Prometheus 2/10

Just an all out bad movie. Besides David being well acted there were zero redeeming aspects. It does more damage to the alien franchise than alien3 did.

Transformers: Age of Extinction

6/10

This movie wasn't any better than the previous ones, in fact they all pretty much look the same. I really hated the ending of Dark of the Moon, and this one is almost just as bad. I really hate it when humans kill off enemy robots so easy, while they shouldn't stand the slighest change since they should get seriously injured after 1 smash.

I really didn't care for the family at all, not that I ever cared about the main characters in the previous movies though. That guy with the beard was pretty cool, forgot his name. And I liked see'ing Kelsey Grammar as a villain, his voice alone >>>>>>> any Transformer movie.

The villain could've been great but had serious flaws, like not even noticing whats happening in his own goddamn ship, so much noise being made while they broke out Optimus yet he didn't notice... and ofcourse the way he died, again by the humans...

Wish we saw more of Galvatron aswell, seems that they just wanted to save him up for the next movie.

The movie lasted way too long, I wouldn't recommend watching this in the cinema.

Field Marshal
    10+ Year Old Account
    Transformers: Age of Extinction 5.5/10

Worst Transformers movie so far. The story was confusing and made no sence, it felt like it had 2 stories in 1 movie and it was too long. But I liked the fight and the action scenes were great. The dinobots were awesome and Hound was a badass.

Transformers: Age of Extinction - 3/10
    If we ignore the plot, characters, etc, and pretend the people who claims that you watch Transformers for the "action, robots and explosions" are right, this movie is still terrible. The effects were great, but the action it was used for wasn't. It was just boring, and with little to no story or context to anchor it in, it appeared as little more than colorful pixels on a screen. It didn't help that the movie was so LONG, and it had so much in it that WASN'T action, robots and explosions.

I've seen far better action this year, i.e. X-Men: Days of Future Past and Noah.
    Last edited by Arrowstormen; 2014-07-05 at 06:04 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    How to train your dragon 2 10/10
    Last edited by Hellravager; 2014-07-06 at 06:41 AM.
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

A Million Ways to Die in the Old West- 3.5/10

Yikes, at least I didn't have to pay to see it...

Maleficent: 7/10
    Having not watched Sleeping Beauty in years and years, I don't remember the details of the original story. The fairies, the blessings, the curse, the prince saves Aurora with true love's kiss, the wall of thorns, and so on - all that I remember, but exactly how the story ended (like did Maleficent die, or just get chased off?) was long forgotten. So I was pleasantly surprised by how the movie ended. There were a few small twists that weren't really necessary but kept the movie interesting (such as Diaval being the dragon as opposed to Maleficent). It would have been nice to see some more of Phillip, even if it was just a little more, the way Stefan was introduced and developed a little at the beginning of the movie. Perhaps that would have made the true love's kiss scene a bit more surprising, but with so little screen time (and after having watched Frozen already), I already expected that someone else would be the one to break the curse. I'd kinda hoped that the kiss would belong to Diaval, but in the end I thought his staying with Maleficent worked better. It didn't feel rushed or slow, which is a plus that seems difficult to accomplish in movies these days. I loved the visuals and would suggest seeing it in the theaters for that reason. The flying scenes were really awesome, and I don't think a TV screen will do them justice.

While I definitely wouldn't consider it high art, Maleficent is a good movie pick for entertainment, and it's quite a ways ahead of Snow White and the Huntsman (which is the most recent example of a similar movie I can think of that I have seen). I give it a 7/10 because, while I enjoyed watching it, and I would probably watch it again, it just wasn't all that memorable. I'm not sure why; I can't put my finger on any major flaws. It's just one of those movies that I found to be good, but not fantastic.

How to Train Your Dragon 2: 8-9/10
    I'm really not sure where to put this one. I had a lot of fun watching it. It made me giggle (a lot), it made me cry, it made me groan, but for much of the movie I probably just had the silliest grin on my face. You see a little bit of development in some of the characters, but most of the fleshing out is done in the first movie, so while you can watch this without seeing the previous one, I'd definitely suggest watching them in order. The animation was stunning and I enjoyed the music, as well. It's not often that I watch a sequel that I feel to be as good as the first movie of a series, but this one was definitely one of them. The plot was predictable, but that doesn't come as a surprise considering I am older than the intended audience.

