Red face DirectX 11 @ Release

Hey all, just a quick question. This may belong in a different area in the forums, but do any of you know if Direct X 11 will be part of WoWs engine with out modifying a shortcut or editing the Config.wtf file now with Cataclysm being out. Or would we still have to do the shortcut/config.wtf changes to get the Direct X 11 performance? Thanks

You still have to specify it yourself, otherwise WoW will go DX9 on you.

DirectX 11 in World of Warcraft only really effects the water (or so I thought, think, assume?), and based on my own tests it has a bit of an issue and that is that it kills Frames Per Second regardless of system.

Core i7 980x
    2 x GTX 580
    6 GB DDR3 (2000MHz)

And I dip from my capped 120FPS to around 80 whenever I look at water.

15+ Year Old Account
    There is a third option though that nobody mentions.

1. Config file setting
    2. Shortcut setting
    3. Typing "/console gxApi D3D11" and closing your client completely, and then reopening it.

That SHOULD work.
    Global Moderator | Forum Guidelines

Quote Originally Posted by Simca View Post
    There is a third option though that nobody mentions.

1. Config file setting
    2. Shortcut setting
    3. Typing "/console gxApi D3D11" and closing your client completely, and then reopening it.

That SHOULD work.
    What is the whole process?

Hmm, interesting Simca. Yeah never heard of that technique to enable it. May check that out.

10+ Year Old Account
    Or in the WTF config file add the line

SET gxApi "d3d11"

at the end and then start wow
    Victoria Aut Mors

He/She is just listing the three different ways to enable the DX 11

---------- Post added 2010-12-07 at 06:14 AM ----------

Alright, well that answers my question, thanks for the quick responses all.

10+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by ThewF View Post
    DirectX 11 in World of Warcraft only really effects the water (or so I thought, think, assume?), and based on my own tests it has a bit of an issue and that is that it kills Frames Per Second regardless of system.

Core i7 980x
    2 x GTX 580
    6 GB DDR3 (2000MHz)

And I dip from my capped 120FPS to around 80 whenever I look at water.
    Interesting enough, enabling DX11 increases my FPS. Heh.

nm....found what i needed
    Last edited by xuspira; 2010-12-07 at 06:20 AM. Reason: Because I don't post fast enough

Yeah I just Vsynch my client. Never have droped below 60FPS, WG/Dala/Raids, so I love my AMD X6 1090/ATI 6870 XFire setup. And ALOTless expensive on my wallet then building yet another Intel build. Though I suppose a 5.2Ghz OCd 1090 on a nice Danger Den does help with the CPU bottneck ><. Beast at encoding 1080P/Audio to0o. Oh and yeeah the money I saved with AMD setup it helped me buy a new American made Fender Jazz Fretless bass guitar <3
    Last edited by Kataclysmic; 2010-12-07 at 06:23 AM.

15+ Year Old Account
    Quote Originally Posted by LunarionSilver View Post
    Interesting enough, enabling DX11 increases my FPS. Heh.
    Increases my FPS as well. GTX 470 SC

I feel I need to add to my previous post, Enabling DirectX11 does increase my FPS as long as I'm not in the general area of Water or looking directly at water. However because I have capped my FPS at 120 I don't notice the increases (doesn't matter anyway, my monitor can't display higher then 120FPS as it's maximum refresh rate is 120) but I notice large decreases which is to be expected from such a graphical advancement but I feel that the decreases are far greater then what I should be experiencing from a system that pushes 60+ FPS in Crysis in 1080P with the maximum settings.

All I really need to do is run the game in DirectX 9 mode or just run it in DirectX 11 mode and turn down the water detail. (that or stop looking at water).

Deleted
    Can i do same thing with DX10?

I tried enabling it a couple of weeks ago, fps at first seemed fine, then turned into a slideshow for some reason so I removed the option and went back to the old, as someone said it only effects water, and it looks the same to me regardless of the setting.