Page 1 of 2
LastLast
    Deleted

Beastmastery the dead spec? need pro help

Hi fellow hunters, i have searched the internet for awnsers but i cant find any satisfying ones, so i turn to the hunter pros and hunterwizards of this forum
    gonna try to make this short but i often write to much...

I played hunter in vanilla and in the first half of BC, then i swiched to another class and now when cata is arriving i decided to give life to my hunter again.

I have always loved to play BM, in BC they where top DPS, and now when i lvld my hunter to 80 and got to some raiding i got tons of whispers/comments like:
    Why do you play BM? BM suck
    why dont you swich to a real spec!
    lol you are a noob because you play BM...
    and so on....

I have browsed forums and searched the internet, cant find any solid info on what status the BM spec is at 85, i read in elitist jerks forum that "all 3 specs are about the same dps"

But from ppls opinions it seems like BM is crap, is it really so? i was planning to raid as BM at 85 but will ppl ever take me in a raid if i am BM?
    i dont need help with rotations and stuff, im a veteran wow player sort of speak ;-) been playing this game from start

Would be nice to get some feedback on this and some person with more knowlegde than me to give some input on this

it would be really sad to not be able to play the spec you love because its not competetive

so cmon ppl! enlight me!

Survival is by far the best at 85 with MM and BM are sitting about even. For a while BM was the best (by a fairly wide margin if memory serves) but Blizz tuned it down. Its possible that in the upcoming months Blizz will re-tune things so the specs are closer to one another in terms of damage, but for now Surv is the way to go (which is sad, I like sending in a big, red Devilsaur).

Surv is going to be nerfed so its more equal, but right now its the best. i gonna play BM anyway, only if my damage REALLY sucks because of it i will use my dual spec instead. i like playing as BM, always loved pets and letting it be important. and BM only pets got EPIC buffs.

10+ Year Old Account
    BM is far From Dead, if you love BM (like me) specc it and have fun watching your oponents be torn apart by crazy Kill command crits. I belive the above posters have posted what is known allready, SV is pulling ahead, but the numbers will be balanced out (hopefuly) after a few patches into cata.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Tevs View Post
    Hi fellow hunters, i have searched the internet for awnsers but i cant find any satisfying ones, so i turn to the hunter pros and hunterwizards of this forum
    gonna try to make this short but i often write to much...

I played hunter in vanilla and in the first half of BC, then i swiched to another class and now when cata is arriving i decided to give life to my hunter again.

I have always loved to play BM, in BC they where top DPS, and now when i lvld my hunter to 80 and got to some raiding i got tons of whispers/comments like:
    Why do you play BM? BM suck
    why dont you swich to a real spec!
    lol you are a noob because you play BM...
    and so on....

I have browsed forums and searched the internet, cant find any solid info on what status the BM spec is at 85, i read in elitist jerks forum that "all 3 specs are about the same dps"

But from ppls opinions it seems like BM is crap, is it really so? i was planning to raid as BM at 85 but will ppl ever take me in a raid if i am BM?
    i dont need help with rotations and stuff, im a veteran wow player sort of speak ;-) been playing this game from start

Would be nice to get some feedback on this and some person with more knowlegde than me to give some input on this

it would be really sad to not be able to play the spec you love because its not competetive

so cmon ppl! enlight me!
    Don't worry my friend. If you love BM, then go and play with it. In terms of DPS, Surv is at top with MM and BM close by a small margin @ lvl 85.
    If people say those 'things' to you. Just ignore them, Bec. most of them (if not, all) who whispers you are prolly living early Wotlk. Who obviously don't know what they're talking about. Beside they're not the one who pays your subscription.
    BTW, BM has never been better this expac.
    Last edited by Qhara; 2010-11-30 at 05:31 PM.

Deleted
    Wow, thx for the fast replies! And its good to see more BM lovers out there. I just love pets and make em redface!! :-)

I hope you guys are correct about that they will even out the specs, i really wanna raid as BM.

PPL tend to forget the 3% damageboost BM hunters give to an entire raid, thats not bad =) in a 10man raid that is 15% more damage if you have 5 DPSers

I don't yet know how big a difference there'll be between Survival (as the current top dps spec) and BM, but my own feeling on it is that if BM is the one you as a player are most used to, most familiar with and happiest playing, then that's probably the spec you'll get the best numbers out of. I levelled my Hunter as BM and loved it, then switched to try out Survival and Marks at 80, and just couldn't get into them, I almost always did as well or better with BM.

If you need to sell BM to a raid group, have a close look at the group and see if they're missing any buffs or debuffs. As BM you'd have the greatest range of options for bringing that extra little bit of raid help of anyone. Of course, there are more likely to be important buff/debuff gaps in a 10-man than 25-man, but they can still happen even with 25. BM is also a good call if a fight calls for someone to kite an add; a BM Hunter can leave his pet, with its pretty substantial dps, on the boss while doing the kiting, for an overall smaller loss of dps (you're only losing 40-50% of a player's dps rather than the 90-ish% another spec might lose).

In a genuinely hardcore guild, the extra few percentage points that Survival has over BM in overall dps may be important. But the reality is that for most guilds, despite what they may think, it won't matter, and just having someone who's not an idiot and puts out decent numbers is the crucial bit. Best of luck!

