Zootopia (2016) - 8/10
    The fifth animated movie Disney Animated Studios has made as part of their "second renaissance". The premise is pretty great, and the movie delivers on it, sure we have seen animals acting like people in animated movies before, but I don't think it has ever been done or spotlighted like it is here. The theme of the movie I actually really liked as well, and all the talk about ethnic minorities and refugees also makes it a very current topic. The characters were great too, along with their voice acting. The movie was funny, and the case they try to crack gave the movie an adventure format, and I love adventures. It does tug a bit at your heartstrings, but I would have liked for them to do it a bit more. The villain and third act were somewhat underwhelming, and it was not too hard to figure out who the culprit was, although not because it was blindingly obvious, but more because there were not too many possible suspects.

I don't really get why some people make a fuss about animals acting as people is weird. (This isn't really in reference to you Arrowstormen, more just an attitude I've seen crop up in reference to Zootopia)

I mean, have they not ever read a comic book before (Funny animals was a major genre at one point...hell, they're still a genre of current comics, even if not a major one) or seen cartoons before? There have been "animals as people" stuff being made since before all of us were born! Hell, it's kind of Disney's thing (And it a big part of why allot of the old school Donald and goofy shorts are funny as hell!), it's not like Mickey and Donald and co have ever really gone away.

*shrugs*
    You must show no mercy, Nor have any belief whatsoever in how others judge you: For your greatness will silence them all!
    -Warrior Wisdom

Quote Originally Posted by Icaras View Post
    I don't really get why some people make a fuss about animals acting as people is weird. (This isn't really in reference to you Arrowstormen, more just an attitude I've seen crop up in reference to Zootopia)

I mean, have they not ever read a comic book before (Funny animals was a major genre at one point...hell, they're still a genre of current comics, even if not a major one) or seen cartoons before? There have been "animals as people" stuff being made since before all of us were born! Hell, it's kind of Disney's thing (And it a big part of why allot of the old school Donald and goofy shorts are funny as hell!), it's not like Mickey and Donald and co have ever really gone away.

*shrugs*
    I don't know many who have been acting like that, but what makes Zootopia a bit different from the standard "human world, animal characters" type of deal (like the animated Robin Hood or Blacksad) is that the fact that they are animals is a major part of it, and the society is centered around accommodating the different types and sizes of animals.

Also, something I forgot to mention in my first post, the movie has a great reference to Godfather.

Deleted
    Dawn of the Planet of the Apes - 7.5/10

If you can ignore the fact that you are watching a movie about intelligent talking apes you are going to have a good time.
    A little bit slow paced to all the action movie fans but i enjoyed it a lot.

Schindler's List (1993) - 8/10
    A very unique film about the Holocaust, which makes it hard to rate and compare with other movies. Probably the ultimate Holocaust movie.

Deleted
    The Departed - 6.5/10

Can someone explain to me why the director of this movie received an oscar if this is an exact copy of the chinese movie Infernal Affairs?
    How in gods name copying a masterpiece gives you an oscar?
    Infernal Affairs was a legend of chinese cinema and all they did was make a crapy copy of it.

Quote Originally Posted by Shadowpunkz View Post
    The Departed - 6.5/10

Can someone explain to me why the director of this movie received an oscar if this is an exact copy of the chinese movie Infernal Affairs?
    How in gods name copying a masterpiece gives you an oscar?
    Infernal Affairs was a legend of chinese cinema and all they did was make a crapy copy of it.
    Well, few agree it is a 'crappy copy'. Scorsese's adaption is largely considered to be far more artful than Lau && Mak's Infernal Affairs; this is also true for the editing, art direction and writing of The Departed.

Film's intelligentsia largely considers The Departed to be more artful than Infernal Affairs.

The Departed is an adaptation. It's not a copy- roles are changes, characters are changed, etc. The overall story is similar, however. That's why The Departed is an adaptation of Infernal Affairs in the context American Irish mafia and Boston, MA.

Infernal Affairs may be well received as well- though The Departed is simply thought to be by the majority of critics and film industry to be a better executed & performed film.
    Last edited by Fencers; 2016-02-13 at 12:29 PM.

Deadpool - 8.5/10
    This was exactly what you'd expect and want it to be. Action, tits, humor. I think my only issue might be that in 10 years, some of the references might not hold up - sort of like how a rapped makes current event mentions in songs.
    Quote Originally Posted by THE Bigzoman View Post
    Meant Wetback. That's what the guy from Home Depot called it anyway.
    ==================================
    If you say pls because it is shorter than please,
    I'll say no because it is shorter than yes.
    ==================================

Deadpool - 9/10
    Would bang again.

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Fencers View Post
    Well, few agree it is a 'crappy copy'. Scorsese's adaption is largely considered to be far more artful than Lau && Mak's Infernal Affairs; this is also true for the editing, art direction and writing of The Departed.

Film's intelligentsia largely considers The Departed to be more artful than Infernal Affairs.

The Departed is an adaptation. It's not a copy- roles are changes, characters are changed, etc. The overall story is similar, however. That's why The Departed is an adaptation of Infernal Affairs in the context American Irish mafia and Boston, MA.