I had only one issue with the movie that I can think of at the moment: Drago. The villain is the reason why I hesitate to rate the movie a 9/10. Actually, my main issue was his mysterious, unexplained ability to somehow control dragons - was it his staff? His demeanor? The yelling? Some magical power or combination of these? - but the more I think about it, the more I feel unsatisfied with Drago as a whole. There was a lot of wasted potential here: the dragonskin cloak (which gets used approximately 1 time), the prosthetic arm that seems to serve no purpose in the plot, the whole "I hate dragons so I am going to take over the world with dragons!" theme that revolved around him. Perhaps I would have been more satisfied if he'd planned on taking over the world and then making all the dragons kill each other. I dunno. He was played convincingly, though, and to be fair, all these things seemed unimportant while I was watching the movie because HOLY MOTHER OF DRAGONS. I just wish I knew how he was able to control that thing!

Of course I was kind of hoping Hiccup would prove everyone else wrong and be able to somehow convince Drago to see the light, but that wouldn't have been nearly as epic, so I'm okay with that.

It probably seems strange that I'm rating this higher than Maleficent given that I actually have complaints for How to Train Your Dragon 2, but really, I just enjoyed this movie more. And I'm a sap. This movie made me cry; Maleficent didn't, though not for lack of emotion-stirring scenes. I just wasn't as invested in the characters. /shrug
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

10+ Year Old Account
    Maleficent I would give a 9/10 Typically not into fantasy movies, and I don't like Disney much but this was a great film

X -Men FP 7/10 a Lot better than the other films which I thought were just OK.

Deleted
    Edge of Tomorrow (9/10)

I'm quite surprised by the movie. I generally like Alien-Invasion movies very much... "Independance Day" was one of my favorite movies when i was younger (i think it was released when i was 12 or something like that), i also love "Starship Troopers"... so sometimes i even enjoy pretty mediocre movies about the topic (for example World Invasion: LA or War of the Worlds).
    But this movie was simply good!
    Of course there are some very obvious plotholes...
    Why is it possible for a single airplane to fly all the way from London to Paris when the Mimics are easily dominating the whole continent?
    Why is the Omega only guarded by a single Alpha? When the Omega is so extremely important and the only weakpoint at all, wouldn't such a highly developed Alien race not guard it with nearly everything they have? And its not very smart that the Omega is hiding only a few hundread km away from earths biggest military force? It could just hide somewhere where you cant fly by plane in half an hour. And they can just throw some grenades on the Omega and the War is instantly won a little bit too easy.
    The "prototype" to find the Omega just comes out of nowhere. Cage not killing himself or getting killed after having the information he needs doesnt make sense.

the Mimics dont even need their time shifting ability to know about Operation Downfall... we see it being announced even on TV and common people speak about it in London... when everybody knows about it did the military leader really think the Mimics didnt?

Moreover the whole time shifting story and gaining the ability just by touching the blood of an alpha is a little bit far fetched even for a Sci-Fi movie.

BUT it doesnt matter! Watching the movie was very entertaining from beginning to end. I liked the humour very much, the special effects are flawless, the atmosphere is good and in the end the whole time loop concept at least is something fresh and new. The movie reminded me a lot of "Starship Troopers" which a liked very much.
    Last edited by mmoc610696607c; 2014-07-05 at 10:53 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    By Lieutenant Colonel Whiskers McBallofur Maximilliamus the Third
    Quote Originally Posted by Seosaimhin View Post
    Maleficent: 7/10
    Having not watched Sleeping Beauty in years and years, I don't remember the details of the original story. The fairies, the blessings, the curse, the prince saves Aurora with true love's kiss, the wall of thorns, and so on - all that I remember, but exactly how the story ended (like did Maleficent die, or just get chased off?) was long forgotten. So I was pleasantly surprised by how the movie ended. There were a few small twists that weren't really necessary but kept the movie interesting (such as Diaval being the dragon as opposed to Maleficent). It would have been nice to see some more of Phillip, even if it was just a little more, the way Stefan was introduced and developed a little at the beginning of the movie. Perhaps that would have made the true love's kiss scene a bit more surprising, but with so little screen time (and after having watched Frozen already), I already expected that someone else would be the one to break the curse. I'd kinda hoped that the kiss would belong to Diaval, but in the end I thought his staying with Maleficent worked better. It didn't feel rushed or slow, which is a plus that seems difficult to accomplish in movies these days. I loved the visuals and would suggest seeing it in the theaters for that reason. The flying scenes were really awesome, and I don't think a TV screen will do them justice.

