW that's just about enough to not bottle neck you. Also big thumbs up for the Fractal Arc Midi (although what the hell is up with that plastic covering the side window???).
    LOL, that was taken at my buddies place and it just had not been pulled off the clear panel, its just the sticky plastic. Oh and its a Fractal Arc XL, its freaking huge, but space was only an issue on the inside.... I wanted plenty and it has it.

The rig works very well for what I do. The i7 also has the Turbo on it so it can push 4.3-4.4 if needed. Being based on if it is cool enough it should be I keep the central air on 64 F and the computer room has its own additional single unit set to hi cool as well.

I am running with (no pics);

I5 760 at 3.8 ghz (Rigged to a CM 212 EVO)
    8gb Crucial SP. ram (1600mhz)
    Gigabyte P55a-UD3
    Corsair Force LX 120gb SSD + a Crucial Mx100 256gb SSD
    Club 3D 7950 Royal-Ace at 1100/1575 mhz (core/v-ram clocks, respectively)
    OCZ 600w PSU (can't remember which, I believe it might be a ModxStream)

For a time, I wondered if the PSU could handle the heavily clocked HW, but it has been running at those high clocks for years without probs. My I5 760 is over 4 years old now, but boy does it still run everything i throw at it. Best CPU I have EVER bought!

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Vegas82 View Post
    You don't understand what you're talking about.
    I wouldn't really call that video scientific...

The anti-static effect is because the plastic bag is slightly conductive. It creates (just as he points out) a Faraday cage around the electronic device thus preventing it from being exposed to potential static discharges.

Having the bag be slightly conductive (not up for discussion, this is fact), it is unwise to put any exposed electronics on it even though it will be fine in ~95% of cases. Always avoid putting your new electronics (e.g. motherboard, graphics card, etc) on top of the anti-static bag. Even if the chance is >1%, why take the chance?

TL;DR: The risk is low for anything to happen, but don't put your exposed electronics on top of any ESD bags (or any conductive surfaces for that matter).

EDIT:
    To keep the thread on topic: I made some headphone stands for my headphones. I primarily use my IE80s at this point in time, but have always wanted a proper stand. DIY from IKEA parts. Inspiration from a user on SweClockers forums.

Original idea: http://www.sweclockers.com/galleri/1...lash-ikea-hack
    Last edited by mmoc7c6c75675f; 2014-11-10 at 01:46 AM.

The Unstoppable Force DeltrusDisc's Avatar
    10+ Year Old Account
    Ahhhh. Now there's some headphone stands I can get on board with! Nice and big so the headphones aren't hitting the bottom part!

Mine sucks.
    "A flower.
    Yes. Upon your return, I will gift you a beautiful flower."

"Remember. Remember... that we once lived..."

Quote Originally Posted by mmocd061d7bab8 View Post
    yeh but lava is just very hot water

10+ Year Old Account
    Pfft I'm more of a fan of multi-purpose solutions ^_^

WoW Character: Wintel - Frostmourne (OCE)
    Gaming rig: i7 7700K, GTX 1080 Ti, 16GB DDR4, BenQ 144hz 1440p

Signature art courtesy of Blitzkatze

I think I recommended a banana-hanger or something to someone (nwn?), and would likely again.
    I like yours', Marest, and I can see their appeal. But they would not be something I would go for, too big drawing focus from the cans!

Just got the NZXT LED sleeve kit. I threw in another red cathode light and finally fixed up my cable management.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by tetrisGOAT View Post
    I think I recommended a banana-hanger or something to someone (nwn?), and would likely again.
    I like yours', Marest, and I can see their appeal. But they would not be something I would go for, too big drawing focus from the cans!
    Was it me?

Thinking of the getting the green LED strip from NZXT? worth it? how do you like it so far?

Pit Lord
    10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Drae58 View Post
    Thinking of the getting the green LED strip from NZXT? worth it? how do you like it so far?
    You pay for what you get it. It's not going to be as bright as something like the BitFenix LED connect strips, but it's a fraction of the cost. I've got the white, and they really just illuminate the parts enough so it's not dark inside, but the LED fans help as well. The option to turn them off is nice, but the brightness adjustment isn't really needed since they aren't super bright. Might want to get the 2 meter strip if you want to get them.

http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post30117516
    http://www.mmo-champion.com/threads/...1#post30103387 (pic before last room lights are on, last pic is lights off)

Those are my build of white. Shows a bit of differences is illumination with the lights on/off without the cathode light like the other guy has with his red.

Ones like the bitfenix strips can be blinding though.
    Last edited by Arbiter; 2014-11-11 at 08:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Drae58 View Post
    I love it. Even with 2 red cathodes, some areas in my case wasn't getting good lighting. The sleeve LED highlights the upper mobo and lower right side of my interior nicely.

As for price, I work at Microcenter so I got it the 6 feet version for about $11.