Infernal Affairs may be well received as well- though The Departed is simply thought to be by the majority of critics and film industry to be a better executed & performed film.
    WHAT? Are you serious?

The entire story and plot is a complete copy of the original.
    Every second i was watching this movie i was thinking to myself how a million times better Infernal Affairs is.
    The main antagonist is completely stupid in The Departed. He was a moron and a loser.
    In Infernal Affairs he is one of the smartest guys you have ever seen.
    The ending in Infernal Afairs is a legend and the ending of the Departed is a Disney Movie.

I'm sorry but this topic infuriates me so much you have no idea.
    Infernal Affairs is a legend of cinema and this movie is a crap copy with an alternative ending (and a really bad one)
    Last edited by mmocaf0660f03c; 2016-02-13 at 06:59 PM.

WHAT? Are you serious?

Every second i was watching this movie i was thinking to myself how a million times better Infernal Affairs is.
    The main antagonist is completely stupid in The Departed. He was a moron and a loser.
    The ending in Infernal Afairs is a legend and the ending of the Departed is a Disney Movie.

I'm sorry but this topic infuriates me so much you have no idea.
    Infernal Affairs is a legend of cinema and this movie is a crap copy with an alternative ending (and a really bad one)
    someone is upset not everyone likes the same movies he does.

OT:

Just watched Creed and Spotlight.

Expected a bit more from creed, not sure what though. I don't get all the hype around stallones performance either, he did good but in the end it was just the familiar stallone role.

7/10

Spotlight was really good on the other hand, I'd love it if my catholic family would watch it.

10/10 deserves every oscar nomination 10x more than the Revenant
    People don't forgive, they forget. - Rust Cohle

Deleted
    Quote Originally Posted by Faesroll View Post
    someone is upset not everyone likes the same movies he does.
    I'm not mad at Fencers i am just mad about a director of a movie recieving oscars for a remake of a masterpiece.
    Specially when the original is so much better...if you dont mind watching something in chinese.

WHAT? Are you serious?
    Yes. One can look it up; The Departed is rated higher by critics.

Yes, because it is an adaption. It's been a while since I seen Infernal Affairs but I do believe some of the plot is different.

Perhaps you are being hyperbolic purposefully? I am not sure your language is accurate.

Okay? We have lots of differing opinions on films here. That is the point of the thread. But if you ask why The Departed was highly regarded, I answered factually.

That's cool. It's just a unimportant and minority opinion irrelevant to your question above.

Not sure ranting is necessary.

- - - Updated - - -

Deadpool 6/10

It was pretty decent. Good screenplay and direction. I felt the R rating the boldest and most fantastic aspect of the film; it's what allowed most of the jokes to work so well. The action scenes while good were rather thin- good, but not a enough of it. Such that I felt the film only had 3 actual action scenes over it's run time. Paltry.

Also the lower budget of the film really showed. Weak cinematography, soundtrack, foley effects, limited action scenes and limited location shooting all revealed the budget of the film.

I am not really a fan of this style of 'humor'. Though I can see how a superhero movie with this rating and humor will do well at the box office.

Deadpool (8/10)
    The jokes fly so fast and thick I missed some. And the audience didn't quite catch that the opening credits were also gags. There were scenes that really ripped into the X-Men series (and especially Wolverine) that made me go gah! (an action figure of that particular DP...was simply...ouch)
    The sequence when he's fighting Colossus had me laughing for 10 minutes so hard I hurt myself.
    On top of that, it was a damn good movie. There were even a few moments that were almost touching...not that it balances out all the other "touching" moments. "Teabag!"

Citizen Kane (1941) - 8/10
    The quintessential "man who has everything, but is still sad" story/character study. It's an interesting and unique watch, but I rarely think the classic movies are amazing, the old way of making film is often too big of a hurdle for me to fully enjoy them and get super immersed in the experience.

Deleted
    Deadpool 6/10

A self aware film, with good gags and a paper thin plot. My problem is that, even with a comedy focused hero, the plot and antagonist can still be interesting, but these were definitely not.

I'm not sure whether the action is supposed to be that generic to make fun of super hero movies, or that they just had a bad budget and couldn't afford to actually showcase Deadpool's battle prowess.

A good stab at a less popular character. I hope the sequel can remedy the problems the first has.

Quote Originally Posted by Ula View Post
    Deadpool 6/10

A self aware film, with good gags and a paper thin plot. My problem is that, even with a comedy focused hero, the plot and antagonist can still be interesting, but these were definitely not.

I'm not sure whether the action is supposed to be that generic to make fun of super hero movies, or that they just had a bad budget and couldn't afford to actually showcase Deadpool's battle prowess.

A good stab at a less popular character. I hope the sequel can remedy the problems the first has.
    What was wrong with the action scenes? They looked great and were well made in my opinion.

10+ Year Old Account
    Cut Snake - 7/10

Solid film overall. The cinematic style + building tension and homoeroticism saved it from being blah.

Pride and Prejudice and Zombies - 8/10 I rather enjoyed it.

Deadpool - 9/10 I thought it was a lot of fun, but I had to ding it a point for making Colossus a bit of a pansy.

Deadpool - Easily 9/10, and honestly I'm not sure why I wouldn't call it 10/10.