While I definitely wouldn't consider it high art, Maleficent is a good movie pick for entertainment, and it's quite a ways ahead of Snow White and the Huntsman (which is the most recent example of a similar movie I can think of that I have seen). I give it a 7/10 because, while I enjoyed watching it, and I would probably watch it again, it just wasn't all that memorable. I'm not sure why; I can't put my finger on any major flaws. It's just one of those movies that I found to be good, but not fantastic.

How to Train Your Dragon 2: 8-9/10
    I'm really not sure where to put this one. I had a lot of fun watching it. It made me giggle (a lot), it made me cry, it made me groan, but for much of the movie I probably just had the silliest grin on my face. You see a little bit of development in some of the characters, but most of the fleshing out is done in the first movie, so while you can watch this without seeing the previous one, I'd definitely suggest watching them in order. The animation was stunning and I enjoyed the music, as well. It's not often that I watch a sequel that I feel to be as good as the first movie of a series, but this one was definitely one of them. The plot was predictable, but that doesn't come as a surprise considering I am older than the intended audience.

I had only one issue with the movie that I can think of at the moment: Drago. The villain is the reason why I hesitate to rate the movie a 9/10. Actually, my main issue was his mysterious, unexplained ability to somehow control dragons - was it his staff? His demeanor? The yelling? Some magical power or combination of these? - but the more I think about it, the more I feel unsatisfied with Drago as a whole. There was a lot of wasted potential here: the dragonskin cloak (which gets used approximately 1 time), the prosthetic arm that seems to serve no purpose in the plot, the whole "I hate dragons so I am going to take over the world with dragons!" theme that revolved around him. Perhaps I would have been more satisfied if he'd planned on taking over the world and then making all the dragons kill each other. I dunno. He was played convincingly, though, and to be fair, all these things seemed unimportant while I was watching the movie because HOLY MOTHER OF DRAGONS. I just wish I knew how he was able to control that thing!

Of course I was kind of hoping Hiccup would prove everyone else wrong and be able to somehow convince Drago to see the light, but that wouldn't have been nearly as epic, so I'm okay with that.

It probably seems strange that I'm rating this higher than Maleficent given that I actually have complaints for How to Train Your Dragon 2, but really, I just enjoyed this movie more. And I'm a sap. This movie made me cry; Maleficent didn't, though not for lack of emotion-stirring scenes. I just wasn't as invested in the characters. /shrug
    I fking loved this song in the movie!
    “Snow can only live in the winter. When it nears a fire, it dies. That is its life. It may yearn for summer, but… it can only desire it. In my hand, the snow becomes water, because this is not its world….”
    “The boundless Heavens and Earth are the final resting place of all living things. Life is like a journey, filled with various scenery, various paths.

Transformers age of extinction
    far too long i feel it would have been much better of they had cut all the useless rubbish and cut the runtime to say the 1hr45min mark

Quote Originally Posted by Hellravager View Post
    I fking loved this song in the movie!
    Indeed, my boyfriend and I both enjoyed this one a lot.
    Quote Originally Posted by High General Turalyon View Post
    First, however, I must escape the clutches of the evil warlock Chris Metzonius of Blizzardonia. Only then may I return to Azeroth and smite the Horde with righteous fury!