Mechagnome
    15+ Year Old Account
    I think much of the distain for BM comes from a large portion of the hunter player base having a desire to rely less on a pet. Many hunters would much prefer an Archer or Ranger play style that does not involve using a pet (but this is not available in game). In addition, outside the hunter community, BM is viewed as "EZ-Mode," much due to players disliking being stomped on by "Big Red" during BC. BM's reputation as a "I-win button" spec in BC, coupled with the spec's BC PVE DPS dominance(with little effort i may add - 1 button steadyshot/kc macro ftw) has led to a dislike of the spec.

But hey, its fun, so play it

Deleted
    Its funny Hrethel, i was in a icc10 the other day (pug) and they where missing a shaman. I told em i could bring my core hound to get BL but they didnt belive me! they said i was full of crap, but when we did rotface and i popped BL the all went silent.. i guess non-hunter ppl dont really know what pets do after the patch. I have gotten a collection of pets now so i have all buffs avalible in wotlk (all but shale spider)

I really hope that the bad rep BM hunters has a sdps will wash off soon..

cheers guys!

Honestly, in cataclysm it is going to be more about utility than dps. Of course dps is going to be important, but every single person in the group will now need to bring some sort of utility, and use it. Whether that is trapping, interrupting, whatever. My advice to everyone is simply to turn off recount, turn on omen, and start practicing those jumpshots and chain trapping techniques that used to distinguish good players from the mediocre (and will again in Cata). In other words, "best dps" is a phrase that should raise red flags imo from now on. All of the builds are close enough in dps output that we are now free to play what we enjoy to a certain extent, and if someone is so concerned over an additional 500 dps, then how much attention are they paying to utility?

10+ Year Old Account
    I plan on making a goblin hunter and I used to play BM back in Vanilla. I could care less what other people think is the best spec. If you want to raid as BM and random people give you shit for it, then ignore them and find a nice guild that will be excepting of your speccing choices. Yes, they do exist.
    Right now I am rocking a fire mage, she has been fire for a long time, through the "MUST be arcane!" craze that went on. I did fine.
    On another note, yeah, one spec does tend to come out on top in terms of dps, but its a game that is meant to be fun, that you pay a monthly fee for. And BM is supposed to be on level with MM, which both aren't far behind Survival. Which, to me means, any hunter spec is a good spec.

I love BM as well but I am afraid it's wotlk all over again for BM raiding. Unless bringing any kind of buff thanks to pets balance that, but seeing how it's turning on live.... Folks want mage, sps, balance druids and......more mage

10+ Year Old Account
    the only reason BM is not recognized atm as a raiding spec, is that you rely on your pet a bit to much for dps.

then again blizz has made massive improvements towards pet survivability.

lets see how things pan out shall we?

(p.s. i do not play a hunter as my main but i do have one@80, has been 80 for quiet a while.)
    Still I cry, tears like pouring rain, Innocent is my lurid pain.

10+ Year Old Account
    BM isn't anything like it was in WotLK. For the time being, it's a perfectly viable spec.

Quote Originally Posted by Christan View Post
    the only reason BM is not recognized atm as a raiding spec, is that you rely on your pet a bit to much for dps.
    I can't think of many boss encounters that will kill your pet currently. BM right "now" is certainly a legit raiding spec, especially when you consider that, depending on your group makeup, the pet you choose will provide a missing buff. But in WOTLK, the spec had damage output issues, and I think the reputation is simply going to take a while for folks to forget about.

Quote Originally Posted by Thereign View Post
    BM isn't anything like it was in WotLK. For the time being, it's a perfectly viable spec.
    This. I'm guessing the comments you saw were either old, or spoken from a position of unfamiliarity with the changes since 4.0.1.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

I sure haven't recieved any comments like this for playing BM. If you know what you're doing BM is a perfectly viable spec still, and take advantage of it and get yourself a spiritbeast.

Deleted
    Yeah man, if you enjoy BM just ignore those random guys who still live in wotlk and think BM is useless. As BM you actually do pretty nice damage, also when you get cobra shot in lvl 81 it will be a huge boost in dps. Also in PvP BM is so F**ing nice, KC crits are huge and you can win almost every class in 1v1. In Pve the problem is that if your pet dies you wont do any damage at all. You should explain that to your healers.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    It wouldn't surprise me if Blizz ups BM to close its gap with SV sometime soon at 85. Plus, as BM you can bring pretty much bring any buff to a raid, so it's by no means worthless.

10+ Year Old Account
    For awhile during WotLK, Beast Mastery suffered a very harsh nerf that essentially ruined it's feasibility as a raiding spec. As is mentioned elsewhere, that is no longer the case. The DPS between all three specs is indeed much closer than it used to be and that gives you the freedom to choose what you want to play.

Additionally, pet damage among types (Ferocity, Cunning, Tenacity) has been normalized so that the pets in each category do around the same amount of damage. This means that the need to bring a Wolf is non-existant (since you didn't play a Hunter in Wrath you luckily dodged that bullet).

The beauty of Beast Mastery now though is it's ability to fulfill any buff/debuff slot in a Raid. So, far from being useless, a BM Hunter is now the *Most* useful of the Hunter Specs.

As always, I am a firm believer in playing what you like, but if you enjoyed BM before, no reason to stop doing that now.