10+ Year Old Account

Help With Fire Spec

I need a little help please. I recently starting running my mage in fire spec and I've gotten the priority system rolling just fine, however my numbers are severly lacking. I'm decently geared (386 ilvl) and have read over the different compendiums for fire spec on the normal sites but I'm missing something. Where I'm lost at is the exact spells to cast when. Again I know the priority system but I'm supposed to wait for this to crit and that to proc to cast this and so on. Also having major trouble understanding the spreading of LB. Can someone simplify it for me please?
    Last edited by shootyadead; 2012-05-06 at 07:19 AM.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Link your armory so we can look through your gems, reforges, enchants, spec and glyphs.

That being said: Haste to 2005 Rating or 1505 rating if you have 4t13. After that, mastery is better than haste, and crit is always best. If you have less than 1555 haste in 4t13, never cast Combustion with less than 10 stacks of Stolen Time. The exception to this is if you have Insignia of the Corrupted Mind, which lets you cast Combustion regardless of stacks as long as the trinket is active.

Once you're in raid:

Hardcast Pyro on the pull, and only on the pull. This puts up Critical Mass, and CM should always be on the target.
    Keep Living Bomb up on your target, but always let it explode. Don't refresh it early.
    Keep Flame Orb on cooldown.
    Unless you have an addon to track your ignite ticks, wait until after a big pyroblast crit to cast Combustion.

Dot Spreading:

Your Impact talent will cause a proc that finishes the cooldown on your Fire Blast spell and causes it to spread any dots on your target to all targets around it. During combat, the only time you will ever use Fire Blast is when there are adds around to spread dots to. Let's take Black phase of Yor'sahj as an example.

You run out, kill the slime, then get back to the boss and start putting up your dots. Get Living Bomb up, spam your Fireball and fish for a Hot Streak proc with a good sized ignite while the adds are spawning. About the time the adds all get to where you're stacked up, you'll ideally have all three dots on Yor'sahj. When they're all coming in, hit Combustion to get it rolling, then Blast Wave all the adds to force an Impact proc. As soon as it pops up, hit Fire Blast and your Living Bomb will spread to two of the adds (since it's got a three target limit), and Ignite, Pyroblast, and Combustion dots will spread to every add in the pull.

The reason you use Blast Wave is because of Improved Flamestrike and the mechanics of Impact. Impact has a 10% chance to proc whenever a spell deals damage. If you Blast Wave on 8 mobs at once, that's 8 chances for Impact to proc. The free instant Flame Strike also hits those same 8 mobs, each hit also having a chance to proc impact. Usually you'll be able to "force" it to proc when you need it like this.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by DarkSoul View Post
    Link your armory so we can look through your gems, reforges, enchants, spec and glyphs.

That being said: Haste to 2005 Rating or 1505 rating if you have 4t13. After that, mastery is better than haste, and crit is always best. If you have less than 1555 haste in 4t13, never cast Combustion with less than 10 stacks of Stolen Time. The exception to this is if you have Insignia of the Corrupted Mind, which lets you cast Combustion regardless of stacks as long as the trinket is active.

Once you're in raid:

Hardcast Pyro on the pull, and only on the pull. This puts up Critical Mass, and CM should always be on the target.
    Keep Living Bomb up on your target, but always let it explode. Don't refresh it early.
    Keep Flame Orb on cooldown.
    Unless you have an addon to track your ignite ticks, wait until after a big pyroblast crit to cast Combustion.

Dot Spreading:

Your Impact talent will cause a proc that finishes the cooldown on your Fire Blast spell and causes it to spread any dots on your target to all targets around it. During combat, the only time you will ever use Fire Blast is when there are adds around to spread dots to. Let's take Black phase of Yor'sahj as an example.

You run out, kill the slime, then get back to the boss and start putting up your dots. Get Living Bomb up, spam your Fireball and fish for a Hot Streak proc with a good sized ignite while the adds are spawning. About the time the adds all get to where you're stacked up, you'll ideally have all three dots on Yor'sahj. When they're all coming in, hit Combustion to get it rolling, then Blast Wave all the adds to force an Impact proc. As soon as it pops up, hit Fire Blast and your Living Bomb will spread to two of the adds (since it's got a three target limit), and Ignite, Pyroblast, and Combustion dots will spread to every add in the pull.

The reason you use Blast Wave is because of Improved Flamestrike and the mechanics of Impact. Impact has a 10% chance to proc whenever a spell deals damage. If you Blast Wave on 8 mobs at once, that's 8 chances for Impact to proc. The free instant Flame Strike also hits those same 8 mobs, each hit also having a chance to proc impact. Usually you'll be able to "force" it to proc when you need it like this.
    Soooooo very helpful, seriously. I appreciate it greatly. Can't link my armory at the moment but my mage is Freezesucka - US Kalecgos if you wanna check it out.
    "I am the hope of the universe. I am the answer to all living things that cry out for peace. I am the protector of the innocent. I am the light in the darkness. I am truth. Ally to good! Nightmare to you!!!"

Also, as far as flame orb goes be careful using it when trying to build ignites for combustion. You can get a monster ignite from a pyro crit and have it get munched by flame orb. Besides that Darksoul is spot on.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by propayne View Post
    Also, as far as flame orb goes be careful using it when trying to build ignites for combustion. You can get a monster ignite from a pyro crit and have it get munched by flame orb. Besides that Darksoul is spot on.
    Oh ok, I'll have to watch out for that. I dl a couple of addons today to see if they could help me a little better and I did improve a little. Hardest thing for me is timing everything and not losing 90% of a big ignite, but I guess that comes with practice.

Looked over your Armory. All your orange gems should be Potent (int/crit) from here on out. Don't forget to gem and enchant your ring. Also, I recommend the Dragon's Breath glyph instead of Mana Shield for the shorter cooldown on it. It helps force Impact procs as a last resort.

Get the Insignia of the Corrupted Mind and the Gloves of Liquid Smoke to replace your t13 hands and you'll be in good shape for normal modes.

10+ Year Old Account
    Yeah I just got the ring earlier and had to go really quickly so I didnt' have time to mess with gems, etc. I also am going to reforge away from haste on everything (as close to 1505 as I can) and into crit. I won the Insignia (normal) earlier today on my shaman, so now I just have to get it on this toon as well and hopefully the gloves can drop for me sometime soon also. I changed my prime glyphs around when I added fire as my 2nd spec but I never messed with the Major ones so I'll definitely have to do that as well.
    Last edited by shootyadead; 2012-05-07 at 05:34 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shootyadead View Post
    Yeah I just got the ring earlier and had to go really quickly so I didnt' have time to mess with gems, etc. I also am going to reforge away from haste on everything (as close to 1505 as I can) and into crit. I won the Insignia (normal) earlier today on my shaman, so now I just have to get it on this toon as well and hopefully the gloves can drop for me sometime soon also. I changed my prime glyphs around when I added fire as my 2nd spec but I never messed with the Major ones so I'll definitely have to do that as well.
    Good luck getting insignia I've been waiting for it to drop for months I did get a cunning though so at least I got something rare