Deleted
    Noah 4/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1959490/

I don't even know what these actors where thinking about when they signed up to do this movie, They must of either been committed to contracts with studio or drunk on the sacramental wine, as this film is none of their finest work. it was an interesting idea for a film, especially the inclusion of his family (I know little, and care even less for the mythos of Noah) However it fell short of being truly epic, Had it not been for the A List actors (Crowe, Watson, Hopkins) being included in this movie then I would have skipped it.

Layer Cake 8/10
    http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0375912/?ref_=nv_sr_1
    one of Daniel Craig's best film imo, Telling the story of a cautious drug dealer who is about to retire from the business, when predictably it all goes tit's up. Lots of Dark comical moments, and a lot of English humour that will be lost in translation. Worth a watch if your a Craig fan, or if you like movie's about English gangsters.

Deleted
    I watched Legion : http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1038686/

1/10

It was just pretty bad. Not completly unwatchable but it never really seemed well thought out.

Watched the TV show they have based off it which is pretty trash too. 3/10 I'll give it more time because Anthony Head is in it and hes a boss. But its predictable and lacks action.

10+ Year Old Account
    So I took the advice of a couple people and watched Snowpiercer. 7/10

Very good Sci-Fi, post-apocalyptic flick. Very powerful acting and intense action. It's an easy recommendation to any fan of the genre.
    Mountains rise in the distance stalwart as the stars, fading forever.
    Roads ever weaving, soul ever seeking the hunter's mark.

10+ Year Old Account
    noah..

dont know really.. it was ok i guess
    "it's being bound to work or study that allows us to live like people." Illya

Deleted
    The good thing about this thread is that you can tell when a movie has come out in dvd quality on the internet.

*goes to watch Noah*

10+ Year Old Account
    Transcendence (2014): 5/10

I don't get what's with Hollywood movies always taking the stereotypical approach when it comes to science fiction lately. ORGANIC = GOOD, SYNTHETIC = BAAAAAD (and an additional plethora of other genre stereotypes). OK dude we get it. Most of us aren't huge sci-fi nerds, but always using promising ideas of a script in an extremely superficial and under-developed manner just to satisfy a bigger range of audiences... I don't know, I think that's not a good thing in sci-fi.

Anyway apart from that disappointment, the really bad script let some great actors down, and the result is some very wooden performances, which is not the actors' fault. I gave it a 5 instead of something lower all because of some magnificent cinematography.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-07-06 at 08:45 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    Noah (2014): 7/10

Flawed but captivating, carried by amazing visuals and stunning camera work. The misanthropic, environmentalist and vegetarian fetishes of Noah were interesting but in the end proved to be more weird than actually able to raise questions, I preferred the Darwinian approach of the antagonist to be honest. If you're a devout Christian or firm believer of the bible, it may be a bit controversial. For everyone else, it's not that bad as an epic fantasy, I wish they had made a better screenplay though. Overall, an OK movie I guess, not too cold, but not that hot either.
    Last edited by hellhamster; 2014-07-07 at 09:24 PM.

10+ Year Old Account
    All Is Lost: 8/10

This movie made me feel uncomfortable... and I loved it! I'm going to be honest: if it hadn't been for Robert Redford I would have turned off the movie after 15 minutes. But thank god I didn't turn it off. The moment things started happening this movie was absolutely amazing. Showing the right thing at the right time for the perfect amount of time. A few mishaps and the movie would have been a whole different and honestly boring movie. But the fast cuts and the timing and scarce use of music just fit.

If a not so much character actor or a much younger actor would have been cast this movie probably hadn't worked. Robert Redford showed an amazing performance. Mystery, vulnerability, hopelessness, sadness, conviction and relief. And oh my god that end scene. Gutwrenchingly good.
    I honestly thought he would die. Some could and would argue that he actually died and the hand was just a figment of his imagination but I believe he has been saved. Others could argue that everything was just his last grasp at life before he actually died like in "Jacob's Ladder" but that's a bigger grasp.

Also to not show anyone else not even his saviour was well done and added to the tone of the movie.

TL;DR Not quite as good as Castaway but definitely worth multiple watches.
    Last edited by Feali; 2014-07-07 at 10:22 PM.