10+ Year Old Account
    The Cakemaker - 9/10

A delicate take on grief and longing with a ravenous undercurrent deftly contained by the lead actors. A magnificent film.

10+ Year Old Account
    John Carter 5/10
    This movie was just all around kinda dumb. Also, while I get where the source material comes from "white man saves the natives" doesn't make for a good movie premise anymore. Especially when you're making him Superman at the same time.

Jumanji 6/10
    This movie is held up entirely by Jack Black's performance. Wow...I did not think those words would ever come out of my mouth. Long story short: kids get thrown into Jumanji 'cause Jumanji needs help and then we get to watch a big budget LARP. Except Jack Black is the only actor who actually tries to act like just 5 minutes ago he was a twitter-obsessed teenage girl. The rest of the actors are basically themselves in every other role they've been in and every once in a while remember to toss in an "oh yeah, I used to be a NERD!" moment.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

The Ballad of Buster Scruggs - 9/10

Beautifully shot, perfect casting and just left me wanting more!
    In terms of the 6 stories I thought it started with its best and ended on a fairly weak one.

The Nutcracker: 5/10

Re-imagined grim dark fantasy like Alice in Wonderland. Was kid-friendlier, but suffered from poor pacing and muddied plot. There was however an unpredictable plot twist which was appreciated.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by Belize View Post
    Just saw Dentastix Beasts 2

Good, but incredibly sequel setupy. Also lol those retcons
    Retcons? Explain.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Al Gorefiend View Post

Retcons? Explain.
    I don't want to spoil movie stuff, but there's some really obvious crap they decided to throw in the movie as references, like McGonagall... Even though she wasn't born at the time.

Obliviate only working on "Bad memories" is another blatant one, because it invalidates Hermione Oblivitating her parents.

The Clovenhitch Killer 9/10

I was honestly shocked at how good this movie was. I expected a mediocre movie about school shootings for some reason, but I was very wrong. Very clever throughout, solid and clean writing, great acting and casting, perfectly paced. This movie won't win any oscars but damn it was good. It's more like an 8/10 but I have to give it bonus points for just how clean and clever it was. On another level of quality that will easily go over some people's heads.

First Man (second viewing). Just brilliant. What a story. Great sound effects throughout the film, some of Claire Foy's lines practically made me burst into tears. What a ride.

Quote Originally Posted by Arrowstormen View Post
    Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018) - 7/10 (B)

As a Potterfan, and a fan of fantasy in general I suppose, it's enjoyable enough. It lacks in the wow-factor department though, nothing stood out to me as a "big" moment. Lots of neat things here and there. The movie mostly felt like setup for the next one, and it erased some of the "endings" from the first movie, as if the original intent was for each movie to be somewhat separate with it being about Newt on some new adventure in a new city with a new cast of characters, with the Grindelwald stuff in the background. Instead this movie seems to build towards making the whole thing be about the fight against Grindelwald. Hopefully the payoff of that setup is better than the setup itself.
    Hm... I enjoyed the first one, so I might see this one if I have nothing better to do. Your last line doesn't leave me hopeful.

Deleted
    fatastic beasts 2

6/10

first one was much better

10+ Year Old Account
    Logan 8/10

Yes, I finally got around to seeing it. Good movie all around.
    Human progress isn't measured by industry. It's measured by the value you place on a life.

Just, be kind.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by candys View Post
    They Shall Not Grow Old - moving and amazing (although not as amazing as some say) documentary about world war one with actual footage from the war made colour and interviews from soldiers from the BBC archives. 4/5
    It is amazing considering it's from WW1. You can hardly find such good footage from WW2.

WW1 is a lot more interesting than WW2 anyway.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i've said i'd like to have one of those bad dragon dildos shaped like a horse, because the shape is nicer than human.
    Quote Originally Posted by derpkitteh View Post
    i was talking about horse cock again, told him to look at your sig.

10+ Year Old Account
    The Happytime murders 6/10

Will I ever watch that movie again? No, but it was an okay time waster. Had some funny moments and some dull. If you have 90 mintues and have absolutely nothing else to do... give it a shot.

Ballad of Buster Scruggs 8/10

Might be a little generous. But overall enjoyed it. Cohen brothers did a great job returning to a style I like from them. Enjoyed all the stories, directing was great, and the acting was spot on as well. The songs were pretty solid all the way round and the mix between song and dialogue was great. The use of silence or lack of conversation in a lot of the scenes was a deft touch.

Wreck-It-Ralph 2: Ralph Breaks the Internet
    Pretty much as good as the first one; Calhoun is still a dynamite gal (altho there wasn't enough of her in it). Not as self-serving for Disney as the trailers make it out to be, altho the princess cameos were actually plot-relevant! A couple other surprise cameos, too. A lot of fun jokes for the adults/internet-savvy. If your kids want to go, take them.

9/10

- - - Updated - - -

Obliviate only working on "Bad memories" is another blatant one, because it invalidates Hermione Oblivitating her parents.
    Jacob wasn't actually Obliviated tho; it was the serum that the Thunderbird added to the storm that erased his memories, and Fantastic Beasts even said it erased bad memories.
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Jacob wasn't actually Obliviated tho; it was the serum that the Thunderbird added to the storm that erased his memories, and Fantastic Beasts even said it erased bad memories.
    Iirc they specifically say obliviate in the movie.

Iirc they specifically say obliviate in the movie.
    Newt says something like “but you were obliviated”, but he was paraphrasing(?). Regardless it isn’t a retcon, at worse Newt misspoke
    You're not allowed to discuss conspiracy theories on mmo-champion, which makes me wonder what they're trying to hide.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by Kalcheus View Post
    Newt says something like “but you were obliviated”, but he was paraphrasing(?). Regardless it isn’t a retcon, at worse Newt misspoke
    I think that if we have to go down the line of "What he meant was..." it means that it could have been written a hell of a lot better. Scripts aren't spontaneous conversations, someone should have looked at this and said "hm, does this contradict the previous lore?"

I think that if we have to go down the line of "What he meant was..." it means that it could have been written a hell of a lot better. Scripts aren't spontaneous conversations, someone should have looked at this and said "hm, does this contradict the previous lore?"
    While I'm not above considering bad writing as the factor, I feel like the most likely scenario was JKR wanting to paraphrase. That said, based on what we saw in Fantastic Beasts, his "obliviation" was not the same as Hermione did with her parents, and is internally consistent to what was stated in FB.

My Bloody Valentine 1981 9/10

Outstanding horror movie that sadly never got a sequel. Frequently listening to the theme song while playing WoW. Can't think of a single bad thing regarding this movie. (Other than not to watch the cut or movie theater version)

Fantastic Beasts 2. 9/10 *would have gotten a 10..but was a bit confused*
    The hunter hoe with the least beloe.